Author Topic: Advocate Application  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Advocate Application
« on: June 20, 2012, 06:57:38 PM »
One of our customer's at work has the most gorgeous, wonderful temperament american cocker spaniel  :luv:  they aren't usually my 'cup of tea' but he really does melt your heart.  :luv: :luv:
Yesterday i was making a huge fuss of him as usual.  :luv:  His owner said to me 'have you touched his head?' as she had just applied Advocate on him.   :-\  I never noticed until she said but his head was pretty wet & obviously i never realised she had just done this.  She kindly asked me indoors to wash my hands.

I never use Advocate on our dogs but i kept thinking surely it shouldn't have been applied to his head.  :-\

For those of you that do use it, please can you tell me if this is correct?  :shades:
His owner is a lovely lady but not at all dog savvy.  :shades:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Abbi

Re: Advocate Application
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 07:02:21 PM »
We use Advocate and put it on the back of Abbi's neck (part her hair and drop onto the skin). We always put it on at night so that it is dry the next morning. We are careful not to touch the area where it has been applied but think it is safer once it has dried.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 07:15:57 PM »
We use Advocate and put it on the back of Abbi's neck (part her hair and drop onto the skin). We always put it on at night so that it is dry the next morning. We are careful not to touch the area where it has been applied but think it is safer once it has dried.

thanks for that  :blink:
perhaps i'm worrying too much  :embarassed:  but keep thinking it could be harmful putting it on his head  :-\ :'(

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 07:18:02 PM »
I do exactly the same on the back of the neck and last thing at night
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline janandted

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »
I use it too ,put it between the shoulder blades. You can also put half on the rump in larger dogs  ;)

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:14:57 PM »
You are supposed to put it where the dog can't reach to lick at it Wendy - once it's been on a while, it does 'spread' over a wider area than where you 1st put the few drops (not sure if has a oil based solution to carry the active ingredients?) ...perhaps if she put it a 'little high' on his neck, it could of spread to the rest of the area  :dunno:
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:15:35 PM »
Back of the neck here too, at bedtime, so it is dry by the morning :D
I am sure he will be fine Wendy, but how lovely of you to be concerned for him  :luv: :D

Offline Darwin

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 08:24:07 PM »
At the back of the neck part the hair to find some skin if poss.  I always apply it just before a walk as Darwin hates the smell of it.

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 08:41:43 PM »
You are supposed to put it where the dog can't reach to lick at it Wendy - once it's been on a while, it does 'spread' over a wider area than where you 1st put the few drops (not sure if has a oil based solution to carry the active ingredients?) ...perhaps if she put it a 'little high' on his neck, it could of spread to the rest of the area  :dunno:

no it was right on the top of his head, closer to the eye area than his neck  :o

Back of the neck here too, at bedtime, so it is dry by the morning :D
I am sure he will be fine Wendy, but how lovely of you to be concerned for him :luv: :D

thats just one of my concerns for him Caz  ph34r  he used to be tied up by the front gate along with his son, who has now been rehomed  :'(  now he is back to being a 'single' dog he is just left to wonder in the driveway with vehicles coming & going  :'(  the other day he jumped in my van & i was very tempted to drive off with him  ph34r :luv:

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 08:45:22 PM »

thats just one of my concerns for him Caz  ph34r  he used to be tied up by the front gate along with his son, who has now been rehomed  :'(  now he is back to being a 'single' dog he is just left to wonder in the driveway with vehicles coming & going  :'(  the other day he jumped in my van & i was very tempted to drive off with him  ph34r :luv:

5 dogs Wendy, have you told Mark  :005:

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 08:48:46 PM »

5 dogs Wendy, have you told Mark  :005:

i don't think he would notice  ph34r :005:  he's too busy working  :shades: :005:

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:14:33 PM »
Neck for us too, but only when he is asleep otherwise he realises something is up and has a mad cocker half hour.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Evadee

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 10:28:06 PM »
I think it is a nightmare to apply, it always seems sooo much for their skin to absorb.  We end up applying it in about 8 different spots from the neck down the back.

I can't understand how it is possible for so much liquid to be absorbed into the skin in just 1 or 2 places.

Anyone else find it a palava to apply?

Offline cangrejo

• Charlie & Dexter, my beautiful boys xx
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:50:30 PM »
Yes, I hate applying it, it seems to go everywhere  >:(

Back of the neck here too, the only thing that would worry me about putting it on their heads is the risk of getting it in their eyes :dunno:
Rosie, Charlie & Dexter xxx
Charlie 31/12/09
Dexter 17/06/11

Offline BobnDot

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 12:15:32 AM »
Milly's goes on between the shoulder blades but it's spread out over three or four spots an inch or so apart.
She's not bothered getting it applied as there's always a treat to follow but it does seem to spread out quite a lot through her hair within an hour or so.
Our vet warned us to wash our hands after applying it and also if we came into contact with it before it dried.