Author Topic: Would You Have Another Cocker Spaniel?  (Read 9641 times)

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
Re: Would You Have Another Cocker Spaniel?
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »

Perhaps also with the advancements in vet science a lot more is done with our sick dogs than ever before which does happily prolong the lives of our dogs but it also makes you very aware about every single ailment and illness where previously ignorance may have been bliss.

I think that is so very very true Helen.

Anyway, I'm with Carolynleah's husband on this.  If/when my next dog comes around it will probably be another lab, and a really dopey one at that.  :005:  Oh OK, or a staffie/goldie/lurcher/whippet/whatever cross/anything except a smal terrier.  Ha! watch this space, 10 years from now I'll be raving about my chihuahua  :005:

Offline Ralu A

• Elmo
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2013, 02:03:40 PM »
I must have had dumb luck -my cocker, who is not a pedigree, had no hereditary health problems whatsoever, apart from skin allergies,
which I now easily manage. I knew his parents, and they both led long, healthy lives with no illnesses.

However next time I won't be as careless and irresponsible, I will buy a puppy only from health tested parents. Pedigree cockers in Romania seem to be healthy, many live for a long time.

Although I may get a dog with slightly longer legs :005: for biking, backpacking, hikes, etc I was thinking about a viszla, brittany or a boxer, or another spaniel (springer, welsh springer), or a shelter dog, they make great companions too. I don't like show labs, they're too fat ph34r

Diane, I can't wait to hear about your chihuahua :005:
Life is just better with two cockers :D
Raluca, Elmo and Scai
IMG_33556 by Ralu A

Offline piph

• Donator
  • Ozzy and Jess
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »
I must have had dumb luck -my cocker, who is not a pedigree, had no hereditary health problems whatsoever, apart from skin allergies,
which I now easily manage. I knew his parents, and they both led long, healthy lives with no illnesses.

However next time I won't be as careless and irresponsible, I will buy a puppy only from health tested parents. Pedigree cockers in Romania seem to be healthy, many live for a long time.

Although I may get a dog with slightly longer legs :005: for biking, backpacking, hikes, etc I was thinking about a viszla, brittany or a boxer, or another spaniel (springer, welsh springer), or a shelter dog, they make great companions too. I don't like show labs, they're too fat ph34r

Diane, I can't wait to hear about your chihuahua :005:

Mt daughter has a wire haired vizsla and he is the softest, soppiest dog in the world - I love him!!! :luv:

Offline Homebird

• Jessie 24.01.2001 - 11.08.2012
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2013, 12:25:21 PM »
You might have noticed that I have asked about mini Schnauzers on the other breeds thread - I had read that they were a very healthy breed - BUT on looking more closely at posts on the internet they are also subject to many of the same problems as cockers and also subject to pancreatitis and diabetes which was not the case in the past.

Maybe vaccinations, diet, environment etc all need to be looked at as humans too now suffer much more from allergies, diabetes etc etc.  So, I think it will be a cocker again for me now and maybe another breedas a companion  if I manage to cope with two in a few years time.

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2013, 01:06:40 PM »
My lab will be a working strain, and not fat  :D

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2013, 01:14:26 PM »
I would 100% certainly have another cocker. I wouldn't have any other breed - we are just more aware of health problems as the internet and forums are great at sharing experiences...
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline tangy tango

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
I think we have been quite lucky with our dogs, they don't really have any health problems (the oldest is 9 this year, youngest will be 6).  Our trips to the vets are more for accident/injury prone dogs, we have a springer who has sliced the same leg open 3 times on walks, a cocker who had a collision with another dog when chasing a ball and our x breed who was bitten by an adder! >:(

Our working cocker does have bad skin but this has improved loads since changing to raw and his previous ear itching/paw chewing problems also cleared up with the help of Thornits so we can't really complain.  He is the only kc registered dog we have and might be the last as we would probably always go for a rescue in the future, whatever breed that will be.  I still really want a Podenco with huge ears  :luv:

From a canine hydro point of view the breed we see the most of are labs, however their health problems are probably not helped by the fact a good percentage are overweight unfortunately!

To answer your question Robbie, yes I would get another cocker in the future as with rescues you are taking a chance anyway.

Offline Ralu A

• Elmo
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »
My lab will be a working strain, and not fat  :D

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone.
Raluca, Elmo and Scai
IMG_33556 by Ralu A

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2013, 07:04:34 AM »
Not offended, don't worry ~ it is just my son has a beautiful working lab who is nowhere near fat, so I know they don't have to be  :D.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2013, 10:15:32 AM »
I think we have been quite lucky with our dogs, they don't really have any health problems (the oldest is 9 this year, youngest will be 6).  Our trips to the vets are more for accident/injury prone dogs, we have a springer who has sliced the same leg open 3 times on walks, a cocker who had a collision with another dog when chasing a ball and our x breed who was bitten by an adder! >:(

To answer your question Robbie, yes I would get another cocker in the future as with rescues you are taking a chance anyway.

