Author Topic: Sophie Is Here!  (Read 8892 times)

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Sophie Is Here!
« on: February 12, 2005, 11:57:30 AM »
Hi there!!

Well, Sophie is here - and she is absolutely adoreable!!!

She travelled really well in the car - no whining at all!  :D

When we got to the house we kept her on a loose lead so that she could sniff her way about and meet THE CAT  ;)

Sophie barked at the cat (she has the huskiest bark I have ever heard!!) but the cat just stared at her, hissed and that was it - introductions over!  Sophie has jumped right up on the bed not knowing that the cat was there and they touched noses - but that went ok, so I think that will be fine!

She slept on the bed with me, which I am not too keen on as I don't want her getting too close to me, but it was only as the crate that the breeder was going to give me a loan of was too big for my wee car - so if I need it they will bring it over in their van.   That gives me time to buy one of our own as she is used to being crated and I don't want her getting stressed when we are out.

I woke up this morning with her on my pillow!  :rolleyes:

We took her out a long walk this morning as it had dried up a bit and she loved it!  She barked at the first few passing dogs, but it was a nice bark - more a sort of "look at me" bark!   :lol:

Everyone said "oh, is she just young - and I said, well she is nearly 6" and they were all taken aback!  

She is very clingy though - following me everywhere, so I am making a point of ignoring her sometimes so that she doesn't get too attached.

So - the upshot of it is, I think she will be staying!

She is exactly what I hoped she would be  :)  
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline daunting

• Site Member
Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 12:07:48 PM »
So pleased you first night and the meeting with the cat went well, she sounds lovely :D
Piccies soon please :D

Donna, *Tia*, Saffi, Max, Harley, Egan, Mia

http://hope-rescue.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 12:14:06 PM »
It's looking good isn't it - I had a feeling it would work out well for you  :) It also sounds like you've got your head screwed firmly on - get her used to small absences from you so she doesn't become too clingy and is less anxious about being on her own for a while, and get her off the bed! :D No, seriously, if you want her in the bedroom that's cool but I still think it's a good idea for her to have some limitiations i.e. sleep on the floor or in her crate etc, whatever you decide.

So where is the picture then??  ;)

Mike

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 12:38:11 PM »
Exellent news  :D
I hope you'll all have a brilliant time together!!
Cheers,
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline PennyB

Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 12:41:37 PM »
It's looking good isn't it - I had a feeling it would work out well for you  :) It also sounds like you've got your head screwed firmly on - get her used to small absences from you so she doesn't become too clingy and is less anxious about being on her own for a while, and get her off the bed! :D No, seriously, if you want her in the bedroom that's cool but I still think it's a good idea for her to have some limitiations i.e. sleep on the floor or in her crate etc, whatever you decide.

So where is the picture then??  ;)

Mike
I agree with Mike.  A lot of older rescues will be clingy (even if they've come from a loving home) but you've just got to get on sometimes as if they've always been there (which is what it seems you're doing anyway).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 12:42:30 PM »
Brilliant news - can't wait to see pic's.

We've just been out with the boys and found a new field where it's doggies off lead paradise :lol:  Met up woth two working strain Cockers - the four of them were lovely together and my boys behaved very well - for a change :D

Here's hoping you get lots of similar times with Sophie ;)  
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 12:49:40 PM »
That's great news, Tiggerbabe :) .  I'm really pleased that it's worked out so well for you and for Sophie.  It's good to hear that she and the cat don't have too much of a problem with each other.  And, as Mike and Pammy have said.....We want pics!!! :D  
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2005, 12:51:31 PM »
What lovely news  :)  so glad things seem to be working out for you  ;) keep us all informed on Sophie's progress  :)  

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2005, 12:55:48 PM »
:) Aw Tiggerbabe - I'm so pleased for you, your post brought tears to my eyes, you sound so happy after your long wait.  Sophie sounds adoreable  :wub:  and its a lovely name.  

:) Have fun with her and as others have said - piccys please!!!   :lol:  

Big hugs from us x
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline tiggerbabe

• Site Member
    • BusyPaws Dogwalking & Pet Care
Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2005, 01:12:12 PM »
Hi there!

Thanks everyone - it does seem to be going well so far doesn't it!!

The only thing I have noticed so far is that Sophie has pee'd on the hall carpet a few times - but she hasn't shown any signs before hand that she was needing out so I have just had to catch her at it and whisk her outside!

I have noticed that she does get a bit stressed when in the same room as the cat, pacing about and the odd bark.  Then a pee follows shortly later - so I think the two are connected, do you think it might just be nerves?  

She didn't do it during the night, just about 20 mins ago and also when she first arrived last night?

:(    
Aileen & Beau xx

Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started

Offline Sass

• Site Member
Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2005, 01:25:18 PM »
Just wanted to add my congratulations, I'm so pleased for you. xx
Sass and Alfie xx

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2005, 01:25:51 PM »
I think the signs will be there, you just have to learn to look for them. Kind of like going back to basics in terms of toilet training, even though some of her training may be intact - it's all about establishing a toilet routine for her.

She may well be a bit anxious around the cat - especially if s/he hissed at her, cockers are a bit wimpy you know  :D But then it's only day one, so it's going to be a while before she settles in anyway - don't get disheartened :)  

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2005, 01:26:54 PM »
T

Treat her just as you would a new puppy with the toilet training. She has to get used to so many new things that she's likely to be confused and so will need some help in learning what to do and toilet training is one of those areas she#s likely to need  help with.

Have a look at the FAQ on toilet traning a new puppy. That'll give you some pointers.

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2005, 02:03:32 PM »
Congratulations on Sophie's arrival, sounds like you've both landed lucky! :D   I'm sure she'll be one of the family in no time, she sounds so sweet.  Look forward to seeing her pics in the gallery. x
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

scoobie

Sophie Is Here!
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2005, 02:10:45 PM »
Tiggerbabe  :D Sophie sounds a little peach :D Im sure once she gets used to her new family and different environment she will soon settle in ;) just want to ask and it might sound stupid but does she know which door to go to when she needs to 'ask' for a wee because she would have learned that in her old house but maybe not so sure in her new house..just a thought anyway your sounding as if your both getting on great :D