Author Topic: what behaviours have your dogs taught you?  (Read 1858 times)

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
what behaviours have your dogs taught you?
« on: June 16, 2009, 02:43:23 PM »
following on from livercakes thread ..    
has your dog any learned behaviours that were unintentionally taught?
 It got me thinking.. my dogs have taught me a few "tricks" they are very bright, brighter than me it seems at times and of my friends and family as well.

pepper has taught me to come instantly when she rattles her waterbowl as that means it needs filled.

she has taught my friends who visit to fill their pockets with biscuits and will insist on emptying said pockets . she then does a lassie impression and runs to the door then back to the friend pulls at her until she stands up and follows her through to the kitchen cupboard which she points at until she gets another dog biscuit. she will boss my friend around like this all day if she gets away with it.

If the dogs havent been out in the car for a few days pepper will run to the car boot and stare at it until you open it then all 3 leap in and will stay there all day or until you go for a run and they get to have a race around somewhere nice. they dont give up easily Ive left them sitting there boot open and they literally wont shift .

pepper is the ringleader without a doubt and a very clever manipulative dog she is. Ive probably not even realised half the time that she is "working" me and not the other way around!  ;) :005:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
Re: what behaviours have your dogs taught you?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:06:27 PM »
 :005: :005: Good thread...

Normy has taught me to open the back door for her when it suits her. One bark from those huge lungs renders enough ear pain to get me to act quick smart.

Dave...... has taught me endless patience and that I can even love something covered in fox poo with a rotting frog hanging from it's mouth and flies buzzing around it's head. Did anyone read the Frank Muir books 'What a mess?'

On a more dull note :lol2:, I guess all my dogs have taught me a lot. When I got my first dog, I really thought I'd train him (in a military black and white fashion) and he'd just do what I asked  :005: Learning about what makes dogs tick and building a relationship with them is the best behaviour I've been taught by all my dogs, and the most rewarding. I should probably thank them for tollerating all the mistakes I've made in a very dignified way too  :luv:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 04:00:23 PM »
Roly has taught me never to leave my slippers/socks etc on the floor (other shoes are safe) unless I want them carried off to his secret stash of stuff in various locations around the house.  Generally you will quite often find them on a table out of his reach

Roly has also taught me that he prefers to jump into the car if I am standing on his left (don't know why) - he will refuse to get in if I'm on his right.

Misha is very good at letting me know when she wants a cuddle :luv: :luv: as is Roly.

Misha has taught me to burp her every morning after breakfast - and generally is chuffed to bits when she's done it  :005:

Misha will stare at my coat hanging on the back door if she thinks it's time for a walk

Both have taught me that appearances don't matter - they don't care what I look like first thing in the morning out on a walk  ;)

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 04:18:07 PM »
:005: :005: Good thread...

When I got my first dog, I really thought I'd train him (in a military black and white fashion) and he'd just do what I asked  :005: Learning about what makes dogs tick and building a relationship with them is the best behaviour I've been taught by all my dogs, and the most rewarding. I should probably thank them for tollerating all the mistakes I've made in a very dignified way too  :luv:

This is soooo true for me and Chloe too.
I think the thing I value most that Chloe has taught me is patience...I'm still not the most patient person in the world but massively better than I was when I first got her  ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 04:25:16 PM »

Lola has taught me to tell the time without even looking at the clock...she will tell me when her brekkie..dinner..bedtime biccy is and she is always bang on time  :005:

Agree with Hannah...my 2 have taught me that they are more than a furball with four legs.....the more im with them the more i learn  ;)

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 04:31:41 PM »
That trudging around the countryside in the pouring rain/howling wind/driving snow/boggy mud/pitch dark at 7am in February/pitch dark at 5pm in February* is character building :lol2:

*delete as applicable, more than one may apply :005:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 04:34:27 PM »
That trudging around the countryside in the pouring rain/howling wind/driving snow/boggy mud/pitch dark at 7am in February/pitch dark at 5pm in February* is character building :lol2:

*delete as applicable, more than one may apply :005:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Chloe has never seen 7am in February and anything she sees after 7pm is only in the back garden  :005:

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 04:36:19 PM »
Wherry has taught me that mopping the floor is a fruitless exercise  >:(  :005:
Gizzy has taught me that a smile and a flutter of the eye lashes will get you far  ;)  :005:
Both have taught me that sometimes a cuddle on the floor is better than the best seat in the house  :luv:

And on a serious note, again both have taught me that I could have a dog again and the love, laughter and happiness you get from them is worth every part of the pain when you lose them  :luv:  :luv:
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »
And on a serious note, again both have taught me that I could have a dog again and the love, laughter and happiness you get from them is worth every part of the pain when you lose them  :luv:  :luv:

Aw so true.... but SO SO painful  :-*

Oh, and ditto on the floor cleaning lesson...  :lol:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 05:55:24 PM »
That going for a walk without the human carrying a chuckit and continually throwing a ball is a pointless exercise.

That it is impossible to do a poo in one go and you need to break it up to into at least three separate stops throughout the walk.

That while you are sat on the loo you may as well kill two birds with one stone and have a cocker on your knee for company.

Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline Annie's Mum

• Donator
  • Annie Cocker & Maisie Cav
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 06:09:25 PM »
Annie has taught me that everyday is great in a Cocker world..and no matter how bad Mummy's day was, when she pulls up in the car and see's her smiling cocker at the window... she always forgets that bad day and she smiles back :luv:
Sarah owned by Maisie & Annie

Offline mcphee

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 08:28:50 PM »
Rufus has taught me that there are a lot more squirrels bunnies and birds around than we humans realise. Also, that it is ridiculous for a human to expect half a double bed when about nine inches is plenty.

Offline LindyLou

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 08:46:16 PM »

That while you are sat on the loo you may as well kill two birds with one stone and have a cocker on your knee for company.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ohhhhh - glad I'm not the only one! :005: :005: ph34r ph34r
Linda & Baxter

Offline lisalh

• Donator
  • Fred
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 09:49:54 PM »

Ditto..

And going for a shower should always be a cocker spectator sport  ;) ;)
The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog.  ~Ambrose Bierce

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 09:55:29 PM »
Molly has taught my dad that when she visits him he has to go straight to the breadbin and get her a biscuit. If he performs well and in a timely manner she will reward him with cocker cuddles  :005:
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.