Have you had a young Cocker with liver cancer and put to sleep at four years of age?  Another Cocker with dry eye, chronic ear condition, malignant melanoma, and a myriad of other complaints, and a young Cocker with Epilepsy and Pancreatitis.  Three out of my four Cockers have had serious and expensive health problems.  Fortunately, I have been able to bear the cost of these, but the main cost has been to me, and not financial.  I have had the constant traipse to the vet, together with the concomitant worry about my pet.

Yes, I love Cockers.  They are funny, affectionate, merry, lively and very loveable, but I'm not sure that I could endure the heartache of another Cocker with serious health problems.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2013, 11:56:52 AM »
I can see where you're coming from Robbie - none of us can give you the 'right' answer here.   You may well choose another breed, or a crossbreed, and find them to be healthy all their lives but equally they could have health problems too  :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline VickyG

• Holly & Henry - Double trouble!!
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2013, 12:09:24 PM »
Charley was an amazing dog and it is so obvious that you loved him to bits (as we all did when we met him  ;)).  My Henry (who you've met) was diagnosed at 6 months with dry eye after an unsuccessful cherry eye operation, he is my first cocker (and now have two) and even though I was aware of the potential health risks it was a cocker I wanted.  I must say that we use petplan and luckily they pay for all dry eye treatment not just the first year so I would recommend them to anyone even if they are a little more expensive at first.

I really feel for you Robbie because I know how much your cockers mean to you (mean to us all  :luv:) and I dont think I'd have coped aswell as you did with the chronic illness your dogs have had, it's still early days since Charlie maybe you could just conentrate on your Henry and see how you feel in a couple of months?

Were hoping to have another meet in Formby sometime soon, come along with Henry and you can have a massive hug from me  :luv:
cocker spaniels make everything ok

Offline Poppsie

• Donator
  • Mia and Phoebe
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2013, 01:18:51 PM »
Charley was an amazing dog and it is so obvious that you loved him to bits (as we all did when we met him  ;)).  My Henry (who you've met) was diagnosed at 6 months with dry eye after an unsuccessful cherry eye operation, he is my first cocker (and now have two) and even though I was aware of the potential health risks it was a cocker I wanted.  I must say that we use petplan and luckily they pay for all dry eye treatment not just the first year so I would recommend them to anyone even if they are a little more expensive at first.

I really feel for you Robbie because I know how much your cockers mean to you (mean to us all  :luv:) and I dont think I'd have coped aswell as you did with the chronic illness your dogs have had, it's still early days since Charlie maybe you could just conentrate on your Henry and see how you feel in a couple of months?

Were hoping to have another meet in Formby sometime soon, come along with Henry and you can have a massive hug from me  :luv:

Robbie when I lost Pebbles  :luv: deep in my heart I knew I would always have another cocker  :luv: so much so that before I even got phoebe or mia, I searched for good breeders checked them out, did all the health checks on them both  :luv: and now two years on Phoebe has dry eye  :'( . What I'am trying to say is no matter what we do in what ever breed we choose there may a problem that nobody could see  :luv:  give Henry a big kiss from all of us Robbie and here is a great big  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you x x x

poppy 31/12/95-27/4/2009
Pebbles 14/1/97-10/2/2011 
my beautiful girls together again forever x

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2013, 07:55:01 PM »
Ralu, no offense taken here.  In the past we were owned by a beautiful working strain lab who maintained her waistline for 13 years.  But I agree, you see a lot of overweight labs - most notably the one at Crufts this year (in my own very humble ignorant opinion).

Robbie, you may be ready for a change, having had some bad luck with cockers - no matter what breed or cross of dog you get (even the ugliest in the world), he will have a lot to offer you and you will STILL think he's the most beautiful and wonderful dog that ever existed.  Go with your heart.

Offline Ralu A

• Elmo
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2013, 01:08:09 PM »
Ralu, no offense taken here.  In the past we were owned by a beautiful working strain lab who maintained her waistline for 13 years.  But I agree, you see a lot of overweight labs - most notably the one at Crufts this year (in my own very humble ignorant opinion).

Robbie, you may be ready for a change, having had some bad luck with cockers - no matter what breed or cross of dog you get (even the ugliest in the world), he will have a lot to offer you and you will STILL think he's the most beautiful and wonderful dog that ever existed.  Go with your heart.

I was referring only to the show labs  :D
Raluca, Elmo and Scai
IMG_33556 by Ralu A