Author Topic: Training: best intentions etc.  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Petepreston

Training: best intentions etc.
« on: September 23, 2010, 09:49:30 AM »
I was wondering how common it is for your best intentions to train a well behaved and obedient puppy go astray when you realise how cute they are.

I actually harboured thoughts of participating in agility competitions, but I think I've spoilt Posie because she's just so damned cute and funny. Before she came home to us we were adamant that she would not be alowed on the furniture, and certainly NEVER on the bed. Now, she sleeps on either sofa when she feels like it and last night she went to sleep at the foot of the bed, but not before failing in her attempt to pushing the pair of us out of the way at the top of the bed.

Thank goodness I didn't get her for genuine work in the field.

The other day she discovered crisps as I put them into my mouth. As for the computer; let's just say it's a good job I haven't posted this message without correcting her input.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Training: best intentions etc.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 10:04:05 AM »
The problem is what's cute in a 4 month old puppy is not so cute when they're an 18 month old adolescent who's jumping all over you, potentially wrecking your house and generally going mad from lack of training and stimulation ;)

Training your dog enhances your relationship with them and provides an essential, constructive outlet for their mental and physical energy. This is especially essential as you have chosen a working Cocker, these dogs need training and ideally they need a job to do, be it working or some other activity to keep their minds and bodies active. A well trained and stimulated dog is still cute and funny and it'll be an awful lot happier, more content and enjoyable to live with too.

By the way - I'm not saying you can't let the dog on the sofa etc. if that's what you want to do, all of mine are allowed on the furniture but some level of training and something for the dog to do is important for their sake.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:11:18 AM »
I'd better point out that she does get training and she has a few tricks perfected. She has a few habits that she's getting away with too much - my fault, not hers - but we're just about to start going to proper classes. I'm on crutches for another 3 weeks (at least) and my wife is at work all day, so we're making the best of things. I'm just very aware that she get's away with a lot by being cute.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:12:35 AM »
Oh aye, they definitely know how to turn on the charm :lol2:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:48:46 AM »
Its ok to let those good intetions slips if you happy for them to get way with it for the rest of their lives. For example I started out with the not allowed on the sofa rule and that soon changed when I start enjoying the cocker cuddles so they are now allowed on the sofa when they want. But its because I prefer it that way rather than it being something I let slip. Make any deviation from your good intentions concious decisions that you and your OH are both ok with

Offline mooching

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 12:12:37 PM »
Its ok to let those good intetions slips if you happy for them to get way with it for the rest of their lives. For example I started out with the not allowed on the sofa rule and that soon changed when I start enjoying the cocker cuddles so they are now allowed on the sofa when they want.

Our intention was also not to let Alfie on the sofa - but he made it clear that's where he wanted to be! So our compromise is now that he can come up on the sofa with us, but only if he asks, or is invited. If he just leaps up, uninvited, he is told to get down and to go on his bed. :D

Offline karenl

• Amber
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 12:25:53 PM »
same here Amber was never a really cuddly puppy when younger and we had the rule never to let her on the sofa but the only time she came to us for any fuss was when we were sitting on the sofa so we broke the rule and she is allowed up  when invited , it seems to work as she so far gets down when we say and she has certainly got much more affectionate since she comes and sits with us ! she is 13 months.

Offline Petepreston

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 11:11:50 AM »
I'm currently (literally as I type) trying to get Posie to understand the difference between being on the sofa, and being on the sofa with a hide chew in her mouth. Apparently this is only acceptab;e if she wgets a hand in her mouth instead.

Having her back paws on the ground and a chew in her mouth is also a compromise.

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 12:14:08 PM »
Training is very much a personal thing in that it's up to the individual owner what they find is acceptable and not acceptable in their dog - I think most of us at one point or another have probably said 'ooo I would never let my dog do that' ;)

I believe you just have to say to yourself is does this 'little thing' my puppy does have an adverse affect or possible adverse affect on anything or anyone else?

Maybe an example is that my friends never let their dog on the sofa (considered a big sin!) yet she growls at them if she has a bone or you go near her bed....I let all 3 of mine on the sofa and they share everything with me, never even curled a lip....even if a stranger asked for their bone, I know they would release it....to me them being on the sofa only affects me in my house but the possibility of them being possessive with an item can affect them out of the house?