Author Topic: Tail Docking  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Tail Docking
« on: March 05, 2004, 11:36:37 PM »
Apologies is this has been mentioned somewhere already. Just wondering what are the laws regarding tail docking in England. Are there any? Is it still allowed?
Tail docking is banned Australia wide as from the  first of April.                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Tail Docking
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 11:53:56 PM »
Tail docking remains legal in the UK for the time being, as long as its carried out by a vet at the appropriate time. There may be a ban introduced in the forthcoming Animal Welfare bill but there is some talk of some breeds being exempt from the ban (gundogs) so who knows?                    
Jane

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Tail Docking
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 11:58:28 PM »
Thanks Jane. Does this mean that breeders don't do it?                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Tail Docking
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2004, 12:05:49 AM »
Thanks Jane. Does this mean that breeders don't do it?

No they don't or they shouldn't - it's illegal for a layperson to dock tails in the UK.                    
Jane

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
Tail Docking
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2004, 12:30:32 AM »
How do people who want undocked cockers go about it? Do some breeders offer the choice if you are pre-booking before the birth?                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Tail Docking
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2004, 12:46:12 AM »
How do people who want undocked cockers go about it? Do some breeders offer the choice if you are pre-booking before the birth?

I think that would be possible, as the docking is usually done at about 3 days old.  Indie is undocked, that was the breeders choice, as they werent to be used for showing, although you can still show an undocked cocker, infact there was an american cocker undocked at crufts today :)  Not sure how he/she did though :roll:

There will never be a right or wrong on this issue, its mostly down to personal choice and for what the dog will be used for, I think I am right in saying an docked cocker will do better in the show ring than an undocked cocker :?  I think basically cos its unsual to see an undocked cocker, I was talking to a breeder/shower at the lancs show, and he was saying that things that are unusal dont tend to do well at shows :?  Not sure how true that is, it does kinda make some sence though :D

Personally, I would be happy to take a cocker on with or without tail, providing that the tail has been removed in a humane professional way, which I am sure 99.9% of cases are :)  Its nice to see a cocker wag its tail, and its equally nice to see a cocker wag its bum 8)   I can see both sides of the coin in this everlasting debate, tail damage is really nasty :(  

All the above is only my humble opinion :D                    

ziggy

Tail Docking
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2004, 03:12:35 PM »
hi i have read in the dogs today magazine that there is a council for tail docking don,t no if that still is true though,,i don,t mind either way but i think it,s probably true that they would not fare well in shows if they did not meet specific standards,,  never mind with or without we still luv em,,my hubby had hair when i met him,,now he,s bald,,still love him to bits though,,costs a packet that mr sheen doesn,t it tee hee :wink:                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Tail Docking
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2004, 04:18:09 PM »
The Cocker Breed Standard has a section on docked and undocked tails - an undocked tail is not contrary to the breed standard. There was an imported undocked Cocker shown at Crufts this year as well as undocked examples of various other breeds.                    
Jane

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Tail Docking
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 04:58:55 PM »
There was an imported undocked Cocker shown at Crufts this year.

Undocked AND an unusual colour............I have to say I think he's lovely  :D                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Tail Docking
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 06:50:18 PM »
Which colour was he Michele - I got a golden cocker with a tail on film, I think. Speaking of colours, how nice was it to see a sable cocker on show - and there was me telling my friend who shows them in Denmark "noooo, there wont be any sable cockers today!"  :lol: :oops:                    

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
Tail Docking
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2004, 08:08:52 PM »
I saw a black one with tail as well  :wink:                    
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Tail Docking
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2004, 11:08:09 PM »

I have still only seen a photo of the sable boy :(                    
Jane

Offline Beano and Charlies mum

• Site Member
    • http://img20.photobucket.com/albums/v60/beanosmum/
Tail Docking
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 11:40:37 PM »
Jane,

The Sable boy was very lovely, and his colouring was gorgeous. Was speaking to the lady who owned him for quite a while. She was very friendly!

I also spoke to an old gentleman who was showing a black undocked cocker! He was very sweet and apparently has 24 cockers, with only 4 of them being docked !

Sam                    

Offline valerie

• Site Member
Tail Docking
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2004, 07:17:16 PM »
hi if i was you [and i'm not ] i would leave his tail alone unless he's going to be a working dog in the field  my 10mths old cocker ,max has his tail and he's such a handsome chap! i did have the choice to have his tail docked but decided not to. the only disavantage to him having his tail is that he tends to bite [chew]  it when he is nervous [when he is left alone]  and people are not sure what breed he is but he's 100% cocker spaniel. well its up to you, valerie.                    
valerie henderson

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Tail Docking
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2004, 09:19:45 PM »
Which colour was he Michele - I got a golden cocker with a tail on film, I think. Speaking of colours, how nice was it to see a sable cocker on show - and there was me telling my friend who shows them in Denmark "noooo, there wont be any sable cockers today!"  :lol: :oops:

Well, you've answered your own question Mike  :D  :wink:

I have still only seen a photo of the sable boy :(

Jane, you'll have to come up to the Solid Colours show at Baginton on the 24th, Pam may well be there, at least thats where I saw him as I was gazing out of the kitchen window whilst doing some washing up  :roll:  :D Couldn't believe what I was seeing at first, and then later Pam let me go over him, I thought he was very nice :D

Edited to add, I've just found this site  :D
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...-8%26oe%3DUTF-8