Author Topic: Pine Processionary Caterpillars - Dangers for Dogs  (Read 2374 times)

Offline IonaD

Pine Processionary Caterpillars - Dangers for Dogs
« on: February 15, 2020, 08:05:43 PM »
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.animalwised.com/pine-processionary-first-aid-for-dogs-360.html%3famp=1

Hi All,

Not sure if I have posted this on the right page but here goes...

I read an article today about Pine Processionary Caterpillars and their dangers to dogs. We have had particularly warm weather here in Italy recently and they have been spotted already!! I guess my question is...does anyone have any experience of them, and how worried should I be?

This is our third summer here and I’ve never seen them before, nor have I heard of them but obviously reading various articles I am now feeling very worried about this!!

If anyone has any experiences they can share I would love to hear them, even  so I can be more aware and potentially know what to do if we encounter them.

Thank you as always.

Iona & Bella

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Pine Processionary Caterpillars - Dangers for Dogs
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 07:34:34 AM »
Hi! They were a serious problem here in Germany last year, and we were regularly reminded to keep well away. Apparently they shed tiny hairs which, if breathed in, can cause serious bronchial problems. A couple of Kindergartens had to be closed locally  and a few children taken to hospital. I can imagine that for dogs sniffing around they would be potentially serious although I haven‘t personally had any direct experience other than having noticed them while walking - but they don‘t seem to limit themselves to pine trees, so its a good idea to be vigilant.
We‘ve had / are having such a mild winter here,  albeit wet, so are expecting a big increase in all our favourite pests this summer.. >:D
Stay safe!  :shades:
 :luv:

Offline IonaD

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 01:48:23 PM »
 >:D

Sometimes I think it safer to stay inside!! If it’s not ticks or wild boars we are now on the look out for dangerous caterpillars!! It’s never ending!!

The ticks are out here already!!  >:(

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 07:31:19 PM »
Yes they're here now in UK plus we now have Alabama rot in South Wales now with 2 dog deaths not helped by fact we're a hotspot for lungworm
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline IonaD

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 07:38:45 PM »
I saw someone post an article about Alabama Rot the other day...sounds scary!!

Are there preventatives for lungworm at all?

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 02:30:50 PM »
Hi, we have this problem here in Portugal - horrible!!!

Salty (he´s nearly 1 now) is not allowed out in the garden for another month or so since we have them in the pines in and around our property

I found the site below good for info, especially the comments - scary
 http://www.mythankyoupage.com/pets-and-animals/dogs-and-killer-processionary-caterpillars-in-portugal/

Also,
https://facultyweb.cortland.edu/fitzgerald/PineProcessionary.html

The season when they come down from the trees to dig into the ground for pupation is spring, but exactly when depends on mildness of winter and spring
Also, beware windy days during winter as they can get blown off the branches

They are also not very nice at all for people either - I spent most of last summer with hives all over as I was clearing the garden and the hairs stay active for years apparently and the earth and overgrown garden must have been full of them - it was torture and doesn't help that I have the skin befitting of a Ginge :)

However, I think in the UK its not really anything to worry about, even here for anyone not living in the pine forests its fine, but well worth noting if you plan to travel with or without dogs
Not everyone knows about them, even out here - I have seen many photos of silly backpackers lying on the floor alongside a long procession in singlet and shorts!

Edit - it seems you have the Oak version in places up there too!
http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/features/21756/lethal-fuzz

Offline IonaD

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 04:28:33 PM »
Thank you so much for the post and the links attached.

We have had such an unseasonably warm winter here in Italy everything (insects and plants) are convinced spring has sprung!! Even the mosquitos are out!! >:D

I will order some APIS tablets as suggested just for emergencies. In the meantime I will keep my eyes open!! I find myself walking Bella but staring at the floor or in trees for any potential signs. It’s exhausting!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 05:26:07 PM »
Thank you so much for the post and the links attached.

We have had such an unseasonably warm winter here in Italy everything (insects and plants) are convinced spring has sprung!! Even the mosquitos are out!! >:D

I will order some APIS tablets as suggested just for emergencies. In the meantime I will keep my eyes open!! I find myself walking Bella but staring at the floor or in trees for any potential signs. It’s exhausting!

Am also a fan of Apis, have used it lots of times myself for wasp/bee stings. It would probably never have occured to me to use it in this situation, - good advice, thanks for the link! 👍

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 06:17:37 PM »
Hi,
I thought that the sites had a lot of good info on the caterpillars, but I wouldn't sleep well if I thought that I was promoting the internet as a source of medicinal information - I have also heard that orange juice or other 'acid' is good, as well as homeopathic Apis - but I personally would ask my vet first to see what they say.
IMHO the most important thing is to get to the vet as quick as possible as soon as you suspect any contact (I think drooling is a common symptom)

We actually tired Salty out on the beach today  :D
We .... actually .... tired ..... him ......out ....!!!!!!!!
I still cant believe it  :lol2:

Offline IonaD

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 07:42:52 PM »
Maybe I’ll just stick with the other advice of rinsing the area with water and get to the vets ASAP.

Let’s just hope we don’t ever encounter any of these nasties!!

Happy beach day!!x