Author Topic: 2nd puppy  (Read 1425 times)

Offline Jenny

• Site Member
2nd puppy
« on: June 04, 2006, 03:52:28 PM »
I remember reading a thread on here recently about people who get another puppy soon after their first one but can't seem to find it now.  We really just want some honest advice.  Although we always knew we wanted another dog, we thought we would get one in a couple of years.  However, I have never been able to resist the idea of Barney having a companion during the day and also see other cocker owners with multiple dogs having great fun on their walks.  I had jokingly been hinting to OH about another dog and he had always said no.  Today we met a breeder when out for our beach walk who was admiring Barney.  Her working cocker was out for her first walk after having a litter 4 weeks ago and she had had some chocolate pups (we wanted our second to be a chocolate one).  They will be ready in 4 weeks which is just when my long summer hols start (I'm a teacher so I get 7 weeks.....sorry!!).  She seemed to think that this would be the perfect time to get another dog.  Barney will  be 8 months soon.  He is a very well trained dog who gets lots of attention and hasn't developed any bad habits so far.  He is now toilet trained (after a blip in the middle) and is the apple of our eye.  Our lives have totally changed for the better since getting him and we just love the fullfillment you get from having a dog.  I have researched the threads here and there seems to be a very mixed opinion on this.  I know that a lot of you have more than one dog and would like your advice.
I have a couple of questions:
1.  The pup we would get is a bitch, is it OK to mix them?
2.  Barney is crate trained and loves it.  Would we need another crate or just one giant one, and if so , how would this affect toilet training?  Would Barney revert back to needing out in the middle of the night?  Should we keep them separate until the pup is able to hold on all the way through?
We are really just talking things over at the moment and would appreciate any opinions you have to offer.  Sorry if this thread is a bit confusing!

Offline ~Jilly~

• Site Member
Re: 2nd puppy
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 05:29:55 PM »
I have no personal experience so I can't really give you specific advice but we have had some thoughts on the subject as we would like a 2nd puppy as well.

We did have the option of getting another puppy when Bella was about 8 months old but after thinking about it we decided we'd wait. Bella is now approaching 15 months and I think she/we are ready now.

It's slightly different in that you have a boy but Bella has changed drastically in the last couple of months since having her first season, she's 'grown up', is much calmer and we have felt able to give her more freedom. This means we no longer use the crate at all (apart from in the car) so when we get our next pup we would use the crate for the pup and Bella would have her freedom as she does now.

You can mix a dog and bitch, in fact I have been told that they generally get on better than two of the same sex. Obviously if do mix them you'll need to have one or both 'done' if you haven't already and that is something to consider. We have considered getting a dog but as we didnt' really intend to have Bella 'done' we may get another bitch instead.

To be honest the main reason we decided to leave it a while longer was so we could 'enjoy' Bella's puppyhood more before having to divide our attentions if that makes sense. We were a bit like you in that we were offered a pup without really looking and it's really tempting I know!

You probably have an instinct deep down whether this would be right for you or not, just bear in mind that if you do say no to this litter there will be more opportunities, even if you decide to wait just a few months.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 06:10:20 PM »
  Today we met a breeder when out for our beach walk who was admiring Barney.  Her working cocker was out for her first walk after having a litter 4 weeks ago and she had had some chocolate pups (we wanted our second to be a chocolate one).  They will be ready in 4 weeks which is just when my long summer hols start (I'm a teacher so I get 7 weeks.....sorry!!).  She seemed to think that this would be the perfect time to get another dog.  Barney will  be 8 months soon. 

I hate to put a downer on things but an experienced and reputable breeder would not approach a complete stranger suggesting that adding a pup to a household with an existing pup would be a good idea. The usual advice from all experienced and knowledgable sources is to wait until the existing dog is at least 18 months old.

Barney may be really well behaved now but he hasn't been through adolesence yet - my dog Jimmy was an absolute angel until he was 12 months old when all manner of changes occurred. I'm sure Barney will be quite able to cope with being an only dog until he's a bit older - it's nice to dream when opportunities like this present themselves but you have to try be patient and realistic. I added my second dog when Jimmy was 19months old - if I'm honest with myself I think waiting another few months would have been better. Having two young dogs around can be a lot of fun but it's also a lot of hard work - training a second dog can actually be harder than with the first, as there are more distractions and you aren't able to give full undivided attention in the way you could first time round.

