Author Topic: deaf and blind boy  (Read 3063 times)

Offline revis

deaf and blind boy
« on: October 01, 2022, 08:37:26 PM »
Murray came to me 3 years ago from a puppy farm deaf and blind in one eye.He had been there 8 years.He has been fine no worry to him with the blind eye and deaf but today the sight has gone in the other eye.He is bumping into things to be deaf as well will hard for him.Has anyone any advice to give to me to help him.He is usually a fairly lively boy.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: deaf and blind boy
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 06:36:19 AM »
No tips I‘m afraid, although I do seem to remember a post on here a couple of years back, so hopefully there will indeed be someone who can help. All the best for Murray, poor lad. They are amazingly resilient though aren’t they? It likely doesn’t upset him as much as it does you having to watch him.
 :bigarmhug:

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 08:31:55 AM »
Can't help with tips I am afraid, but I know  Penny B has looked after and helped quite a few deaf and blind dogs that come into her care, so hopefully she will see this and will be able to give you some advice.

Also there are a couple of posts under the heading 'Cataracts and Deafness' dated Nov 2020 which might be helpful to you (just scroll down the Oldies post headings and you will find it quite near the bottom of page 1)

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator

Offline revis

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 10:08:13 AM »
Thank you every one for your kind words. I that the halo would be too much for Murray.He gets in a state when walking if the lead touches his face.I think  that goes back to his bad years in the puppy farm.Poor boy is very unhappy now I just have to hope the ulcer clears up and he can see again.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2022, 09:27:37 AM »
Having worked with people who have through illness suddenly lost there senses ie speech mainly...we looked to use the other sense to communicate.

I wonder if with time Murray stress with lessen as he adapts.  With cockers it is there sense of smell which is major hence there use as drug dogs so maybe involving more use of his senses may help.  Maybe getting him to sniff you hand more often then a gentle pat on the head, or a small treat in your hand or lowering your hand to his nose more as you walk him or around the house.

My boy is 15 next month and his sight is not good and he is partially deaf  and certainly not as agile, but you would be amazed how his sense of smell is -plus his timing too, if the oven door open when cooking the sleeping dog is up and sniffing, he never misses a trick.

I do hope Murray stress lessens and I hope you find some way to reassure your boy.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 12:58:49 PM »
Having worked with people who have through illness suddenly lost there senses ie speech mainly...we looked to use the other sense to communicate.

I wonder if with time Murray stress with lessen as he adapts.  With cockers it is there sense of smell which is major hence there use as drug dogs so maybe involving more use of his senses may help.  Maybe getting him to sniff you hand more often then a gentle pat on the head, or a small treat in your hand or lowering your hand to his nose more as you walk him or around the house.

My boy is 15 next month and his sight is not good and he is partially deaf  and certainly not as agile, but you would be amazed how his sense of smell is -plus his timing too, if the oven door open when cooking the sleeping dog is up and sniffing, he never misses a trick.

I do hope Murray stress lessens and I hope you find some way to reassure your boy.

That sounds like an excellent idea! I do a lot of nose work with Humphrey since his back op as an alternative to long walks and it never fails to amaze me how reliable their sense of smell is.
Certainly worth a try I would think. :luv:

Offline revis

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2022, 09:09:06 PM »
Thank you again for the suggestion about sense of smell.His sense of smell is v good he sniffs a treat from a distance and was excited tonight with his dinner coming he normally goes wild with it so it was good to see that tonight.I just keep hoping that some sight will return when the ulcer goes.He is such a dear boy who has had such a hard time before I got him.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 04:32:20 PM »
This is probably a bit of a stupid idea, but could you use mats at doorways so he has something to help him identify where he is?  Hope he gets some sight back, poor lad.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2022, 07:46:40 AM »
I joined a Facebook page a few years ago when my Ollie went blind, it was called something like “ living with a blind dog” there was lots of great advice on there and yes people had deaf and blind dogs.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline PennyB

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 10:09:12 AM »
Mine have let their sense of smell guide them - and often I let them guide me as you also need to observe what might work for them. Ruby became deaf as she got older so she was onlead most of time but I let her offlead in safe wide open spaces. Often its a case of see how it goes as each dog is different and each owner is different
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!