Author Topic: Male v Female - experiences/thoughts please  (Read 6053 times)

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Male v Female - experiences/thoughts please
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2016, 06:55:01 PM »
I'd feel more uneasy about a rescue dog, there is rarely a full history on them, some people may omit details or bend the truth about any problems and tbh, most in rescues are there because of some problem or another. 

This is really not the case!!  There are plenty of rescue dogs that have no problems except they need a new home. 

If you go to a reputable rescue, the dog will be thoroughly assessed and so will you to see if you are suited to each other.  You will be able to have a good idea of the dog's temperament and ability to fit into you family.

To be honest, this is far more than you get with a puppy!  :shades:  This is really not about the sex of the pup!!  :shades:

Maybe you should just wait until you children are older  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2016, 07:19:22 PM »
Another thing about rescues, I assume they will do a home check and of course, I haven't got a secure garden (in the traditional sense).  I always used stock fencing and 4ft panels to make safe areas for Odie and Archie within our garden.  Both dogs never attempted to escape or jump over this (however I was always with them, they were never left alone outside, not that they wanted to be).  This is the reason why I could never foster either, which I would have been interested to do too.

Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline rubybella

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »
With children I would never have a rescue that has been sat in kennels but those that have been fostered in experienced spaniel homes I wouldn't have a problem with. Tbh having children myself I have always been wary of a rescue but since finding Spaniel aid and just watching via Facebook how the process works, I would probably go to them if I was to get another spaniel!

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2016, 07:38:10 PM »
I would also suggest looking at an older rescue dog and if you aren't worried about breed, you can just go for the dog with the personality that best suits your family.  As rescue dog adoption fees are much cheaper than the cost of a cocker spaniel puppy, you could maybe use the money saved to fence at least some of the garden.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2016, 07:39:37 PM »
Another thing about rescues, I assume they will do a home check and of course, I haven't got a secure garden (in the traditional sense).  I always used stock fencing and 4ft panels to make safe areas for Odie and Archie within our garden.  Both dogs never attempted to escape or jump over this (however I was always with them, they were never left alone outside, not that they wanted to be).  This is the reason why I could never foster either, which I would have been interested to do too.

Whatever dog you get, you need a secure garden: or at least a secure outside part of your garden  :shades:
Julie and Watson

Offline lescef

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2016, 08:12:48 PM »
We've had four bitches and all have been different in personalities.  All have toilet trained well. I seem to remember reading bitches were cleaner quicker, but again it varies. Our guarding problems have started with No 4.
We got Bramble just as we both fully retired. Because we were home all day and I did all of the training she became obsessed with me and guards me from Maddie and our grandson. It seemed pointless making her stay in her crate when we were in, but we should have done. We had to 'wean' her off me, which we managed to do but the guarding is now ingrained so we have to manage it. I seem to think you work from home so it's just something to definitely work on as you have said.  They virtually ignore my husband who doesn't give them much attention!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2016, 08:21:56 PM »
I have been no problems with my arrangements re. fencing over the past 3 years with both cockers.  However, it's simply not possible to fence a part/parts of our garden, given the layout and differing levels, this is why I've used the stock fencing and 4ft panels with great success in an area roughly the size of medium garden within our land.  I do however understand a rescue wanting secure gardens for their dogs.

Thanks Rubybella for your input, I'll have another look  :D

lescef - thanks for that.  You are right, I do work from home which I suspected caused much of his problems, me being around 24/7 and even when tasks were shared out, it was perhaps too late as he'd formed too strong a bond with me and the strategies simply didn't work.
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2016, 08:45:16 PM »
I've only had experience with Monty. He pretty much was toilet trained within 4 days, as much as people say it's a myth it was true for us! We were very lucky! He also hasn't chewed or destroyed anything around the house apart from a radio wire!
I would say sable... But obviously I'm very bias! We always get people asking about him as he's so unusual! But the kennel club don't recognise his colour if you want to do anything professional with pup!
I was talking to a lady in the pub tonight - she has just bought a male puggle (beagle X pug apparently) and she wanted a girl as she said they aren't constantly sniffing and marking! But she ended up with a little boy called Eric! I got to have a lovely cuddle.... And now I want another puppy!!!!!!!! Don't think the cat would be happy though!
I think you'll fall in love with the puppy, regardless of sex! Let us know how you get on! Xx

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2016, 09:44:48 PM »
Rory is the first male dog we've ever had, I grew up with lots of female dogs (springers & labs) and now also have Pippa and 2 labs (aged 10&11).  When getting Rory my grandad (an ex gamekeeper whose owned countless gundogs) told me that male spaniels can be stubborn, but with my two I've found the complete opposite.

