Author Topic: What age coming into season???  (Read 967 times)

Offline Mrs B

• Butter wouldn't melt!!!
What age coming into season???
« on: September 23, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »
Cinders is nearly 11 months old and her poor mummy (ME!) seems to have become obsessed with what age will she come into season.  I know there is no strict rule and I think I know what to look for (1st time dog owner).  I am just concerned that hubby and I go away mid October leaving Mother in Law in charge - she has a tendency to not really follow Cinders' routine anyway, so am worried about what will happen if she comes into season whilst we are away!  Poor Cinders doesn't know what has hit her at the moment as I am constantly checking her girlie bits for any signs!!!!!!

Also at what age should be become concerned if she hasn't come into season yet?????

Any help, suggestions and advice gratefully received!!!

Mrs B & Cinders xxx
Mrs B & Cinders xx

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
Re: What age coming into season???
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »
Nina's 1st season wasn't until 14/15 mths old.  I have heard they can be even later than this.  ;)   

To err on the safe side i would instruct your MIL to check her with some white kitchen towel (just dab on her lady area) & if by any chance she does come in when you are away i would ask her to not walk Cinders. 
I do lead walk mine when they are in season but only in a very quiet area with no other dogs.  :D

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline Mrs B

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 11:00:01 AM »
Thanks for the reply Ninasmum - will add this to my instructions I give to MIL.  Some stupid man has recently been walking his female labrador at his normal time who is in season and it has been sending the poor male dogs nuts!!!  Hubby and I have decided that she will go out on lead, but later on at night when it does happen!

Mrs B & Cinders xx

Offline Holly2009

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
Holly just turned one when she had her first, I wouldn't bother checking her bits you'll soon notice the odd tiny drip or smudge on the sofa! I wouldn't go over the top about it as you could be wiping her bits for months  :shades: with Holly I noticed looking at her from behind her bits didn't look normal...slightly swollen a few days before she had any bleeding!  :blink: was surprised I even noticed as I didn't realize I knew what her bits looked like that in-depth  :005:
We didn't take Holly out atall while she was bleeding and two weeks after just incase some off lead dog fancied a sniff  :005: she wasn't atall bothered
Ps, enjoy your break with hubby

Offline Mrs B

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »
Thanks Holly - yeah think I will try and calm down about it now, poor pooch probably wonders what on earth her mummy is doing all the time! 

Can't wait for our break - it will also be my birthday while we are away!!!
Mrs B & Cinders xx

Offline maddycakes

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 03:01:45 PM »
Ruby is nine  months and just having her first season, i noticed the day before it started that Ruby was out of sorts, just a little subdued.  I do still take her out but on lead at all times and well away from where other dogs are walked plus i take her out very late at night with a friend, I know some people don't like bitches being walked in season and I understand why, but she would go stir crazy if she didn't get a walk. 

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 03:02:28 PM »
Autumn came in season at 7 months, whereas Inca was 2 years 2 weeks for her first then didn't get her second until 12 months later.

Offline Mrs B

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 03:26:37 PM »
Ok thanks ladies!!! It really does seem to depend on the individual bitch then as to what age it actually happens.  Will definitely chill out about it abit now - especially after your comment Sharon regarding Inca!!!
Mrs B & Cinders xx

Offline jennyspin

• Site Member
  • my gorgeous Boyd & Jitka at Master Groom 2012
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 04:40:30 PM »
They are certainly all different. Jess and Jazz were both about 9 months old then regular as clockwork every six months, Jemima was 17 months then once a year, Angel had his first at two years old and nothing up to now ( she'll be 3 Xmas day), Ebony, who is Jessica's daughter had her first at 8 months. They are defo individuals and we wouldn't have them any other way!  :luv:
Sandlauga cockers
Never assume anything...except an occasional air of intelligence! The Sheriff to Guy of Gisbourne (Richard Carpenter, Robin or Sherwood, Rip 27/02/2012, a writing talent who will be missed).