Author Topic: Fraser just ate a chunk of leather chew  (Read 496 times)

Offline tritonx

Fraser just ate a chunk of leather chew
« on: November 07, 2012, 01:01:50 AM »
about 2 or 3 inches of one of those braided kinds. I thought he'd be okay as the thickness made it look as though he'd take a while to get through it, but the chew came apart into thinner bits that he swallowed. I think it was a braided bully stick, but I'm not sure what it's made of and if different from rawhide. I'm now worried about them swelling in his stomach and causing him harm. Is that possible? Should I hold off feeding him his usual dry food which will swell in his stomach with water and add to what's in there. Surely they wouldn't be sold in pet stores if it was easy to cause dog's harm from normal use. Bit worried here.

Offline penguins87

• My Girls- Beau,Lottie and Dora
Re: Fraser just ate a chunk of leather chew
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:26:19 AM »
I'm not sure which chews you mean but my girls eat the hide chews and I soon learnt they had to be the solid ones that didn't split or break down to small bits or come apart like the twisted ones or those shoes . not because they have ever caused digestive problems in myn but because that would just gulp down what they could no matter how big !

It's obviously been some time since you posted so I do hope Fraser is ok and your not so worried.

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his
life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the
last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such
devotion."
--Unknown

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 08:48:46 AM »
Can't help as I don't know what you mean either, but I would say that if you bought it from a pet shop and it was made to chew on and eat then it should be ok
Just so you don't feel too bad hubby helped Molly pass an 8 inch long piece of towel she'd eaten

Offline tritonx

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 08:17:58 PM »
Oh dear. It's hard to imagine 8 inches of towel managing to get through a dog. Maybe it gave the insides a nice clean out as it went, like a bottle brush. I'm not sure what the chew is made of. Bully stick is bull penis, right? More or less solid meat/tissue different from hide tissue? I'll have to ask at the pet store what it's made of exactly when I'm in today. Fraser seems fine and has had a poop. It's subsequent ones where I'll get to see if it broke down. Umm, yuck.

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »
Ahhhh ok - I didn't realise it was a braided one of those... Maggie's swallowed a similar size piece of pizzle on a few occassions and not had any problems. Must admit to freaking the first time tho :)   So hopefully Fraser will be just fine  :luv:
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Bibby

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 08:50:14 PM »
Hope it works it's way out, Poppy once ate a trainer sock, and that came out exactly the same as it went in if a slightly darker colour! She has also eaten a pop sock, and that came out with the poo inside! I was worried sick, just like you, but it was all ok in the end so hopefully Fraser will be too - you will just have to be on poo watch for a couple of days and make sure he is eating and drinking and ok in himself.
Owned by Poppy and Willow

Offline tritonx

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 04:00:30 AM »
They do seem to be into hosiery. I had no idea. So far he only brings my socks out to the living room, whimpers piteously and then gently drops it into my hand as if he's delivering a baby chick. Not sure what that's all about, but he hasn't eaten any. Yet. You'd think it would be hard to push something the consistency of a wet sock out the bum. He has only had one poop this morning and non since. He's usually quite the little manure factory for a small dog. Amazing volume. I'll take him out for a tour of the neighbourhood in a few minutes and see if he's got anything else to contribute. It's dark, but I'm mostly concerned with him pooping stuff out, not actually looking closely at it.