Author Topic: Brodies first night  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Dan

Brodies first night
« on: April 12, 2012, 05:25:19 AM »
Well everyone brodies first night went ok I thought up at 5 and that was it woke up to her yelping she didn't reall bark is that a good thing? Also she pooed in her cage that wasn't her fault so ish pilsner tell her off should I? The good thing was I took her outside and she went out and did a wee so I made a big fuss of it am I doing things right?

I shouldn't give her breakfast to early also should I?

Offline LinziS

• Erin
Re: Brodies first night
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 06:12:58 AM »
Don,t worry about her not barking...My pup just whines when she wants up and you can expect her to do her business in the crate a few times..they cant hold on for very long so definately do not give her a row. You did the right thing by taking her straight outside and giving lots of praise..she will soon learn that thats where she is to go.

I would'nt give her breakfast too early or she will have you up every morning at ridiculus o'clock wanting fed  :005:

My dogs are heartbeats at my feet

Offline Dan

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 06:24:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply :) I didn't tell her off for going to toilet in her cage as it wasn't her fault! Havent have her any breakfast yet either so will wait till about 7-7:30? She sort of yelped alot it was a funny noise lol! I'm also telling her in a strict NO when she chews things etc this is ok isn't it? Been reading a puppy book lol

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 06:59:04 AM »
Thanks for the reply :) I didn't tell her off for going to toilet in her cage as it wasn't her fault! Havent have her any breakfast yet either so will wait till about 7-7:30? She sort of yelped alot it was a funny noise lol! I'm also telling her in a strict NO when she chews things etc this is ok isn't it? Been reading a puppy book lol
I would swap things you don't want her to pick up with things that she can ;) i would not scold her, as you do want to encourage her to retrieve and not be shy of holding things in her mouth. I know its hard, when they pick up something valuable/undesirable/dangerous but try not to make a big deal of it, encourage her to play with you with the appopriate toy/item. My pups have always loved recyclable rubbish over any shop bought toys, boxes, kitchen roll tubes, milk cartons etc  :D

Offline primmer

• Murphy - working cocker spaniel
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:48:00 AM »
As a pup there will be accidents in the crate particularly over night. You are doing right by praising him when he goes to the toilet outside.
It terms of him chewing something he shouldn't, try to swap it with a toy or something he can have rather than simply taking it off him, he will learn what is ok for him to have over time.
Rachel and Muphy x

Offline Dan

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:30:11 PM »
I have started giving Brodie her own toys thanks for the advice ;) I just want to do everything right! I'm takin her to meet some more puppies after her injections at a club the vets invited us i Wana make sure she is a good gun dog/beating dog mainly

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 01:00:40 PM »
Sounds like your first night went well  :D  

Yes, you are definitely right not to scold her for messing in her crate - there will be lots of accidents over the next few weeks/months so you just ignore it and clean up with no fuss. It is not her fault if she has not had the chance to go outside and it is up to you to make sure she can go out and to spot the signs that she needs to go out.  ;)  You will need to take her out very frequently for now - I used to take Coco out every half hour at first.  :o The more she gets it right, the more it becomes a habit for her. When she does do her stuff outside, go mad with the praise and treats if that works for her - she will soon learn it is worth her while to go outside  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Dan

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »
So far she has done 3 poos outside 1 in her crate and al wees outside so she is really good I rekon she's eating all her breakfast dinners and tea! When she does a wee etc outside I always say good girl and stroke her like you do I'm not into giving treats for doing something right as they think everytime they done something right they going to get a treat just hope my method works if not I might have to think about the treats

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 01:25:29 PM »
What a good girl :clapping: - if you can reward her without treats that is great but in time you may find that she needs a bit more incentive to do what you want her to.  That can be cuddles, a toy, game, treat or whatever floats her boat  ;)  Coco is a foodie dog and so she will do anything for food  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline pip1965

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »
Brodie looks gorgeous.I don't know how you have your crate arranged but we made the bed at one end (in a small box with one side cut out) and newspaper in the rest which means that they don't go in their bed if you see what I mean.We also then had the crate inside a puppy pen as he got older .

Offline Dan

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 01:45:30 AM »
Thanks for the info everyone ;)

Brodies second night has gone ok she just woke me up at 1:30 with 1 accident and she went straight outside for a wee! We will get there lol knackered though

Also during the night when she gets up such as now is it ok to take her for a wee out in th back then play with her for 10-15 mins then put her to bed? I don't want her up for long during the night

Offline Samba

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 06:40:39 AM »
I didnt play with Samba when he woke during the night when he woke just took him straight out to do what he need to do and put him straight back to bed.

I found the less interaction during the night the faster he went off back to sleep.

Your pup is lovely by the way.x

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 06:48:40 AM »
I wouldn't play with her at all when she wakes up in the night.  I think the less interaction the better, otherwise she might start waking up and barking for you just because she wants to play.  I used to just let mine out of their crates, walk to the back door, let them out, praise them for doing a wee, call them back in and point to the crate.  I think you have to be clear that you will get up in the night for them to go to the loo or if they are ill but that is all.

Sounds like Brodie is doing really well.  I like your plan not to give treats for everything.  It's good if you can get them to do things for praise rather than food all the time.

Offline Dan

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 07:10:50 AM »
Thanks for the replies :) I wouldn't say I play with her really I sit with her for 5-10 mins but I'll stop that as I don't want her to be getting up all the time thanks again ;)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 07:55:47 AM »
Yes the first few weeks are knackering  :005:

Agree with the others - just take her out to do her wee etc and straight back to bed.  ;)  Otherwise she will get the idea of having fuss and playtime in the middle of the night  :-\
Julie and Watson