Author Topic: Does Anyone Know A Good Groomer In Bham  (Read 949 times)

Offline suzanne

• Site Member
Does Anyone Know A Good Groomer In Bham
« on: March 31, 2005, 08:02:41 AM »
hi there, we live in solihull , birmingham area does anyone know of a good groomer in this area they could recommened me.
what age were your cockers when they had their first cut? i don't know how you tell when it is time i don't want to leave it to late i will put a pic on puppy gallery if any one could hav a look and see if you think he needs cutting yet i would be v.grateful p.s his name is buster a blk and tan
thanks suzanne

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 11:18:28 AM »
hi just looked at buster he looks lovely  :)
i live in birmingham(great barr)
is buster going to be a showdog or just a pet
and do you mean clipped or trimmed (using sisscors on him)
i no some people but it depends wht and how you want buster to be done.
i think he might need his feet trimming soon as you dont want all tht wee and rain coming in with all this bad weather we have had  :)
sarah  :D

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 12:03:43 PM »
From the photo it doesn't look like Buster needs/is ready for a full trim yet. How old is he ? Misty's puppy coat didn't give until she was about 7 months old, so prior to that I just tidied up her paws, inside of ears and  her tail end using scissors and also started to handstrip the head a little to get her used to it. Even if you plan to take Buster to be groomed professionally it's worth learning how to do these basic bits so that you can keep him as tidy as possible between trims - I find the paws need trimming about every week or two otherwise they drip water everywhere and collect all kinds of debris. :rolleyes:

Have a look at the "What Is Hand Stripping ?" thread that is pinned at the top of this section - not all professional groomers will handstrip  as clipping is much easier and quicker for them to do but it gives a much harsher finish, whereas stripping leaves a nice silky natural look on an adult Cocker. A compromise is to use a stripping tool called a Coat King - you can get a nice enough finish for a pet Cocker with one of these. I'd try and avoid having Buster clipped as it can ruin the coat for good.

If you fancy learning to trim Buster yourself then all the information on what to do and what tools to buy is in this section - it takes a bit of time and practice but can be quite fun to do and save you a lot of money in the long run. :D

Offline suzanne

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 01:00:04 PM »
From the photo it doesn't look like Buster needs/is ready for a full trim yet. How old is he ? Misty's puppy coat didn't give until she was about 7 months old, so prior to that I just tidied up her paws, inside of ears and  her tail end using scissors and also started to handstrip the head a little to get her used to it. Even if you plan to take Buster to be groomed professionally it's worth learning how to do these basic bits so that you can keep him as tidy as possible between trims - I find the paws need trimming about every week or two otherwise they drip water everywhere and collect all kinds of debris. :rolleyes:

Have a look at the "What Is Hand Stripping ?" thread that is pinned at the top of this section - not all professional groomers will handstrip  as clipping is much easier and quicker for them to do but it gives a much harsher finish, whereas stripping leaves a nice silky natural look on an adult Cocker. A compromise is to use a stripping tool called a Coat King - you can get a nice enough finish for a pet Cocker with one of these. I'd try and avoid having Buster clipped as it can ruin the coat for good.

If you fancy learning to trim Buster yourself then all the information on what to do and what tools to buy is in this section - it takes a bit of time and practice but can be quite fun to do and save you a lot of money in the long run. :D
[snapback]112169[/snapback]
he is 5 mths old now,yes i think his paws do need doing as he keeps getting mud stuck in them as he loves the stuff he has like sideburns on side of face should these be trimmed up or off as you don't see many with lge tufts on side of face .
think i will do what you say and try and do it myself just the feet, maybe a bit on head and ears, and buy a coat king
thanks for the advice
suzanne

Offline suzanne

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 01:02:47 PM »
hi just looked at buster he looks lovely  :)
i live in birmingham(great barr)
is buster going to be a showdog or just a pet
and do you mean clipped or trimmed (using sisscors on him)
i no some people but it depends wht and how you want buster to be done.
i think he might need his feet trimming soon as you dont want all tht wee and rain coming in with all this bad weather we have had  :)
sarah  :D
[snapback]112149[/snapback]
thanks he is just a pet , i think i will hav a go at his feet myself for now, he is 5mths now  so i'll wait and see what his body fur does
suzanne