Author Topic: Our holiday in May  (Read 919 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Our holiday in May
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »
We had our last holiday the week before we picked up Riley on 21 April 2012,
We are off to Florida in May this year. Riley will be going up to Scotland on his holibobs to spend time with my mum and dad for 15 days.
Im really not looking forward to  leaving him  :-\  not so much for the fact we,ll miss HIM but how he will feel about us.

Im wondering and hoping he is just going to be having a nice time being spoiled that he doesnt think of us, but do they?  I know we will get a warm welcome on return, but being silly Im wondering if he will think we have left him for good  :huh:
I cant bear that thought lol,  I would rather not go haha, of course I will go.
How do others feel. How do you think the doggies feel ?
Im not sure what their memory is like etc.

Offline Chocolate Hero

Re: Our holiday in May
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:13:25 PM »
we left jethro with my parents when we went to italy for our honeymoon. He defiantly didnt miss us as much a s we did him got back got a 'o hi, nice to see you im off outside to play'. we were in 30mins before we got a proper hello. I wouldn't worry he will be fine & enjoy his holiday too. I didnt feel he registered time the same as we did.
Run Free my little Laddie xxx

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 05:19:56 PM »
we left jethro with my parents when we went to italy for our honeymoon. He defiantly didnt miss us as much a s we did him got back got a 'o hi, nice to see you im off outside to play'. we were in 30mins before we got a proper hello. I wouldn't worry he will be fine & enjoy his holiday too. I didnt feel he registered time the same as we did.

Lol, glad Jethro had a lovely holiday too, thank you.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 05:40:02 PM »
I leave foe New Zealand for three weeks on Monday, Ollie is staying with a COL member, of course I will miss him (I won't worry about him ) I am sure he will miss us  ( At times ), but at the end of the day if he is fed, occupied and looked after, he will be fine because that is what is important to a dog
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline JackieD

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
When we first had Maddy (she will be 7 this month)we had a touring caravan, but since 2009 we have sold it and go abroad again, we put Maddy in kennels, I made myself ill the first time we left her for the 15 days, apparently she had a whale of a time, the girls called her "the cuddle Monster" and assured me each time I rang (from Greece) just to make sure she was ok, Heidi said she is getting lots of cuddles, the girls were actually sitting in her bed and having cuddle sessions, as they do with all dogs that are used to such pleasures.
It is a small kennels, they only have about 15 actual kennels, when we get home, Maddy is bathed bedding washed and ready to go, well in theory, thing is she loves the girls now as much as she does us, so she has to have several minutes to say bye to them, so now I don't worry at all, she njoys lots of the same that she gets at home  :D

Offline Sue67

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 05:52:10 PM »
Indy stays at Grandma's when we go on holiday and is looked after by her Uncle.

She sulks for a good 24 hours when we take her home.  :lol2:

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 07:14:22 PM »
I am absolutely terrible in the period that leads up to taking mine to kennels......I am riddled with guilt, and worry.

As soon as the deed is done, I seem to snap out of it, and get on with my holiday.

However, when we come home they are always so happy to see us, and forgive us immediately.

I do feel for you.....it's never easy.  Xxxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 07:30:21 PM »
Well I must be completely mad!!  Already worrying about leaving Ruby for one night next month  ph34r  She has just turned 2 and we have never left her with anyone before  :huh: She will be staying with people we know....they have had Cockers for over 30 years, but I'm still worried  :embarassed:
Lynn

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »
Well I must be completely mad!!  Already worrying about leaving Ruby for one night next month  ph34r  She has just turned 2 and we have never left her with anyone before  :huh: She will be staying with people we know....they have had Cockers for over 30 years, but I'm still worried  :embarassed:

You're not mad at all Lynn.  We feel awful about leaving them because they are usually like our shadows...and a big part of our lives.

They do survive it though....and they are so pleased to see you that you are forgiven as soon as they set eyes on you again. Xxx
No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 08:06:37 PM »
I only ever put Charlie and Jarvis in kennels once, for a holiday to Florida for my 50th.

I will never, ever forget the day they came back home.  OH went to the kennel to collect them.  When I heard his car come back, I sat on the floor eagerly awaiting the boys to come in.  I could hear them barking and howling out of pure excitement to be back home.

They ran into the room and jumped all over me, licking me and going bananas and I couldn't cuddle and hug them quickly enough.  It was the happiest and most loving reunion I've ever had in my life, and I don't expect to ever experience anything like it again.

So, I think they do miss us and are so happy to get home, but I'm sure they are OK while we are away.

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 09:39:11 PM »
Maggie goes and stays overnight with a few friends and family on a semi-regular basis, and with my folks when I've been away for a week or more... Do I worry about her when I leave her? Of course  :luv: She's my shadow normally so its like part of me is missing! Does she absolutely love me coming home? Of course, goes nuts (although there is a post excitement huff when we get home generally lasting the rest of the evening  :005: ) Does she worry when I'm gone?  Absolutely not!!!  She slips in to whatever the routine is of the house, and soon changes it round to suit herself  :005: So I would say, relax and enjoy your holiday safe in the knowledge you're spending far more time worrying about Riley than he will about you (now there's a double edged sword eh  ;) ) xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 09:53:59 AM »
Lol thank you everyone, its been really nice reading your experiences,  see its only January and you can tell its already on my mind.
I will have a long list for my mum and dad to refer to!

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 12:04:33 PM »
First (and only) time I left fred in kennels for the weekend I worried myself sick, so much so that I came home early and the wee sod came running out to greet me before running right back into the kennels for more fuss and attention..Nowadays they both go to stay with Theresa and her pair and although I still hate leaving them I am a lot more relaxed about it and I love my text msg updates on what they are getting up to!!  It is surprising how much you miss having them around and I never feel like I have a good nights sleep til we are all back at home together...
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »
Jinley goes to my moms for the day once a week if I have to go to work and she has a sleep over once a month so that she is used to staying over (and I can have a guilt free night out).

I have no worries leaving her there when we go on our annual holiday for a week to Italy as I know she gets thoroughly spoilt confirmed by the amount of pictures she sends me!

Luckily Jinley can be either a lazy or energetic girlie, so if the weather isnt too good, she will quite happily laze around on my moms sofa! 

Pat