Author Topic: Would You Have Another Cocker Spaniel?  (Read 9639 times)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Would You Have Another Cocker Spaniel?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 03:25:06 PM »
We've got scores of Cockers at Hearing Dogs amongst other breeds and we don't find them to be intrinsically any unhealthier than our Labs, Miniature Poodles, Golden Retrievers or the Cockerpoos/other crossbreeds. Each breed/type has things that they tend to be more prone to but none of them are what we would deem unhealthy breeds or we wouldn't use them - we stopped sourcing Flatcoats and Cavaliers for this reason. If anything thinking of recent experience we've had more issues crop up with our Labradors and Goldies. The things we tend to see in our Cockers here are the usual - ear problems, the occasional eye problem (ectropion etc.), skin allergy or sensitive stomach. Our working Cockers are no healthier or unhealthier in general than our show Cockers, and we have more or less even numbers of each.

I've got a working Cocker who is an absolute crock health wise - Tilly is 8 and she has IBD, extremely severe osteoarthritis, IOHC, spondylosis and chronic ear infections, all of which is almost certainly immune mediated - but although I don't think that the working strain is immune to health problems nor do I think that the breed as a whole is riddled with health problems. As a point of interest although she's a rescue I've got her pedigree and I put her parents into Mate Select when it first launched; her COI is 5% against the breed average of 9% so although it is a useful tool it's not a guarantee that you're going to get a healthy dog, sometimes you're just unlucky which I personally think is the case with Tills.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 06:29:55 PM »
I have just checked my two and Charley was COI 1%, and Henry was COI 8%.

Offline ladylola

• Donator
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 11:05:18 PM »
In answer to the original question, no I wouldn't specifically want another cocker, but not because of health reasons.  We've had rescues since 1986 and obviously you have to take pot luck with them with regard to health.  We've never had any health issues with any of the dogs we've had (nothing too terrible anyway).  If I was buying a puppy I'd go to a good breeder who health tests, but only so as to not increase the market for bad breeders, and I'd get insurance.  That's the best I could do and I wouldn't worry about it at all (but then I wouldn't want a breed like a pug for example that can't breathe properly because of how it's supposed to look).  And I'm not a worrier.

Offline hle

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 06:55:53 AM »
I know that if I ever owned another breed, I would always wish I had a cocker. So, for me, there is only one breed I want to own. Even now, with Cody on the end of a lead, I still look loving at every other cocker that I see.
I think all breeds have inherent health problems, but I agree with the views on here. Reputable breeder (although that is no guarantee) and pet insurance.
Good luck with your decision.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 11:24:15 AM »
A reputable breeder and pet insurance is not the answer:  I have both.  Since September I have claimed over £500 for Henry from John Lewis Insurance, whilst his annual premium is less than £350.  His medication costs £29.39 per month, and six monthly blood tests etc. will be over £100.  Henry has cover for life, but I guess I will be loaded when his renewal comes up in October.  As well as the cost of medication, Henry has to have his tablets every twelve hours, and I have to monitor his food very closely due to his Pancreatitis.  Obviously, this impacts on our social life.  Any journeys have to be planned to take into account the health needs of Henry.  I don't begrudge this because he is precious, but it can be quite debilitating.  I had this with Charley for almost fifteen years.  I don't know how I would manage if I had another pet with serious health problems.

Offline Homebird

• Jessie 24.01.2001 - 11.08.2012
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 12:13:14 PM »
I am sorry for you Robbie - but I am not sure there is a particularly 'healthy' breed of dog.  Perhaps have a look at the forums for other breeds and see if they experience similar health issues.  A bit of research might pay dividends.

Personally I am looking for another cocker and do worry about health issues - but with more natural food (naturediet or Burns) I am hoping it may be healthier.  BUT there is no guarantee and perhaps it is not the breed for you if you are going to constantly worry about it.  I would try asking your vet what he/she thinks.

Offline hle

• Site Member
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 01:44:03 PM »
I didn't mean that a reputable breeder and insurance are the answer, I just meant they may be a help. I agree that no breed is without its health issues, I know loads of cockers who have had health problems, but I also know of German Shepherds, Rotties. Staffies, Westies and Jack Russells that have issues too. As a dog owner, this is something we must understand can happen, but have no way of knowing.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2013, 03:49:47 PM »

Personally I am looking for another cocker and do worry about health issues - but with more natural food (naturediet or Burns) I am hoping it may be healthier.  BUT there is no guarantee and perhaps it is not the breed for you if you are going to constantly worry about it.  I would try asking your vet what he/she thinks.

