Author Topic: Worried sick  (Read 3558 times)

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
Worried sick
« on: April 03, 2015, 09:43:32 AM »
There have been so many cases of dog poisoning in my area recently and yesterday sadly a dog died in a park that I had been in on Wednesday! It's not been restricted to parks either, it's been on the Sussex Downs as well. I'm so scared of taking Honey out anywhere now so I'm considering getting her a muzzle. How can people be so cruel?
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline *MaryG*

• Donator
Re: Worried sick
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 10:10:29 AM »
That's terrible, sometimes I don't understand people at all. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for your walk, its awful that what should be such a lovely time with your dog has been made so stressful.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »
Yes, we have had quite a few incidents in Essex too  :'(

Offline revis

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 10:29:20 AM »
Which park was did this happen as I have a friend in Hove who walks his dog in parks and the downs ?

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 10:56:24 AM »
It's been in Hove park, Hove Rec, Greenleas and Vale park. Also up Southwick Hill, it's just such a worry as I don't know where it's going to be next!
Rosie,rest in peace my beautiful little girl, you will be in my heart forever. 2/2/12-24/10/12

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 11:19:10 AM »
So sad, I think you idea of a muzzle is a good one.  hope it's only for a short time.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline GeoW

• Donator
  • Maurice, Jan, and William (Prince of Orange)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 11:19:33 AM »
Life for dog owners has become more stressful generally. It's not just sick minded people deliberately poisoning dogs, it's the theft of our dogs by low life scum, and these illnesses that dogs are picking up in woodland areas.

We worry more about our William than any cocker we have had previously, but we try not to let it impinge on us too much, but it's always there in the background.

M.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 01:12:19 PM »
Its beyond cruel its downright evil. Its such a worry isnt it.
It sometimes feels like its a war to keep our dogs safe from the lastest sadistic tendencies such as poisioning, stealing them etc.

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 02:19:37 PM »
I looked up 'dog poisoning in Hove' on google and seen the report however, there seems to be a random attack of poisoning around Sussex over the last few years and with so many dogs being exercised in these areas I think the chances are very low of Honey picking something up so I would advise caution but don't be too anxious.

We have dogs contracting Alabama Rot in the New Forest and makes everyone fear the worst and think twice about going to the areas where cases have been reported but again there are thousands of dogs being walked in the Forest without getting ill so the risks are very slim.

If you really are concerned to the extent that you can't take her on walks without fear then your only options are a muzzle or keeping her on a lead. But that probably means you will never let her run free again because nobody can be sure when these nutters will strike again!

Px

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »
It's awful isn't ? Who knows what goes on in the minds of these people who deliberately set out to poison animals?! I agree with Barnfind that the risk is probably very small of anything happening to Honey but I suppose you have to do what you have to do and if that includes muzzling then so be it. Are there any farmers fields not being used you can ask about using?

I despair of the human race sometimes... :'(
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline wendall

• Donator
  • Honey and Pip
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 03:28:10 PM »
http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/2015/04/03/rspca-issues-warning-to-dog-owners-following-spate-of-poisonings

This park is on my doorstep, I walk there about four times a week, its one of our afternoon walk venues. Its just too close to home to be complacent. My worry is where is it going to be next?

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »
I can understand how worrying it must be.....some cruel people in this world >:D

Just a suggestion but wondered if it is too far out of your way to drive to the beach and walk near the shoreline - your mind would be at rest and Honey would still be getting her walks.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed