Author Topic: Think it's a dreaded grass seed....  (Read 22270 times)

Offline Danni and Freya

• Freya
Re: Think it's a dreaded grass seed....
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 10:03:52 PM »
@Danni -  the webbing between their paws goes back a loooong way - that cyst is actually still between his paws.  There's no entry site in that cyst which is really frustrating so if it is a seed who knows where it is.  Have a cuddle with Freya and stretch her toes out and check right back on the top of her paws, you'll be surprised how far back they go!  :luv: :luv: 

I think they're more likely to get caught there than in the bottom of their feet  ;)

The seeds are designed to bury themselves in the ground so once in the dog they scarily travel around their bodies and can be really dangerous - they really are a true menace.  My friends working cocker had a seed go up his nose and make a re-appearance in an abscess on the left hand side of his rib cage :fear2:

Blimey, thanks for elaborating Helen, I will be extra vigilant now. Really hope Jarvs gets better soon  :luv:

Offline SkyeandOllie

• Ollie and Jess
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 10:10:25 PM »
Oh poor jarv  :'( looks nasty. Sounds like, hopefully, you've managed to get it moving to the surface without a trip to the vet

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2011, 10:13:17 PM »
Crikey ignorance is bliss!
Thanks for all that info as having only had short haired dogs before it's not something i was
really aware of, so that's a good heads up for me.
It's  still an upward learning curve for me in lots of ways.
xxx   

Offline JeffandAnnie

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 10:27:14 PM »
having only had short haired dogs before it's not something i was
really aware of
I'm not sure if length of hair has any bearing? I had proper long haired doggies before cockers (rough collies - i.e. lassies) and never encountered grass seeds. I would have thought longer hair would actually help to act as a barrier to grass seeds?

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »
Poor Jarv  :luv: :luv: How is he this morning?

Poppy and Tessa send big  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for a speedy recovery

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 09:03:52 AM »
errm it's still there but looking more fluid and angry no hopefully it's going to decide to do something today  ;)

Jarv sends :bigarmhug: to Poppy and Tessa  :luv:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 11:28:47 AM »
Ouch that looks very sore, hope it finds its way out soon, poor boy :luv:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 04:22:24 PM »
Ouch that looks very sore, hope it finds its way out soon, poor boy :luv:

that's the bizarre thing - he hasn't licked it, chewed at it or even noticed it's there at all :dunno:  However, I did extract a massive grass seed from his sisters paw today which left a nasty hole.  They're so evil  >:D
helen & jarvis x

Offline Poppypuppy09

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2011, 04:31:42 PM »
Jarv, its Tessa....Mum had to get a grass seed out from my eye today, cor it hurt, luckily they are doing that grass chopping thing in the fields by us today...hope you can get rid of yours soon  :-*

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 10:37:47 AM »
Any news of Jarvis's grass seed yet Helen? i hope the silica has worked its magic, give Jarvis a gentle squidge from me  :luv: :luv:

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 10:48:09 AM »
Morning Stephanie, George and Hamish  :D

The news so far is that whatever is in there is trying to come out - it's starting to weep and has come to a head.  As it's still not bothering him and he's absolutely fine I'm leaving it today and will re-assess tonight.  He was on Hepar Sulph and Silica over the weekend (H. Sulph helps bring abscesses to a head) and now it's weepy he's back on just Silica.  Bathing in warm salty water as my local chemist has run out of Epsom salts as someone bought the entire lot for their tomatoes?!  Getting some more today.

I'm not really that much of a 'believer' in Hom remedies but am giving it a go! I'd like to believe it works but the 'logical' side of me doesn't understand  ph34r If it does then I'm not going to argue  :lol:

I spoke to the vet yesterday and they said to keep on bathing it and that if it doesn't naturally burst in the next day or so to bring him in.  Vet said it sounded 'promising'.

Jarv, its Tessa....Mum had to get a grass seed out from my eye today, cor it hurt, luckily they are doing that grass chopping thing in the fields by us today...hope you can get rid of yours soon  :-*

Hey Tessa - it's Jarv here - hope your eye is ok today  :luv:  I don't know why I have to stand with my paw in weird tasting water for hours on end.  I'll never understand humans  ph34r
helen & jarvis x

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 10:50:01 AM »
Please can somebody tell me how silica tablets work, I've looked through the threads and can't see :huh:
Should they be given as a preventative measure or just when you are sure a grass seed has entered the skin.
Thanks

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »
Usually I love pictures of Jarv...not liking those ones so much  >:D
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »
Morning Helen  :D well it sounds  like the silica is starting to do the trick, like you i am not always a believer in the hom remedies, but if it saves a trip to the dreaded Vets  :005: George is not too keen  ;) i would go down the silica route first, if they do have a grass seed, it has definitely worked a couple of times, when George had them in his paw. Jarvis is a very good boy for not interfering with his paw :luv:

Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2011, 11:45:02 AM »
Please can somebody tell me how silica tablets work, I've looked through the threads and can't see :huh:
Should they be given as a preventative measure or just when you are sure a grass seed has entered the skin.
Thanks

they're not a preventative measure - Homeopathic Silicea is used as it promotes the expulsion of foreign bodies so if there's a grass seed, splinter, piece of glass etc it's meant to help the body bring it to the surface.

It's also meant to be quite good as a treatment for anal gland infections as well.

If you suspect your dog has a grass seed you can use silica  - 30c is recommended.

If your dog has a cyst or abscess like Jarvis has we went down a slightly different route (luckily I have a good friend who is a Homeopath) and yesterday I was treating alternately Hepar Sulphur and Silicea every 20 minutes for 4 hours which seemed to have bought all the gunk to the surface.  I don't know if this is the homeopathy or his natural body defences but if it works I really don't care which it is  :shades:
helen & jarvis x