Author Topic: when to reduce from 3 meals to 2 and why?  (Read 480 times)

Offline sarahm2008

when to reduce from 3 meals to 2 and why?
« on: October 03, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »
what age do you reduce from 3 meals to 2 and why? Sandon is a little gannit bless him and I almost feel likes it a shame him only being fed twice aday albeit bigger meals rather than 3 and having those little puppy dog eyes make me feel terrible as I tuck into my tasty lunch!!!

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
Re: when to reduce from 3 meals to 2 and why?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 08:02:46 PM »
I found with Jazz that she cut herself down to twice a day at about 6 months as she just stopped eating at lunch time.  I have since read that about 6 months is probably the right time anyway.

I must admit that with a 16wk old puppy that still needs a lunch feed I do feel a bit sorry for Jazz so have now cut her breakfast down a little bit and I give her a chicken wing while Bailey has her lunch in her pen.
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline luckypenny

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 08:03:32 PM »
Hmmm - well Penny is 3 1/2 and she still gets 3 meals. Mostly because it fits in with her and our routines and because I think she'd be chewing her legs off if she went more than 5 hours without some grub 'cos she is so greedy. I'm not sure if there are any perceived drawbacks to this - I suppose if she were a worker, then you wouldn't want them eating then going back out very soon after, but I can't think of much else. I'd be interested to know if there are any other issues I haven't thought about.

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 10:13:13 PM »
Found this link, hope its useful

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/456
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 11:20:45 PM »
Archie steadfastly refuses to not have his third meal, even though it is now cut down to about a teaspoonful of food! I just go along with it. He seems to settle really easily in the evenings once he's had his "supper".

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 03:30:43 PM »
Archie steadfastly refuses to not have his third meal, even though it is now cut down to about a teaspoonful of food! I just go along with it. He seems to settle really easily in the evenings once he's had his "supper".

In the past  with our pups we used to replace the lunch time feed with a Dentastick or something similar that took a few minutes to eat - seemed to work then just 'forget' to give it to them more and more often until they just forgot that they were supposed to have something to eat at lunchtime!