Author Topic: Boosters  (Read 1156 times)

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Boosters
« on: March 07, 2004, 02:57:11 PM »
Blue is almost due for his booster and Ive just read an earlier thread about vacinations.

Am I right in thinking that I should go ahead with Blues first booster and speak to my vet about then having him vaccinated every other year?                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Boosters
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2004, 05:38:56 PM »
I was very sceptical about annual boosters for my lot, having heard about a few cases of Auto-immune.
But since moving into the countryside, where we have an abundance of various wildlife, I think the sensible thing, in my case is to continue with annual boosters.                    
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Boosters
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 04:04:27 PM »
if your dog was at risk of auto immune would that not become apparent on his first lot of injections?                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline PennyB

Boosters
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 08:34:04 PM »
I am thinking of giving mine the parvo vaccine every 2 years but not the lepto (that I think will have to be annually as my two love swimming in the river and no doubt some of the rats do as well). For the parvo you can get titres done to check their antibody levels which is something else I'm looking into.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Boosters
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 09:50:48 PM »
Thanks for your reply Penny I'm arranging an appointment with our vet to discuss Blues immunisation and titres sounds like something that i'd be interested in getting alot more information on too.                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline PennyB

Boosters
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 09:10:43 PM »
Maria, my vet was very helpful and while he sits on the fence he was willing to discuss all the options with me.

My own concerns had been because my pup had cancer and it worried me about vaccinating too much as this can overstimulate the immune system.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Boosters
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 09:25:41 PM »
i'm really sorry to hear your dog had cancer Penny, that must have been such a worrying time for you.

My concerns are no where near yours and are purely because i'm a born worrier and although my last dog was vaccinated yearly with no side effects, i've since been reading about auto immune and want to do everything that i can to prevent this from ever happening to Blue if i can.

I was exactly the same over the children when they had their immunisations :roll:                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx