Author Topic: Was she right to say No!  (Read 2295 times)

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Was she right to say No!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2004, 11:33:22 PM »
has she tried training them away from each other?? the earlier you can train a dog the better .

I couldent belive how fast bella was at picking things up im still amazed . at 12 weeks old she was doing everything perfect , at the time she wasent food fussy and thats how i trained her , she learnt 8 tricks in 2 days of half hour training and remberd them , i think shes just a clever dog , she knows what foods are like chocolate ,ham and will go sit at the fridge if i say  chicken .. or the cubord if i say frolics lol  :roll:  

just make sure theres you and the dog in a room no nose and a hand full of treats like chicken :)
just keep going over and over till he/she  gets it right :) sit and stay and slowdown and wait are all very handy things to try to train . while your out , i also train cross for when its time to cross ,for that i would take them out on a walk seperate a few times and see how well behaved he/she is alone.
 The only thing bells  terrible at is recall . someone told me to go to  a tennis court and practice , i should take some time to do it really .                    

Offline PennyB

Was she right to say No!
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2004, 12:24:48 AM »
Trouble is with 2 littermates or puppies of same age is that they bond with each other and not their owner. It is so important with pups that they should bond with you so that they eventually learn and you can train them. If you can't bond with your dog then you haven't a cat in hells chance as they say in training them as they'd rather listen to each other.

Some do succeed in training 2 but most find it very difficult. I met a couple of golden cocker litter girls (now about 3) in the summer when I was socializing Wilf and their owner told me they were a complete nightmare.

I've heard that it is 5 times more hard work to train 2 littermates rather than twice which is what a lot seem to think. You have to spend a third of your time with each on their own and still try to keep them apart so they don't bond with each other, what sort of life is that for anyone—totally exhausting if you attempt to try or a nightmare if you don't.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

ziggy

Was she right to say No!
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2004, 12:30:40 AM »
yes penny i have heard the same ,,i went to buy two dogs once and i was advised that just because they were brothers did,nt mean they would get on,,so i declined,,weird though isn,t it you would think the smell would make them know who they were,ziggy x