Author Topic: How did you decide of your Cockers name  (Read 3966 times)

Offline minimoo

• Donator
Re: How did you decide of your Cockers name
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 04:00:43 PM »
 Kizzy (r.i.p) was Kate when i got her but i had a cat called Kate , so i called her Kizzy  :luv: , Bruno(r.i.p) just seemed like a Bruno  :luv: , Ella was Nel when i got her but i wasnt much on that name but i do call her smelly nelly quite alot  :D, Bailey was 6 months old when i got him and the breeder called him Baby Boy, so i went with Bailey as it was close and it suited him being chocolate  :luv: and Milo was called Milo by his breeder and he answered to it and we liked it so we stuck with it  :luv:
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Sue67

• Site Member
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 04:02:10 PM »
Indy is shortend from her kc name of Indiana Blue - Indiana after the Indiana Jones films and Blue because she's a blue roan.

Offline pennylopey

• Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 04:26:28 PM »
We have no real reason, before we picked him up we had a shortlist (Alfie, Arthur and Dennis) and the kids argued over Alfie and Arthur so we flipped a coin and he became Alfie!

It does suit him now though, he's very cheeky!
Missing Alfie 26/05/2011 - 31/07/2020

Offline lemoniee

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 07:37:12 AM »
Holly, a blue roan (r.i.p) was named as she was a gift at christmas (don't worry she was sure for life not just for xmas!) She was also so laid back and chilled which is how I like to be at xmas.....sometimes doesn't go to plan!

Delta.....well....! I had a handfull of names; layla, macie,millie,wispa, and fella wanted flash As she has a flash of white on her chest though for a girl I didn't think it suited.....so we sat there looking at her and my bro said, "what about a car name....my fave car.....a lancia delta intergralis" erm bit of a mouthful but I we all really liked the named delta so it stuck, she's known as delta doo, doodles, delty.....always a conversation starter when some1 asks her name!

Offline Deb

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 08:11:47 AM »
Bailey was initially called "Benson" by his breeder, because he was the colour of a packet of Benson and Hedges cigarettes, but when we saw him I thought he was more the colour of the drink. We don't smoke, but do occasionally enjoy Baileys, so we switched. Bailey also apparently likes Baileys, judjing by his reaction when he smells the drink. Don't worry though, he only gets to sniff - he's too young to partake, or at least that's what we tell him!

Our previous friend was a rough collie, and we had various names thrown into the hat by our daughter and son, the most memorable being "Blossom", to which my husband said "I'm not walking round the park shouting "Come here Blossom"! The breeder informed us that his KC name was "Cool Dude the Third", and that prompted "Casey".
Deb and Bailey

Offline tillydog

• Site Member
  • Rommel & Lady
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 09:36:03 AM »
Lady was 7 yrs old when we rescued her from the RSPCA, so already came with the name. We felt that it wouldnt be fair to change her name after 7 years. She does however get called some other nicnames which she answers to!!

Offline redlottie

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 09:45:23 AM »
Before we got Otto we had a few names but when we met him he just seemed like an Otto no other reason for the name really.

Albie is named after a character in Only Fools and Horses - Albie Littlewood, I don't know why because you never actually see the character just hear reference to his name and I liked it.  Albie now actually answers to 'Albie' and 'Littlewood' which always makes me laugh  :005:

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 09:47:49 AM »
When I got my American cocker, I wanted a typical American name... It took me a while to find it, but I found Jesse James, which is Jesse's full name (Jesse is a very popular boy's name in the States).  ;)

Skye, my English cocker, was only meant to be a temporary foster that needed a name change, but she stayed. Having said that I always said that if I had a female dog, it would be Skye... and it really suits her.  :luv:
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Sally and Mark

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
My Boys kc name is Finebarn Virtual Guy so we called him Finn.

so the breeder called him that up until we came to collect him.

We made several trips to see him before our gotcha day (1st anniversary Sun 9th! )

we would tell family we were off to see Finn at finebarn  :D

Offline GinnyB

• Mali, my gorgeous golden girl
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 10:27:59 PM »
When I got Mali I wanted her to have a Welsh name because we live in Wales and she came from a Welsh breeder. I wanted a short name and it came down to Nia or Mali but settled on Mali (which sounds like Sally, not the country Mali) because of a series of Welsh language childrens' books called Salli Mali. Mali is Welsh for Molly  :luv:

Elsie is a blue roan and seemed to suit an old lady's name. Blue roan = blue rinse = Elsie  :005:  :luv:
Elsie my beautiful bluey

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2011, 08:00:56 AM »
Henry after hubby's grandad, Jasper after Jasper carrot he's my red head, George after the Clooney (swoon), Sydney after my grandad, Harry is after Houdini as he was always escaping the puppy pen. Jethro the pointer is named after Leroy Jethro Gibbs from NCIS (swoon again) and Dhali Jethro's sister came to us at four months came with her name so we just changed the spelling to make her ours she mostly gets called Dharls bless her.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Doogers

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 08:13:54 AM »
Indie came from a mixture of my love for Indie music and us really liking the name! :D

Originally it was going to be India to follow our last beautiful black cocker called Asia, but Indie defo sounds better!!

Asia 31/1/2002-24/1/2011

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2011, 08:23:14 AM »
Charlie because both of us had Grandads called Charles, and it seemed to suit him.

Dexter is after the TV show  :005:
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline wendyt

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »
Murphy because his dad was called Paddy and we thought we'd keep to the irish theme. :D
Indy because he was the most independant puppy in his litter. :D

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 02:42:21 PM »
Lily, my first cocker, was already named.................she suited it too, so we had no intention of trying to change it. 

I chose a Spanish name for Luis, because cockers were first discovered in Spain (I believe).   Oliver was named by my granddaughter.............she looked into his eyes when we brought him home from the breeder and said 'Oh you have to be called Oliver.......'

Then we have Freya, who was also named by the breeder.

:luv: :luv:
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx