Author Topic: worst day of my life... got swarmed by wasps while on a walk  (Read 1998 times)

Offline BillysMum

• Site Member
worst day of my life... got swarmed by wasps while on a walk
« on: September 27, 2011, 09:36:56 PM »
I'm still feeling really shaky from todays walk.... we went down by the river as it was really hot and i thought they could both have a swim... alfie (my lab) recently sliced his pad badly so hasn't been able to do much lately so we walked down our usual route only to come accross a field of cows so we detoured to the otherside of the field and along the main river.... it was lovely, we spotted a family of swans and all was great until billy did his "i've stung my feet" dance which he usually does with nettles and came running to me for reassurance.... the next thing i know my mum shouts for me to call alfie.... i look up and he's COVERED in wasps 

me and my mum were screaming at him to come because he was right next to the nest.... he had walked straight through it after billy had disturbed them 

alfie walked forward towards us and then laid down and started rolling over.... clearly being stung and scared  he started turning round snapping at them even though he had them on his ears, face, neck and back.... i then thought i had to get him in the river and din't even think how badly it could've turned out had they then swarmed me too..... i grabbed his collar and dragged him to the river (god knows how, he was pulling against me clearly in pain and scared) and i threw him down into the river, thankfully i managed to see him swimming, i was worried he'd be in shock and just drown  ....... he couldn't then get out of the river (i hadn't thought about getting him out) and we hadn't yet reached the bit with easy access for swimming so i had to hawl him out again by the collar  his tail was under and he was shaking  but i could see several wasps burrowing into his coat so i grabbed a stick and flicked them off him (not sure if thats the right thing to do) and we quickly headed home..... home was 5 mins up the road so quicker than the vets and i gave alfie and billy a piriton and my mum combed them while i phoned the vets.... they were great and told me what to look out for and if at all worried to take him straight there for a steroid injection but apparently i did all the right things (phew)

I honestly thought i was going to lose alfie today, seeing him covered in wasps and i mean covered and then see him start to snap at them... i just thought it was all over but thankfully his coat being so thick stopped too many stinging (i think) but had it been billy i've no doubt it would've killed him, he has very short fine coat compared to alfie and if they swarmed me i'm not sure i'd survive either as my adrenal glands don't cope with stressful situations like that would've been so all in all it was a terrifying day and i feel very lucky to have both my boys still here  :luv:  it could've been soooooo much worse!!!

I really needed to get that all out because i keep re-living it  so thank u if you've got this far   ph34r

to top it off i was checking billy over as he kept yelping when i touch his stomach so i had him rolled over on the floor when alfie came over to me and billy went for alfie  :'( they're not good with some other dogs but usually love each other so i'm hoping i can put that down to being scared/in pain coz now alfie is scared of every little buzzing noise and scared to go near billy  :'(

i can't wait for today to be over   :'(

I have learnt a very big lesson and as a warning to you all who walk in places where bees/wasps can be..... i've no idea what i would've done had there been no river nearby? its really scared me to walk them in places like that now  :'( the wasps were in a log of wood by the river

Offline Boof

• Site Member
Re: worst day of my life... got swarmed by wasps while on a walk
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:41:12 PM »
Big :bigarmhug: to all of you :luv: What a terrifying experience :'(

Offline ebony girl

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 09:45:28 PM »
omg...what a terrifying experience, am so relieved you are all still here to tell the tale, and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day and the stings wont hurt anymore......massive, massive hugs to you all  :bigarmhug:

Offline redlottie

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 09:47:21 PM »
What a dreadfully frightening experience and well done you for reacting so quickly to save your boy x try not to think what might have been and think how lucky you are to all still be together and safe... Dint forget special hugs and kisses for both of them tonight  :luv:

Offline karen488

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 09:51:11 PM »
Hope you're starting to feel better. Sounds so awful. Sometimes after the event is just as bad as you think through what might have been. Glad you're all safe and sound now  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
Be very proud of yourself that you acted so sensibly and quickly, no doubt you saved his life.  I hope the boys have a settled night and recover quickly from their horrifying ordeal (and you).   :luv: :luv:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv:

Offline MaggieR

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 10:01:48 PM »
My absolute worst nightmare :'(  You should be so proud of yourself, your instincts were perfect  :luv:
Hope you've had a lovely drink of something tonight, whether thats wine/hot chocolate/other.... a massive shock deserves treating with something comforting  :luv:
I'm sure your boys will be back together with each other very soon, am sure they must both be pretty tender  :'(
 :bigarmhug:'s from me and Mags
Lisa
xx
Lisa & Maggie x

One reason a dog can be such a comfort when you're feeling blue is that he doesn't try to find out why.  ~Author Unknown

Offline Pop-Star

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 10:02:28 PM »
 :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Janet & Poppy

Offline BillysMum

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 10:03:03 PM »
ahh thank you everyone!! i've since heard of several other incidents of wasps attacking dog walkers recently so be careful everyone.

Offline johndoran

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 10:31:48 PM »
What a nightmare! glad you are all safe and well.  :luv: :luv:
Bonnie Boo -A heartbeat at my feet

Offline tallulah0710

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 11:12:18 PM »
That sounds like my worst nightmare. Well done for your quick thinking  :angel:!

I HATE wasps  >:D

Offline Saffaroo

• Donator
  • both my girls safely at the bridge xx
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 05:35:41 AM »
Just seen this!  what an absolute fright - I think you acted very sensibly - haven't a clue what I'd have done - hope you and Billy are feeling a bit calmer today  :bigarmhug:

Dillon the Cavvie
Saffy dog 22.5.2000 - 4.12.2012
Shelley boo 25.3.2005 - 19.7.2011

Offline Carolynleah

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 06:11:54 AM »
What a horrible experience - I hope you have all managed a good night's sleep and feel better today - well done for your quick reactions!

Offline Choc-Chip

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 07:07:33 AM »
Oh how awful for you all. Hope you are all ok now. I would've been terrified too. It must be really scary when something like that happens. :bigarmhug: Sounds like you did all the right things though. 

Offline mlynnf50

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 07:16:31 AM »
Oh my goodness,  my worst nightmare, I am terrified of wasps and bees, if one comes near me I am screaming down the road, you did so well in keeping such a level head, poor little mites I hope they are feeling better today, big hugs to you all and lots of slurps from selby :luv: