Author Topic: puppies and rabbits!  (Read 1464 times)

Offline vicky richardson

• Site Member
puppies and rabbits!
« on: March 02, 2004, 03:56:02 PM »
Hi everyone.

I have a Lionhead rabbit called Alfie - who has the run of the house when I'm home but sleeps in a hutch outside at night.

However I'm very keen to get a Cocker puppy - although I don't want to put Alfie at risk.

I've read varying accounts of puppies and rabbits getting on or not, as the case may be, and wondered whether anyone had any advice on how to ensure they get on as well as possible.

Best

Vicky                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
puppies and rabbits!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 04:02:18 PM »
Hi Vicky, welcome to the forum  :D

I know one of our members Pammy has a house rabbit in addition to two cockers, if you check in later hopefully she'll have logged in to give you the benefit of her advise  :D

Mike                    

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
puppies and rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 12:53:14 AM »
Hi,
I don't know about puppies, but our rescue cocker Tia was despirate to chase squirrels when we first got her, and I was worried about our two rabbits who live outside, but run free all day.
We introduced her slowly, and on the day she got past me she only wanted to pinch their food.
Once she realised they were part of the family, she has been OK - so far so good.
Good luck,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
puppies and rabbits!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 02:44:31 PM »
Welcome to the group - and a big thanks to Mike for telling me about your message - I haven't been about much lately.

Your puppy and bunny should be able to get on just fine. Let them spend as much time together as poss - perhaps keeping your puppy on a lead if he gets a bit giddy - but if you start off early and show puppy that bunny rules - then all should be well. Bunnies are very good at standing up for themselves as long as you set the ground rules for your puppy.

Good luck - it's a lovely combination :D                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline vicky richardson

• Site Member
puppies and rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 03:22:00 PM »
thanks for your message.
mike mentioned you had a house rabbit so I'm glad to hear of your experiences! was your rabbit ever frightened of the dog?
my biggest worry is that I'll get the dog - and then the rabbit will be terrified of it and will be permanently afraid of being out of his hutch, which would seem very unfair...
it may seem a strange question, but as my rabbit is a male do you think it would make a difference whether I get a male or female cocker as to how they will get on? alfie is quite territorial already around my husband!
also,I'm presuming the youngerthe puppy the better, if alfie is to feel he's still top dog - or top bunny, as it were!

look forward to your response.

vicky                    

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
puppies and rabbits!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 03:43:12 PM »
Vicky - as long as you get a puppy - Alfie is highly unlikely to be scared. I don't think gender will matter either - although you may have some problems with Alfie being jealous of the new puppy!!

You just have to watch as your puppy gets older and bigger that he doesn't harm bunny - albeit unintentionally - that's why it's important to start off firm with puppy - that Alfie rules!!

I know people who have dogs and rabbits running quite happily around the house together - the bunnies get fed while the dogs wait - and they all share the same drinkng bowl - with Bunnies getting in first.

My Bunny lives indoors all the time - but has his own cage. He's an old fella now - although very fit and healthy - and because of the two dogs being quite close and getting a bit giddy - we tend not to let them run about together now.

Alfie sounds like he could hold his own - so go for it :D

hth                    
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Hel

• Site Member
puppies and rabbits!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 07:13:18 PM »
Hi,
I don't know about puppies, but our rescue cocker Tia was despirate to chase squirrels when we first got her, and I was worried about our two rabbits who live outside, but run free all day.
We introduced her slowly, and on the day she got past me she only wanted to pinch their food.
Once she realised they were part of the family, she has been OK - so far so good.

Wow, that's pretty impressive.  Never could I introduce my adult rescues to pet rabbits.  Pip chases everything and does have a bit of a killer instinct - as I found out when I had mice in the house.  Even Fletch, who is good with most things, will forget everything to chase a rabbit.

What a good girl Tia is  :)                    

Offline Mary P

• Site Member
puppies and rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 02:27:07 AM »
Hi,
Yes, Tia is a very gentle and tolerant dog!
I've just remembered - when we looked after a friends cocker last year for some weeks, we kept cocker and rabbits apart. The first time they met, the rabbits were in their carry box and the dog was loose. Our male rabbit then put the dog in her place with a very loud thump of his foot, and the dog gave the rabbits a wide berth for the rest of her stay!
Cheers,                    
Mary P

Please help me raise £1000 for MAGGIE'S CENTRES
Thanks!

www.justgiving.com/Mary-Cuba2015

I NEED YOUR HELP, PLEASE DONATE!!! PLEASE ASK OTHERS TO DONATE!!!

Offline Georgie

• Site Member
puppies and rabbits!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 11:52:16 AM »
Don't worry, I have a cocker spaniel and a rabbit and they are fine. Bailey has a sniff and then ignores the rabbit. They might seem a bit distracted but the rabbit's never been scared. I'm sure they'll be fine.
Jordy                    
From Georgie and Bailey xxx