Author Topic: is anyone else's cocker under a year old eating adult food?  (Read 909 times)

Offline valerie

• Site Member
is anyone else's cocker under a year old eating adult food?
« on: March 12, 2004, 07:32:28 PM »
hi i wonder if you could help me max is 10mths old and fed-up with the puppy food and i have tried him on junior food although he doesn't like i tried a tin of adult stuff and mixed it up with his dry junior stuff a handfull and he eats it no bother his poo seems solid enough and he dosent complain of a sore belly, so am i doing the right thing?. valerie                    
valerie henderson

Offline paul the decorator

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 08:02:11 PM »
Hi Valerie,

Smudge is 13 months old and I have fed him on James WEllbeloved Dry food since he was 6 months.
I tried various foods before this and this one he seemed to instantly settle to. He certainly seemed full and not as hungry and they do a range starting
with Puppy , Junior and Senior.
When Smudge was 11 months he seemed to be getting a bit hyper and various other dog owners I walk with suggested moving him up to the Junior.
Their theory was that the puppy had a higher proportion of Protein and now he would not need that extra as he was getting beyond the puppy stage. I changed it and he certainly settled down and now he has about 250 gms a day with a third for breakfast and the rest for tea. I've tried to kick his breakfasts into touch but he doesn't like it.
My wife inadvertenly got a bag of the Senior about a month ago and he went off his food straight away. It wasn't the flavour as we got another bag of junior and he wolfed it down.
The only thing we have started to do as well is adding a bit of warm water to bring out the smells and flavour ,maybe he just thinks he's getting some more of the gravy we give him with his food as the occasional treat.
I think a lot depends on the amount of exercise they get as well as Smudge spends the day with a 12 month Springer spaniel called basil and he also gets two half hour walks a day.
I have never tried tinned , or gone vege! as he seems happy and the dry food is so less messy and conveniant ,especially if we are away visiying as the food doesn't smell as well.
As my mum said if he's happy and regular don't mess

If anyone out there can point me to the North West meet topic I saw the other day I would be grateful .I can't remeber which topic it came under.

byeeeeeeee

Paul and Smudge                    

Offline padfoot

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 11:15:10 PM »
Toby is 8 months old and he is on adult food now. I've a bit worried now I've read this that he should be on puppy food, but the rescue told me he ate adult complete, and as he and Millie share their food I don't know how I could realistically give them different meals.