Pippa (female blue roan now aged 2 1/2) is very clever and picks things up quickly but is also quite stubborn and once she's decided she's had enough can be hard to motivate.  She is very gentle and calm in the house but when out loves to run (at very high speed) and with her recall was the hardest thing to train and we are still working on this now.... She is the cuddliest and most loving dog we've ever had but is also the noisiest - she loves the sound of her own voice  :005:  Rory (1yr Black and Tan) has always been very keen to learn and rarely takes his name eyes off me when out and about. He is a complete softy and content to plod along alongside me when out. 

Both toilet trained quickly, but both are not keen on being left alone however and this is something I think that will always have to be managed.  Someone once commented that they are like magnets to me and if allowed to they would follow me wherever I go.  If over attachment is something you are worried about could you perhaps look into a Labrador? I know each dog is different but we've always found labs are far more content when left alone and happy to chill out whereas the cockers have had to be taught to settle on their own.  They also seem less attached to one person and will happily spend time with everyone (especially if food is involved  ;))

I do agree as others have said its more about individuality than gender.  Good luck with whatever you decide - I'm sure the right dog is out there for you and your family  :luv:
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline rubybella

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2016, 10:07:22 PM »
I agree about Labradors. They are much less dependent on human company and do not need to be like Velcro! Certainly my lab is quite happy in her own company but my spaniel is always near me.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2016, 10:17:53 PM »
problem is though puppies can still be an issue as you've discovered and for all sorts of reasons - at least once a dog is an adult their behaviours are often already there
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2016, 10:19:43 PM »
I agree about Labradors. They are much less dependent on human company and do not need to be like Velcro! Certainly my lab is quite happy in her own company but my spaniel is always near me.

This can also be true of cockers.  Provided Lesley and family stick to a routine, crate training, use of stairgates....not allowing the new dog upstairs I.e. He/she sleeps downstairs, the dog will be more independent. 

Pearl was a Velcro cocker, she's a lot better since having Coral around and the latter is happy sleeping downstairs and has only ever been to the bathroom with me three times in 10 months  :005:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - please do research the lines, as I know you will

Jayne

Offline Cockertime Blues

• Donator
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2016, 12:01:11 AM »
Hi again Lesley.

If it was me I'd get a pug. Easy-osy wee dogs full of character, and your daughter would be so pleased. After your rough time with Archie I'd take a break from cockers and your daughter must have some apprehension. I'm still really wary of German shepherds cos one bit me 59 years ago!

But back to your question, we have 4 rescues - 3 working cockers and a springer - 3 bitches and a dog.  I've absolutely no preference as to sex.  All are lovely healthy dogs with no issues so of course I hope you get a rescue, but it would be hard to find a pug but honestly some of the loveliest dogs are mongrels. I think if I was you I wouldn't want another cocker as I'd always be worrying about what Would crop up because of past experience. I'm sure there's some way you can fence off a small run of garden.

Good luck anyway.

Offline rubybella

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2016, 07:30:56 AM »

This can also be true of cockers.  Provided Lesley and family stick to a routine, crate training, use of stairgates....not allowing the new dog upstairs I.e. He/she sleeps downstairs, the dog will be more independent. 

Pearl was a Velcro cocker, she's a lot better since having Coral around and the latter is happy sleeping downstairs and has only ever been to the bathroom with me three times in 10 months  :005:

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - please do research the lines, as I know you will

Jayne

This is just my experience of having one of each! We have a routine, used a crate, stairgates (still do) and neither dogs are and never had been allowed upstairs. But my spaniel has been much more cuddly/needing human company than my lab! On walks they are both very similar in characteristics but at home very different. The spaniel wants cuddles and strokes, all day if she could, my lab is really only interested in humans for meals, walks and ball throwing in the field. If you offer her a lap to lay on she generally stays for about a few minutes, she's just not into that cuddly stuff!

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2016, 07:52:33 AM »
I too would choose a different breed this time - a complete fresh start.  I have a labrador as well as a cocker - he has a fantastic temperament but is very large and sheds lots of hair!  Perhaps a medium size cross breed? Both my dogs were re-homes, I got Nerys cocker at 1 and Jack labrador at nearly 8, both are brilliant with children.