Author Topic: working shifts  (Read 533 times)

Offline fiona2

• Donator
working shifts
« on: August 28, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »
how many on this site work shifts and how do your dogs work aroud this?

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
Re: working shifts
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 06:30:31 PM »
My hubby works shifts and I work 3 days a week....fortunately my Dad lives near by so on the days when neither of us is around, he lets them out for tinkles and cuddles. 

He has 'long offs' and days off between each shift pattern so probably in a month, they will have just a couple of days when they are left from 8 til 3 with a Grandad break......when we know this will happen, they'll get extra walks the day before to poop them out enough to want to kip all day :005: :005:

I think with my hubby working shifts, our dogs actually get more walks and attention than if he worked a 9-5 job tbh.....with the way it works out, most of the time one of us is in (or rather out with the dogs ;))

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 07:12:59 PM »
My hubby works shifts and I work 'normal' hours.  If he didn't work shifts, we couldn't have the dogs.  We don't have family or neighbours that we could ask to check on them during the day.  They do have a period most days where they are left alone, but they are used to it, and spend the time either sleeping or getting up to mischief!  :005:  Works well for us, although we don't see as much of each other as we would like.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 07:50:28 PM »
When we had our first 2 Cockers, many years ago, OH used to work shifts and I worked part time, 3 days of 6 hours I think. I also worked flexitime so had quite a lot of flexibility about what time I could start and finish.

It was no problem when OH was working an early as I'd leave home at 9.00am, having given the dogs a long walk and he would be home just after 2.00pm. When he was on lates he'd be home until about 1.30pm and would walk the dogs, then I'd be home by 5.00pm. Middles were a bit trickier. I'd walk the dogs really early then go into work before OH left so I could be home mid afternoon.

My mum was still alive then and would usually pop in around lunchtime on at least one of my working days and let the dogs out, then stay for tea with us.

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 08:26:24 PM »
I had to ask to work shifts to make dog owning work. i start at 6am and finish at 2pm. OH works 10 till 6. He covers morning dog care and  sort the evenings.

However ive found if we have a 20 min trott round the block at 2.30 i can fit in an afternoon snooze with the dogs ph34r before a late afternoon dog walk and home for dinner and training classes.