Author Topic: When is a cocker fully grown?  (Read 24796 times)

Offline JeffandAnnie

Re: When is a cocker fully grown?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2010, 09:53:18 AM »
Jeff is 10.25 kg at 10 months :blink: He's a perfect cocker shape - compact and slightly chunky. Annie didn't really stop growing until she was about 18 months - she's long, skinny and goes like the clappers; e-type cocker.

Offline itchy

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2010, 11:06:54 AM »
Funny I was going to come on here and ask something similar, so I thought I'd tag on here.

We have just got back from our hols with Tilly and seen *loads* of cocker spaniels, but one of the things I was struck by was how though most of the dogs we saw had more bulk (muscle/fat) than Tilly, but at not quite 5 months she wasn't much shorter, she only looked smaller because she is so skinny right now - no idea what she weighs at the moment.

I know the muscle tends to come later and they fill out, but I wondered how long they grow height wise?  To give you an idea how big she is, when she sits in the smaller crate we got her at first (24x17x19) there isn't more than an inch or two clearance between her and her head - she can turn round, but she pretty much fills it and much prefers the next size up crate we bought her!  I seriously doubt when she fills out the smaller crate will be suitable to use!

Offline bobbylfc

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 04:56:14 PM »
Bobby is 11 moths old and got weighed last week and he was 11.5 kilos was really surprised as I thought he looked really skinny  :005:
Natalie, Bobby & Tess

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 07:17:56 PM »
Bobby is 11 moths old and got weighed last week and he was 11.5 kilos was really surprised as I thought he looked really skinny  :005:

Finn only weighs a tiny bit more and he's very slim....they must be all muscle ;)

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 12:41:49 PM »
Tali was weighed just now at 8 months, (07/09/10) and he is 11kg  :o

He looks very lanky and I can still feel his ribs and he has a waist so technically is a good shape.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Sharon

• Inactive
  • Bramble
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 10:00:40 PM »
Ted was about 13kg by 7 months!  :o :o :o

I thought I was going to have a giant cocker, but he then pretty much stopped growing.  He's 10 months soon and has only gone up to 13.7kg.  He's definitely 'solidly built'.  :005:

Bramble is 9 months, actually closer to 10 months now and weighs 10.4kgs, I weighed her tonight 28/8/2010

:o :o :o I've obviously got the chunkster of the family!  :005:

He never went through the lanky stage, was always just very solid.  He looks slimmer now than he did a couple of months ago, but I think that's just because most of the puppy fluff has fallen out.  :luv:

If Ted's coat was like Brambles then he was a real fluff monster  :005:

Offline stephremon

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 10:28:53 PM »
Poppy is 7months and 8.5kg

She is a worker and pretty slinky!

x

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 08:18:09 AM »
I think Freddie was well over 12kg at 6 months but the vet said he was a perfect size. He is one of the biggest cockers I have come across in terms of leg/back length etc - when we were on holiday we saw lots of cockers but only 1 a similar size to Freddie. He has probably gained weight since then but there isn't an ounce of fat on him, he is as lean as anything - just a big frame I think :shades:

Had him weighed today for worming purposes - he will be 11 months on 20th Sept and currently weighs 14.8kg!
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Manchester_Spaniel

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 10:43:02 AM »
My freddie is a bit of a chunkster aswell

10.4kg at 6 months - though he is a chunky cocker, his paws still look a little too big for him, bless!

Offline redlottie

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 04:46:51 PM »
My working cocker boy Otto is 16.5kg at 15 months but he looks very lean and agile.

Offline Shell

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 04:22:20 AM »
Might just chime in with my little girl's stats if that's ok...

Gracie is 5 1/2 months old and is as 'long' as our 8 yo Boy Bailey already (45cm neck to tail), though still shorter

We weighed her last night and she is 14.1 kg!! 
I know for sure that she is not fully developed yet, but I do kind of hope she hasn't got too much more growing to do!

here's a link to a vid of her walking with Bailey (he weighs approx 18kg)

http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/ab277/Shell2010-1/?action=view&current=09072010037.mp4

I think she may be a little pudgy but I suspect its just puppy fat still and I just think she's just got the genes to grow to be a very big girl - her dad as a huge stature & weighed 21+kg

Anyone else think we're gonna need a bigger doggy door?? :)

Shell

• Inactive
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 10:08:09 AM »
Just goes to show you how much they can all differ....variety is the spice of life as they say :luv:

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 09:40:50 PM »
Might just chime in with my little girl's stats if that's ok...

Gracie is 5 1/2 months old and is as 'long' as our 8 yo Boy Bailey already (45cm neck to tail), though still shorter

We weighed her last night and she is 14.1 kg!! 
I know for sure that she is not fully developed yet, but I do kind of hope she hasn't got too much more growing to do!

here's a link to a vid of her walking with Bailey (he weighs approx 18kg)

http://s871.photobucket.com/albums/ab277/Shell2010-1/?action=view&current=09072010037.mp4

I think she may be a little pudgy but I suspect its just puppy fat still and I just think she's just got the genes to grow to be a very big girl - her dad as a huge stature & weighed 21+kg

Anyone else think we're gonna need a bigger doggy door?? :)

Shell

Please don't take this the wrong way because as the owner of an overweight cat currently on a prescription diet I am the last person to be judgemental but to me, your pup does look like she could be a little overweight. As for puppy fat, I don't know because Freddie - 1 next month - has never had any. As far as I can tell from other posters on here and my vet, you should be able to see a well defined waist and feel all ribs and spine easily? With the amount of energy puppies burn, there maybe shouldn't be any excess weight??? How much of which food are you feeding? What about treats? Sorry if I am treading on toes here, I just know how difficult it is to get a pet to lose weight! ph34r
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Sarafina

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 03:52:01 PM »
My puppy is still 8,5 kilos and now 9 months old.
She has'nt actually grown anything since she was about 5 months old. What do you think - does this mean she has reached her full size already?
I just thought it seems a little early, as others say they are fully grown at about 1 years old, or 1 1/2... ?

• Inactive
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »
My puppy is still 8,5 kilos and now 9 months old.
She has'nt actually grown anything since she was about 5 months old. What do you think - does this mean she has reached her full size already?
I just thought it seems a little early, as others say they are fully grown at about 1 years old, or 1 1/2... ?

Just like humans, they can have growth spurts at different times.....it might be that she had a hooooge growth spurt earlier on in her life or there could be another just around the corner ;)