Author Topic: Dog Muzzle???  (Read 3134 times)

Offline rubyduby

Dog Muzzle???
« on: November 04, 2022, 12:01:03 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good comfy muzzle for a Cocker Spaniel, need to get one asap as, my dogs are fighting

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Dog Muzzle???
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 01:33:17 PM »
This isn’t a recommendation for a muzzle but I answered your last post and am sad to hear your dogs are still fighting.  When my dogs started to fight, I tried a muzzle on Marley (who was the one who started the fights) but I consider it only made things worse. She hated wearing it and it caused further resentment towards Stevie.  I understand totally how you want to stop the fighting as it can be very stressful for both dogs and owner but the dogs can’t wear the muzzles all day just in case they start a fight.  I know it is very hard but I found the best way to stop fights breaking out was to look for signs/body language and defuse the situation.  For example, Marley couldn’t cope with coming back from a walk with both her and Stevie on a lead.  When we got to our drive, she would just attack her sister, and Stevie was forced to fight back.  I decided to let Marley off the lead before getting to our drive and problem solved   ;). I still don’t know why a lead made her go into fight mode.  I got rid of all dog toys in the house (sad really) so there was nothing for Marley to claim as hers and protect.  I said previously it was like walking on eggshells sometimes but you do learn to know what triggers a fight and then defuse the situation.   You mentioned food in your other post.  Could you feed Topaz first and then put her in another room?  I really hope things can improve for you as it is horrid when our beloved dogs fight.
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline PennyB

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 10:17:14 AM »
I tend to remove all flashpoints if there are any. I use baby gates to separate dogs so none feel left out either. Dogs toys are removed too if need be.

Also you mentioned her season - I know some dogs are a pain in the backside going into a season and may be worth spaying if that is the case.

I also once had one dog who would attack another because that dog was unwell or had an infection somewhere

Its worth getting your dogs checked out as well plus what about dap type diffusers or similar - whenever a foster came in I used to spray 'pet remedy' all over beds and sofa.

It may also be that you need professional help too 
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 10:16:33 PM »
Just anecdotally
There is a dog around here that the owners let off into the road in the evenings instead of taking them out for a walk  (I'm in Portugal, please dont suggest talking to them or the authorities  :005:)
Salty and her were / are boisterously friendly, she very dominant but Salty has his fuse too, and had her begging on her back a few times - with no actual violence, just barks being worse than bites.
Then I got bored of salty  eating crap of off the road so I tried a muzzle (I had got to stop him hoovering crabs etc on the beach) to stop it
But, with this muzzle when he and this Ridgeback met he got very agitated and started being more aggressive perhaps as she was being more aggressive as she know he couldnt snap back? I am never 100% relaxed when they meet anyway, but I started to get a bit nervous.
Anyway, I stopped using the muzzle and they were straight back to being friends
Not a very scientific test, but I never used the muzzle again
He licked a big toad the other day and was vomiting for ages.
Cant win

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 02:24:14 PM »
He licked a big toad the other day and was vomiting for ages.
Cant win

Your posts today have had me chuckling!  :005:

back to your point though - I imagine Salty does feel at a disadvantage with a muzzle on and that‘s bound to make him nervous, - since Humphrey’s injury, he‘s nowhere near as relaxed around other dogs, I think because he knows he can’t hold his own anymore, its something you can often observe in older, weaker dogs. (The term grumpy old men also applies!  :005:)

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 02:37:11 PM »
(The term grumpy old men also applies!  :005:)

I resent that comment

I was grumpy before I got old

Offline Lobo do Mar

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 02:46:03 PM »

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 04:11:26 PM »
(The term grumpy old men also applies!  :005:)

I resent that comment

I was grumpy before I got old

:lol2: :lol2: ;)