Author Topic: 'fess-up if you cook for your dogs.  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Ian B

• Site Member
'fess-up if you cook for your dogs.
« on: March 13, 2010, 07:34:18 PM »
We generally feed our gang on Royal Canin but a couple of times a month I can be found slaving over a hot stove cooking up a huge pot of mince (beef, pork or lamb) mixed veg and rice seasoned with garlic.
They know this effort is for their benefit and will crowd around with woofs & wags of encouragement. We then portion up & freeze about 2/3 whilst the remainder does breakfast and dinner for a couple of days and aslo gives them a break form their usual kibble.
Misty, Cooper.
(George, Jarvis & Dale at the Bridge)

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
Re: 'fess-up if you cook for your dogs.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 07:39:49 PM »
yes - I do - its usually steamed chicken, fish or lamb shanks and veg - I love cooking for my dogs they are sooo appreciative  :005:  they have kibble breakfast usually...with small teaspoon of yogurt

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 07:42:59 PM »
Lamb shanks, necks and veg in the slow cooker. They love it.
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 07:45:16 PM »

Don't cook, but do spend a reasonable amount of time sorting out her raw diet!  :D
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Oh god, YES!!! sometimes though they have their complete food with just packet meat or gravy or plain.
Some nights we well by we i meant I cook them Vegetables to go with it, or chicken/Fish/Rice. Sunday's though they get a generous portion of sunday lunch!! they know when Sunday arrives!! almost as excited as i am!
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline coralee

• How YOU doin'?
    • Occasionally Obsessed about Nothing
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 07:48:29 PM »
I haven't got to the slaving over a hot oven yet (although I'm sure that's to come!) However my OH is astounded by the time I take chopping, creating and making treats, kongs and all things yum for Harvey - far more effort goes in to the kongs than our dinners!  :005: (good job the OH is a cracking chef!)  :004:
To err is human, to forgive is canine.

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 07:51:13 PM »
Up until last week, YES  :005:    because of Purdeys allergies, I'd cook up Turkey, veg, mixed herbs & a touch of garlic(sometimes OH would come home from work & would comment on how lovely tea smelt.......i had to inform him that, that was for the dogs & his was in the freezer & off to work I'd go  :011: )

Last week, however, I started the girls on a barf diet & can't believe how easy it is ( no more cooking  :dance04: ) (& how 'not very good' other foods are for them  :o )

If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline JaspersMum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 08:44:53 PM »
Yep,big portions of pasta, rabbit, tripe and veg portioned up, frozen and dished up for dinner each day.

Jenny - owned by Jasper, Ellie, Heidi, Louie & Charlie

Offline Lily Freya

• Owned by Luis, Ollie and Gracie.
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 10:27:36 PM »
Yes...............I admit to it. 

I cook lambs liver for my 3.  I use it for recall when we go on the tops.  They love it, so it works a treat.

When I am cooking it in the kitchen, the sound is horrendous.  You would think three dogs were being murdered.  Good job it cooks quickly.  :005: :005:

No longer in my arms, but forever in my heart, my girls at the Bridge, Lily and Freya. Xx

Offline cockers rock!

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 10:32:12 PM »
Yes - Hector has scrambled egg, porridge, fish, turkey, sardines,carrots and various small portions of greens.

He basically has 1/2 dried food with whatever is today's special

However I was very interested about the raw food diet they were talking about on crufts and will research this with a view to incorporating this also.

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 02:21:14 PM »

Don't cook, but do spend a reasonable amount of time sorting out her raw diet!  :D

Same here. But have found out that Logan loves liverbread so may have to bake that. :005:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Robbie34

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 04:01:58 PM »
I very rarely cook solely for Charley.  He always has something of what I have so cook a bit extra no matter what it is.  He loves chicken, turkey, steak of any description, roast beef, roast pork, lamb and pork chops.  He also loves kippers.

Offline weenieangel

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 04:15:10 PM »
We havent yet "cooked " for Charley as not had him that long so concentrated on getting weigh on and keeping diet the same etc... I have done 2 batches of Tuna bread though which works wonders on Sundays at training classes :)

Does anyone have the Livercake Receipe - i dont have a food processor so not sure i will have facilities to do it myself - but im sure the parents will oblidge at thiers :)

Offline Ian B

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 05:01:57 PM »
We havent yet "cooked " for Charley as not had him that long so concentrated on getting weigh on and keeping diet the same etc... I have done 2 batches of Tuna bread though which works wonders on Sundays at training classes :)

Does anyone have the Livercake Receipe - i dont have a food processor so not sure i will have facilities to do it myself - but im sure the parents will oblidge at thiers :)

I use these recipies for treats.

Willows Kitchen
Misty, Cooper.
(George, Jarvis & Dale at the Bridge)

Offline weenieangel

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 05:03:57 PM »
Opps getting the below message when i click on your link - thanks for trying though :)

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

•Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
•If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
•Click the Back button to try another link.
HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

•Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
•Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages