Author Topic: Think it's a dreaded grass seed....  (Read 22268 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Think it's a dreaded grass seed....
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 06:35:53 PM »
Poor Jarv, I hope it comes out quickly without a vet trip :luv:

There are lots of walks we're not doing just now because of grass seeds, they're everywhere. None of my lot had ever had one and then Ro managed to get 2 in the space of 10 days last year, both times to the vet out of hours, the second time it had already gone deep enough to pierce his eardrum even though I took him in straight away >:(
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 06:51:31 PM »
I hope Jarv's foot gets better soon  :bigarmhug:. I'd never even heard of grass seed before COL, now I look at every blade of grass with trepidation  ph34r

here's the sticky thread for you - some good info there.  It's hard not to view meadows with suspicion but there are particular types of grass seed that are the evil ones and this thread should help  ;)

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=31055.0

helen & jarvis x

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »
Everything crossed the silica and foot baths work for Jarvis, I hope he doesn't need a trip to the vet.

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 08:20:23 PM »
I hope Jarv's foot gets better soon  :bigarmhug:. I'd never even heard of grass seed before COL, now I look at every blade of grass with trepidation  ph34r

here's the sticky thread for you - some good info there.  It's hard not to view meadows with suspicion but there are particular types of grass seed that are the evil ones and this thread should help  ;)

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=31055.0

Thanks for the link Helen, been wondering which grasses to worry about

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »
Just reading through Jools thread made me think,there is a woman that walks a cocker in the same places as i do.

I saw her recently in a field near to me,it has a worn path around the perimeter,and through the middle.
I take Ruby in there maybe twice per week,but under no circumstances do i let her venture far off of the path as there is masses of seed,and well off the path it is thigh high in grasses.

I saw her last week,wondered where the dog was,then could see the tall grass moving,he was running through it  :o

He came out covered in seed on his back,i made a friendly remark about seed being the cocker enemy,she asked why......she didn't have a clue  :o  >:(

She told me he had a lump in his paw that had been there a while and that the "groomer" didn't get it out <sigh>
I told her about them travelling in the body,hope it sunk in  :-\
This is someone that has walked their pup at marching pace on and off a hard surface for 30-45 minute bursts since they were first taken out..... >:D

Ignorance is bliss,but theres no need for it  >:(

sorry to hijack and ramble on  :shades:
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 09:16:34 PM »
...and here's a few pics to make you :020: on a Saturday night -

It's definitely getting bigger, and it looks like it is starting to come to a head - considering last night we didn't know it was there, we definitely do now  ph34r

helen & jarvis x

Offline Joelf

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »
Sorry about Jarvis' grass seed, Helen; I do hope it comes out with very little trouble and that his paw is soon better.

Domino got one in his ear last week, necessitating a couple of expensive visits to the vet to remove it. :016:

Here's a photo of the little blighter (with a match beside it to show the size.)

Fortunately, there was quite a lot of wax in his ear which actually cushioned it a bit and stopped it doing any damage to his ear drum.

I've since bought him a snood to wear on any walks where there's the slightest chance he might pick up another one; he's not desperately keen on wearing it but I'm afraid it's a case of having to as I don't want him having to go to the vet and be anaesthetised again! :shades:

Here's a photo of him in his snood (much to his disgust!! ;))

Jo, Domino (cocker) & Spike (black lab.)

Offline poppy

• Donator
  • Betsy b 17/05/2011
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 09:21:30 PM »
Poor Jarv, let's hope that it comes out quickly, before it makes anything worse and that you have to go to the Vet and get a big bill.

Fingers crossed that it will come out.
Lots of love ... Lizzie
Micka 17/03/1996-12/07/2011 Sleep my darling baby

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 09:23:35 PM »
it's lovely to see pics of Domino again, even if he is "snooded"  :lol2: :luv: :luv: :luv:

evil evil seed  >:( >:D >:D

and thanks Joe, fingers crossed that this mysterious lump will reveal all.  He still hasn't even noticed that he's growing a 3rd testicle on his paw  :005: (I'm glad it's not bothering him though)

Thanks for all your kind thoughts everyone :bigarmhug:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 09:42:34 PM »
Blimey poor Jarvis, really hope that can be sorted without the vet. Call me naieve but does the fact the wound is on top of his paw mean it entered the skin on the top? Being a newbie to all this I have only ever heard of them entering in between the pads and inside the ear. Can they actually enter anywhere?  :o

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 09:45:14 PM »

Hope the Silica works its magic... and glad it doesn't seem to be bothering him...

I'm sure he's getting extra spoiled, anyway!!!  :luv:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »
Nasty looking lump :o, but looks like it may burst and the seed will come out with any luck.

We're very lucky in the New Forest because the ponies, donkeys, cattle etc. keep the grass so short it never gets as far as seeding.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »
@Danni -  the webbing between their paws goes back a loooong way - that cyst is actually still between his paws.  There's no entry site in that cyst which is really frustrating so if it is a seed who knows where it is.  Have a cuddle with Freya and stretch her toes out and check right back on the top of her paws, you'll be surprised how far back they go!  :luv: :luv: 

I think they're more likely to get caught there than in the bottom of their feet  ;)

The seeds are designed to bury themselves in the ground so once in the dog they scarily travel around their bodies and can be really dangerous - they really are a true menace.  My friends working cocker had a seed go up his nose and make a re-appearance in an abscess on the left hand side of his rib cage :fear2:
helen & jarvis x

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »
I HATE grass seeds, damn things.  >:D

Hope that it comes out the same way it went in and without a visit to the vet.  Big  :-* for Jarv.

Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2011, 10:03:42 PM »
  :-* for Jarv.

and he sends a massive snog right back atcha  ;) :luv:
helen & jarvis x