Author Topic: The Cocker Spaniel Club  (Read 1831 times)

Offline taliska

• Site Member
    • Our Family
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« on: March 08, 2004, 11:39:02 AM »
I don’t wish to offend/upset anyone, but I was a little disappointed by the reception I was given a the Cocker Spaniel Club stand at Crufts on Friday.

Having previously checked out the website, I was interested in joining in the interests of supporting the breed and doing my bit etc.

I went to the stand (it wasn’t busy at the time) and expressed an interest in joining and was just handed a form and told I needed two sponsors.   No friendly welcome, this is what we do, who we are etc.   :(  :(

Perhaps a more friendly Cockers Online person, can give me the low down on what they are about.

and perhaps suggest to the Breed Club that they are a little more welcoming to potential new members.                    
Sue, Steve
Twins Sam and Sophie
Cockers - Taliska & Jurra
Puddy Cats - Tigger, Frankie & Tino

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 11:49:30 AM »
Hi Sue

I'm sorry you felt you were not given a friendly response when you approached the Cocker Club stand. It could be that you just caught whoever was manning the stand at a bad moment - they could have been exhausted (some Committee members had to be at the NEC at 6am) or maybe they'd just had a bad time in the ring :wink: If you would like to raise this with the Committee, then email the Club via the website and your complaint will be forwarded to the Secretary for discussion at the next meeting. If you would like more info on the Club in general, then again use the email address on the Club website and you will receive a quick reply.

Jane
(wearing my Cocker Club Website Admin hat :))                    
Jane

Offline Sarah_S

• Site Member
    • kennel coruscant
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 11:53:06 AM »
Sorry to hear this, you must have been there at the wrong time. I talked to them as well, and they were very nice to me (but very busy though)  :wink:

Never found out what I get for the £15, beside the yearbook though.  :?
I bought the 2003 yearbook and it's excellent. It was superb reading stuff in the plane home.  :D                    
Coruscant cockers and newfies
with homepage, now also in English.....

ziggy

The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 03:05:24 PM »
hi,,i also talked to them and although they were busy they were friendly enough,,,maybe because i was so exited i nearly fainted they felt sorry for me tee hee :wink:                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2004, 04:07:49 PM »

Never found out what I get for the £15, beside the yearbook though.  :?  
I bought the 2003 yearbook and it's excellent. It was superb reading stuff in the plane home.  :D

The Year Book is worth the price of membership alone I think :wink:                    
Jane

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 04:54:05 PM »
Hi
I also felt a little disappointed by the off hand treatment I was given at the stand.  Like Sue enquired about membership and was gruffly told that I needed a sponsor etc and was sent off with my form!!

Did manage to help a little as my wife purchased a key fob for me (from another person at the stand I guess)                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 05:06:44 PM »
:) I have always wondered why people should need two sponsors to be a member of the cocker spaniel club? :?    Is that normal practice for any breed club too?  As not  everyone has the privaledge of knowing people well enough to ask them to sponsor them, but still have a very keen interest in the welfare of the breed :)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 05:33:40 PM »
It's not elitist Emma- it's designed to make sure only people genuinely interested in the breed join. If membership was open to all regardless of their motives for joining, there would be nothing to stop puppy farmers, dubious dealers (home & overseas) etc from joining & using their membership as a way of giving their activities respectability. It is possible to join without 2 sponsors - the Club is well aware some pet owners would find this difficult and in fact Andrew explained to several people at Crufts that if they could not find 2 sponsors, then an application with a letter containing background info and detailing their interest in the breed would probably be considered favourably, provided there were no objections. Not all breed clubs require sponsorship but major parent Clubs often do eg The Golden Retriever Club, Weimaraner Club of GB, Labrador Retriever Club to name but three :wink:                    
Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 05:45:03 PM »
:) Jane, I changed my thread as I thought elitest was the wrong word for me to use :wink:  I couldn't put into words properly what I was trying to ask!  From your explanation, I can now see the point of the sponsors, especially with regard to the puppy farmers and dodgy folk :roll:  I hadn't thought of that :?   All I was trying to say is that it can put your average pet owner  with a keen interest in the breed off, as not everyone has access to people who would be willing to sponsor them, or even know where to start for that matter :?  But now as you have explained that there are exceptions, it could be helpful to people reading the thread :D  

I am pretty sure I wasn't the only one who wondered about this :? :)                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 09:50:58 PM »
:) All I was trying to say is that it can put your average pet owner  with a keen interest in the breed off, as not everyone has access to people who would be willing to sponsor them, or even know where to start for that matter :?

Yes this point is appreciated but at the same time, if anyone has a query about membership and/or sponsorship they only have to ask for more info either via email or by ringing the Secretary up, as many people do already of course :) Advice on how to find sponsors was also being given out at Crufts but obviously in a few cases, service left a bit to be desired which is unfortunate.                    
Jane

Offline Sophie

• Site Member
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 11:48:56 AM »
Jane

Thanks for the explanation and of course with the potential of puppy farmers using the status afforded by membership it pays to be careful.  I shall be forwarding my application with a letter of explanation as you suggest.

I must have just got to the stand at a bad time :D                    

Offline lesley8162

• Site Member
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 02:05:11 PM »
Hi after reading this I have visited the site and wondered how would I get someone to sponsor me if I don't know anyone who is a member?? I would genuinely like to become a member but may find it difficult.  Lesley and Dicksy                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 03:47:14 PM »
Hi Lesley

You would have no problems as Dicky's breeders are existing members and I'm sure they would be willing to propose & second you :)

Jane                    
Jane

Offline lesley8162

• Site Member
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 04:02:46 PM »
Thank you I will contact them.                    

Offline taliska

• Site Member
    • Our Family
The Cocker Spaniel Club
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2004, 02:29:51 PM »
Thanks for the info and explanations Jane, will give follow up and give it another go.                    
Sue, Steve
Twins Sam and Sophie
Cockers - Taliska & Jurra
Puddy Cats - Tigger, Frankie & Tino