Author Topic: 12 puppies!  (Read 1801 times)

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
12 puppies!
« on: March 08, 2012, 08:29:33 PM »
A reputable breeder's bitch (here in Switzerland) had 12 healthy puppies a few days ago. The same bitch gave birth to 13 puppies a year ago. (Unfortunately only 7 survived.)

Your thoughts on this please.:shades:
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline KellyT

• Hazel, Jennie & Millie - the 3 Muskaspaniels
Re: 12 puppies!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:34:32 PM »
my thoughts are basically.. crikey! :O
Poor mum with all those mouths to feed!

Is this something that can be influenced by particular breeding of dogs to bitches or is it purely fluke / chance? Intentionally breeding 2 dogs to ensure large litter numbers seems slightly irresponsible to me when mum only has 8 teats, and feeding 12 puppies is surely going to be a massive drain on her, and she'll need loads of additional nutrition, else she might not cope, or recover?  :-\
Kelly & the 3 muskaspaniels x

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 09:48:06 PM »
My girls had 11 pups each in their litters  there was no intention to attempt to have large litters and Penny's own mother never had more than 4 in any of the litters she had. Penny was mated a second time, but I wasn't hoping for a repeat. That pregnancy ended with uterine torsion, all pups were lost and mother was lucky to live. I believe having a large litter may have contributed to the torsion but with so little writing on the matter (because it is extremely rare in dogs) I will never know for sure. However with just one mating her daughter Phoebe also went on to have 11 pups. She was unable to feed and hand rearing was a nightmare I would never wish to repeat, but I did not want to risk another mating particularly in view of what happened to Penny.

In these cases I assume that the dogs were mated at just the right time and that they were healthy enough to sustain all embryo until birth, I don't think anyone expects to have such large litters but as with everything sometimes it just happens that way.

Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline lexi

• Site Member
    • Spaniel Photos
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
In these cases I assume that the dogs were mated at just the right time and that they were healthy enough to sustain all embryo until birth, I don't think anyone expects to have such large litters but as with everything sometimes it just happens that way.

That's what I thought but I just wondered if any other breeders had experienced such large litters. It certainly is a lot of work for both the mum and the breeder! :o

Thanks for sharing your experience with us Bluegirl.  :D
"Always be a little kinder than necessary." J.M. Barrie
Lexi, Mac, Shadow & Galak (with Holly & Byron in our hearts)

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:40:17 AM »
One of my girls mums (not owned by me) has had 2 litters one of 15 the other of 13, sadly they didn't all survive, but it does make me paranoid when my girl is having pups, thankfully her first litter was a normal litter of 7.