Author Topic: Rehoming  (Read 3455 times)

Offline SteveB

• Donator
Rehoming
« on: November 18, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »
This is relevant to a topic that was discussed on here a while ago.
This is an ad in freeads

Can't post what I think

£ 150

Posted 17-Nov-2011

Hi

I am reluctantly selling my 5 and a half month old worker cocker spaniel ..... She is mirco chipped and fully vaccinated.
 Reason for sale is i have 5 children one of which has aspergers syndrome, and saldy they both need alot of attention. I am going to be very honest and say she is showing signs of fearing him which is why i will not allow her to be homed with small children as i do not think she gets on with them. She is also not house trained fully, i have tried everything possible to train her but she still has a lot to learn. the ideal person for tilly would be one that could give her the time she so desperately needs. I can not stress enough that she does show slight signs of agression towards small children and can become very jealous.In the right home she will be a loving companion and loves nothing more than long walks on or off lead. She adores one on one attention and will do anything for a hunk of cheese. Who ever decides to give her a forever home will be required to be a patient experienced dog handler as she is not a first time owner.

Have since heard she already has another dog and would not give this one up to rescue ££££££££

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Rehoming
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:21:22 PM »
 >:D >:D >:D

Poor pup didn't stand a chance  :'(

Sorry but has she had 5 children in the last 3 months??  If that is a reason for her not having time for a pup, surely she was aware of having 5 kids before she got it :dunno:
Julie and Watson

Offline HelenS

• Donator
  • Cupar
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:23:21 PM »
Hopefully this poor little puppy will get a lovely forever home with someone who can give it loads of luv, which is its right in life. It certainly doesnt appear to be getting it in that household!!!!!!!!  Its so sad to read  :'(

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 09:23:38 PM »
Sad but reads quite a caring and honest ad to me? The advertiser has been clear about the issues that will need to be resolved and especially that the dog has shown agression towards children and an experienced adult home is required.

What is the issue here  :huh:

Offline SteveB

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:14:56 PM »
Sad but reads quite a caring and honest ad to me? The advertiser has been clear about the issues that will need to be resolved and especially that the dog has shown agression towards children and an experienced adult home is required.

You serious
Why would she get a "Working Cocker Spaniel" when it sounds like she already has her hands full with 5 kids and one with a problem to go with the dog she already has.
5 months old and still not house trained
Why would she not let it go to a rescue.
My dogs are as much a part of my family as my two sons.
shall I carry on

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 11:01:05 PM »
The problem is we have no idea about who the seller is and what she may well of done to resolve the situation.  We have no idea how old the "children" are as they may well be a proportion of older teenagers...

As for the "one with a problem", if they had not had a dog before, the situation could go either way..... I fully admit that we brought home 2 rescue dogs and sadly I had to return them almost immediately as my "problem" son could not cope with the exuberance of the first, (and the second would of ripped the cat to pieces due to a history not revealed by the rescue till later).

I would rather see someone ask a nominal fee for the dog in the hope that the purchaser is demonstrating being able to also afford to care for the dog rather than a freebie.  We're also increasingly hearing about rescues having such a long waiting list that they could of tried and looking at options.

The existing dog is quite possible a more sedate dog.  Ok maybe she under-estimated the amount of time needed for a working cocker, but perhaps that could also be the fault of the breeder who didn't stress that...

Lots of ifs', buts and may-be's and IMO perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to judge

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 11:25:49 PM »

You serious
Why would she get a "Working Cocker Spaniel" when it sounds like she already has her hands full with 5 kids and one with a problem to go with the dog she already has.
5 months old and still not house trained
Why would she not let it go to a rescue.
My dogs are as much a part of my family as my two sons.
shall I carry on

I have to agree with Jeff & Annie here, maybe the woman was ignorant in what she was taking on with a working cocker but that applies to lots of people (including some COL members I would think!). It sounds like the dog has fear/anxiety issues which could explain why she hasn't managed to house train her and also why she's find it harder than maybe she expected.

I have to say I really hate the devil smiley thing.

Millie

Offline Victoria25

• Donator
  • Perfect Poppy (almost!)
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 11:36:36 PM »
Since when did this forum condone people selling non spayed bitches for £150 on the Internet? Clearly that's the problem. Puppy farm anyone?
Poppy is now one! Watch her first year!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVqf3TnIL6c

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 11:46:26 PM »
It's difficult to comment when we don't have all the facts but from the info you have posted Steve, I would question why, if she had the pups best interest at heart, would she not contact an appropriate breed rescue for advice & help - giving the pup the best chance for the future, especially if she is fearful of young children  :dunno:

poor baby  :'( - hope she gets a loving forever home one way or another  :angel:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 11:59:14 PM »
Since when did this forum condone people selling non spayed bitches for £150 on the Internet? Clearly that's the problem. Puppy farm anyone?

I'm not condoning it and how do you know the dog isn't spayed? Although I would be surprised at that young age. With the way the advert is worded it sounds more like a fairly caring person trying to re home her dog asking for a nominal fee (I doubt she paid less than £150 for her) than a heartless so and so willing to let the dog go to the first person with a wad of money. But then I could be wrong! Or maybe I'm becoming jaded with all the c**p I see day in day out.

Millie

Offline SteveB

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 12:49:19 AM »
It's five months old. It would not of been born with fear and anxiety issues.
Then it's up to the likes of Jaspersmum to try and pick up the pieces and she is not the only one on Col, who has tried to put right other people's ignorance or aww factor of a puppy or even unscrupulous breeders. I take my hat off to them. We have had our fair share of waifs and strays over the years ( GSD, Lurcher, 2 mongrels) due to Andrea being involved with an animal organisation for nearly 20 years (mother in law ended up with a Samoyed from a puppy farm raid that arrived through Andrea's connections. She eventually died of old age but she was hard work)
As for the rescue situation I am under the impression that they contacted her and she refused to let them have her. As for recouping costs for being spayed. She would of mentioned it surely as she mentions it has been vaccinated and microchipped and so it should be at five months old.
One of the reasons why I get so annoyed/upset about this kind of thing is. It is so preventable

Offline Ian Wright

• Grace
    • Cages
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 04:54:29 AM »
surlely a good breeder  would of questioned this lady in the first place ?
Amazing Grace Jalankiu    5/9/2009 18/5/2022

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 05:57:17 AM »
As we don't know the full facts, it is hard to judge - in my opinion at least this lady is trying to find a suitable home for her pup, and hopefully the pup will go to someone who is fully aware of any problems and can give her a good home. 

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 08:48:25 AM »
surlely a good breeder  would of questioned this lady in the first place ?

It's likely to have come form one of the puppy farms in this area and there are many, sadly.
Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 09:39:18 AM »
I do have mixed views on this. It infuriates me to read through ads for dogs needing a new home , because the owners have just had a baby or they don't have time because they didn't realise how much time they would need and they already have children etc etc and with a good breeder and lots of research it could be avoided. However sometimes maybe a new home is best for the dog , if your not prepared to put the time in . I have 5 children my eldest is 8 youngest just 1 and I have 2 cockers. I can't ever imagine rehoming my boys because of the children or any other reason for that matter , if we ever had problems I'd like to think we would manage them no matter what.
In the case of the ad above it does sound genuine , and the dog does sound better off with someone with more time. Maybe her reason for refuse g the rescue is that she dosnt understand what they do? Maybe she thinks it will go into kennels or be put to sleep if not rehomed in a set time ?