Author Topic: Wheat free puppy foods  (Read 1986 times)

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
Wheat free puppy foods
« on: January 28, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
Some of you may be aware that we have had some problems with Bobby who's now 5 months old. He had Giardia and has now ended up with a problem with the lining on his bowel according to the vet. He has been on ID food now for about 3 weeks and there has been some improvement in his poos (still not 100% but better). I know that some pups just have sloppy poos and that's just the way it is however today his have been particularly bad. I have tried to think back to what he had yesterday other than his food and all he had to my knowledge was a small amount of leftover Weetabix that my partner's son left on the hearth and a little bit of toast last night. However I must point out that Bobby is an absolute gannet where any kind of food is concerned and seems to be permanently starving and if he ever gets into the integral garage be makes a beeline for the sack of Roxy's CSJ Hi Lost food in there ( I have now managed to prevent these raids by putting something heavy on top of the sack).

Anyway, it's got me thinking that perhaps he could be intolerant to wheat (in the Weetabix and bread). We are almost out of the ID food and the vet did say to keep him on it till the end of the month which is almost upon us so I was planning to switch him gradually back over to his CSJ Little Champ puppy food but this contains wheat. Are there any reasonably priced wheat-free puppy foods out there that would be worth trying?
Roxy b.19.05.10  Bobby b.21.08.11
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dogs think I am.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Wheat free puppy foods
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 06:12:39 PM »
Have a look at Skinners http://www.skinnerspetfoods.co.uk/products/ and also Burns http://burnspet.co.uk/products.html  If you are looking for a wet food, than my lot would recommend Nature Diet, they go nuts for it! http://www.naturediet.co.uk/products.html 
I'd be inclined to phone them for samples before you commit to buying a bag, I am sure that they all send out sample packs.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 07:04:35 PM »
Ollie had the same problems, he didn't settle until he was put on a raw diet, he has never looked back
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 07:23:05 PM »
Quinn had this problem, I hated the sloppy poos.    Quinn doesn't have chicken either, I only ever feed him fish or lamb.   

Gluten free foods you could try are the Fish4Dogs puppy kibble, Barking Heads Puppy Days.     Quinn has the Lathams Sensitive Lamb and Rice - surprisingly for a food I can get when I do our food shopping at Tesco, he is doing really well on it and wouldn't change him now.       

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 07:30:12 PM »
tbh it could be anything at all - could indeed be chicken - not even sure where to start or what to try

Offline jessandme

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 08:08:40 PM »
As you are already using CSJ, could I suggest that you give them a ring and tell them about this problem and see what they think?  I've always found them to be really helpful - I'd expect that they would send you some samples so that you can see whether the different choices suit Bobby.  As he is 5 months old now, you could think about moving him to an adult food - lots more choice there, too.

Jess cannot tolerate any wheat at all, if we walk along the canal towpath and people have been feeding the ducks then it is a nightmare, one bit of bread snaffled = runny tummy...   

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »
Do you use CSJ for Jess? Which type - was looking at the Autarky puppy food...

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 08:16:53 PM »
tbh it could be anything at all - could indeed be chicken - not even sure where to start or what to try

Personally I'd be tempted to try the gluten/wheat free options first.  Just my opinion though.

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »
ejp - have emailed Skinners for a sample :)

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 08:37:36 PM »
Hope you get it sorted out soon, not an easy one.   :bigarmhug:

Offline Jan D

• Roxy & Bobby
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 08:42:42 PM »
I want a waving cow - love it  :005:

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 09:05:35 PM »

Yes I don't know which it is with Quinn, cut them both out and he doesn't get the sores he used to get either.   I could introduce the chicken I guess to find out but I daren't - the sores aren't pleasant.   

Hope you find a food that suits him  :luv:

Offline LynneB

• a pile of dogs
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 10:56:23 PM »
I use Autarky for my lot, wheat and gluten free and very reasonable priced
Laelia Showdogs and Groomers

Offline WarwickshireFlyball

• K925 Pet Services
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 11:10:54 PM »
We also find the CSJ Heal herbs are great, if we have a tummy upset or 'sloppy day' (generally due to snaffling some poo  >:D) then we always have some on standby...

Offline jessandme

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »
Do you use CSJ for Jess? Which type - was looking at the Autarky puppy food...

Sorry to be late coming back to this - we are finishing off a sack of Burns Fish & Rice at the moment, after that we will be going back to CSJ.  Completely happy with both makes.  She's been on CP21 before, this time we will be going for Complete Tripe or possibly CP Xtra, she has dry food in the morning and either Naturediet or raw in the evening.   

Never tried Autarky but looking at it on the CSJ website, it looks to be good.  Jess was on CSJ Little Champ until we twigged about the problem with wheat,  we should have had her on CP27 puppy food instead - or Autarky Spring - hindsight is wonderful...