Sorry to be a killjoy but I really think you'd be better off waiting a while longer.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 06:35:17 PM »
I agree with Colin here and I'd be quite suspicious of being offered pups while on a walk in the park.

I had a 2nd pup when Ruby was 13 months old and still it was hard work, as Roobs decided that she would regress
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Jenny

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 06:52:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  We have decided to take all your advice and wait.  The lady didn't just walk up and offer us a pup.  Sorry if that was confusing! :-\  We got talking and I commented on her bitch and that is how we got onto the subject.  She said we could come and look at them.  All her dogs (she had 4) looked lovely and in good condition.  However, we've decided to enjoy Barney being a pup and wait a couple of years for another one.  It's just nice to dream!!
Thanks again  :D

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 06:58:18 PM »
I had a 2nd pup when Ruby was 13 months old and still it was hard work, as Roobs decided that she would regress

The same with Jimmy. Prior to getting Misty his recall was pretty good but whenever I walked them together he'd never return to me at the end of walks - the walks a puppy could manage were far too short for his liking, even though he got walked on his own as well. I was spending so much time concentrating on Misty getting upto mischief on walks that he felt he could just wander off doing his own thing - it can be quite a difficult juggling act.

He also started getting really whingey whenever I went out, taking his cue from Misty- again this was a new problem I hadn't encountered with him before. People often give "good company for when left alone" as the reason for adding a second puppy but it doesn't really work this way. If the exisitng pup is fine being left alone anyway, why would they suddenly need a companion ? If they aren't fine with being left alone then the chances are you will end up with two puppies that don't like being left, rather than just the one.

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 07:03:30 PM »
we've decided to enjoy Barney being a pup and wait a couple of years for another one.  It's just nice to dream!!
Thanks again  :D

Wow, that was a quick change of mind  :lol: - but hats off to you I think you are doing the best thing, both for yourselves and Barney. Often people just ignore any such advice on here, the dream overtaking rational thought. Good things come to those who wait.   :blink:

Edited - accidental use of a kissing smiley.  ph34r

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 07:17:59 PM »
Edited - accidental use of a kissing smiley.  ph34r

:lol: :lol:

I'm glad you decided to wait - it really is hard work. I got Dallas when Vegas was about 7 - 8 months and we had many an issue with training. I thought Vegas was very well trained but, like Colin mentioned before, he hadn't gone through adolescence and when you have to deal with that and a new puppy at the same time, it can be very draining. All that happened was that they both picked up each others bad habits - some of which I'm still trying to completely iron out 3 years down the line :o I added Disney when Dallas was 2 and that was a much better age gap to have in my opinion.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 08:00:24 PM »
Gill - without wishing to be rude or offensive in any way - can I ask why you have just welcomed Aspen into your family if you think a two year age gap is preferable? I'm fairly new to COL so I may have missed out on some of the background information. I believe Aspen was about 4 months old when he came to you, wasn't he? Does this make a difference?
As I said, please don't be offended by my question as I am just curious!  :blink:

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 08:11:12 PM »
Gill - without wishing to be rude or offensive in any way - can I ask why you have just welcomed Aspen into your family if you think a two year age gap is preferable? I'm fairly new to COL so I may have missed out on some of the background information. I believe Aspen was about 4 months old when he came to you, wasn't he? Does this make a difference?
As I said, please don't be offended by my question as I am just curious!  :blink:

No offence taken ;) I did get Aspen when he was 5 months old but Disney will be 2 in August so although I haven't got exactly the 2 year age gap (there is 16 months between them), I believe its sufficient as Disney has gone through his adolescence (mind you, going by his behaviour today you wouldn't think it ph34r) so I felt confident in adding a slightly older pup into the mix.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 08:50:14 PM »
Ah. I didn't realise Disney was that old. Their ages just say 1 and 6 months so I was imagining a 6 month age gap!  :D