I put the two boys on a BARF diet last year but it hasn't made a big difference to their health.  Henry is still having epileptic seizures on a regular basis.  The minced beef may, indeed, have contributed to Henry's Pancreatitis, due to its high fat content.  He was on Royal Canin Low Fat Gastrointestinal for a time, at the recommendation of his Vet.  He is now on fresh chicken breasts and liver or pig's kidney that I get from Asda or Tesco.  I also add some meat and bonemeal.  It's rather more expensive than the prepared raw food for dogs, but I know the fat content, and as it is for human consumption I know that it is safe.

I really do want another Cocker, but I have to be prepared to take a chance if I do so.

Offline Sarah/G

• Donator
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »
I would have another cocker, compared to other breeds I have own, and just from personal experience,
I found cockers to be relatively healthy, up until now.
I think every breed has their own set of health issue, all us owners can do is research the pedigrees and breeder.
If a breeder does everything in their power to produce healthy pups that's great, obviously things can go pear shaped unfortunately.
Good luck in whatever you decide x
Sarah & Brodie.

www.whatthewoof.co.uk       "Now live"

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2013, 04:10:01 PM »
Robbie, having had a cross breed first (collie/lab) who had no health problems until she was about 8, then had pyometra (we were so broke in the early years we couldn't afford to have her spayed :shades:)  When she was ill we had a great vet who let us pay for her op over a few months.  She had no more illness until she had a stroke at about 13.  By that time we had a GR who we discovered had bilateral hip dysplasia (also by that time we were wiser and had insurance, thank goodness).  Our second GR, as you know, developed epilepsy at about 2 and half.  When we lost her last year we decided to have a change of breed and got Ozzy.  And 2 months later he had to have his left eye removed!  Of course that could have happened to any dog, but we did start to wonder if we were the unlucky ones when it came to pedigree dogs.  I'd love another cocker, but do worry that as Ozzy has been so 'challenging, whether it would happen again.  Or another GR as I do love them very much as well.  But I sometimes think that cross breeds tend to have better general health.  But in the end, I think it all just boils down to luck.  

Take a while to think - when you have got over the shock of losing Charley, you may find you can think more clearly.  Also, you might find that with Henry's epilepsy, you would be better concentrating on him.  Good luck with your decision. :luv:

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2013, 04:25:36 PM »
My next dog is going to be a Labrador, but not for health reasons ~ my husband is adamant he won't have another cocker, as Nerys is like a child on blue smarties a lot of the time  :lol2:  She is nearly four, and so far has had no health problems (touch wood).  My staffie is 13, and has been healthy all his life ~ he has Metacam now for his joints but is fine in himself.  My last dog was a border collie, and lived to eleven and a half, costing us very little ~ in the end she got a tumour and died quite quickly, but had been healthy for the first 11 years.  I seem to have been very lucky so far.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2013, 04:27:24 PM »
I think it all boils down to just how much your dogs health issues affect you, as an owner. I lost Kim cocker at 6 years old from mammary cancer, Chloe at 9 years from cancer after a 7 year struggle with AIHA and now I have Lyla with her spinal problems and Kali with her pancreatic issues.

I have never given thought to what ifs as far as my dogs are concerned. I choose them, I take whatever comes after, be it good or bad. I know what you are saying about very poorly dogs being debilitating but there is also a great joy in caring for these poorly dogs and the special bond you have because you pour so much of yourself into them, just keeping them alive. I know you have it because you can read it in your posts.

With each condition, I learn and then take that knowledge forward hoping that I don't have to use it again but if I do...then I do. I wouldn't let what ifs stand between me and what has to be the most loving, most intelligent, most comical breed I have ever known. It is taking a chance, you are right but that's just life really! :blink:

Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2013, 04:32:27 PM »
Without a shadow of a doubt YES I would have another cocker spaniel. :luv: both of mine have had some 'health' issues (Fred Pancreatitis/ Kooki Anal Glands) but this hasnt put me off the breed as a whole but I do think I would not be able to have another Black& White boy or Liver Roan girlie, as I would always compare them to F & K.
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Carol09

« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2013, 05:48:08 PM »
Would I have another Cocker Spaniel? No I wouldn't. In fact we won't be having any more dogs after my two.  That's not due to health reasons, that's purely cause I don't want to be nailing everything down that moves for the rest of my life even though we love them for their nutiness. :005: