Author Topic: identity capsule stolen  (Read 7251 times)

Offline silverdawn

identity capsule stolen
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:02:14 PM »
this morning Milli was taken for a walk to Barnard Castle to try and get her used to
traffic and people,..after many stops for people wanting to stop and pet pet her
and ask questions we arrived at a outdoor clothing shop where we did some window shopping,...
  it was then that milli was approached by a youth who without saying a word started to stroke milli
under her chin and neck,. (i thought nothing about it as it appeared quite normal) but i did notice a strange twisting action
 from his hand as he stroked her neck,...he quickly left,.again without saying a word,.but he did look back and gave a grin
as he went.
 it was only about 10 minutes later that it dawned on me what could have happened, and sure enough
when i looked,. her dog tag had been unscrewed and stolen..right in front of my eyes and i allowed it to happen...
 now he has got the address where Milli lives,our phone number and post code,..
  we are now both very worried indeed and at our wits end as to what could happen and i feel like a complete idiot for allowing it to happen >:(

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
Re: identity capsule stolen
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:09:35 PM »
I am really sorry this has happened to you don't blame yourself you wasn't to know the creep would do that,but this is why you should never provide so much information on either a tag or capsule,a landline and mobile number is always enough.

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »
How awful and frightening for you!  I am so sorry to read this and hope nothing comes of it.  My dogs' tags only have my mobile number on them as I read a warning some years ago saying the address, etc may be dangerous info in the wrong hands especially with so many dogs being stolen.  (I do know the law says address/ postcode needs to be on them too).
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline karen488

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
Don't blame yourself. What a right little &*&! >:D Try not to worry.  :bigarmhug:

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:18:58 PM »

It is a legal requirement to have your name and address on your pets tag and there is a fine I think for not doing so.  So sorry that you have been scared by this.  I think it sounds more like a complete twerp more than anything sinister.  The fact that he grinned at you rather than just melt away speaks volumes.  Beggar!
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 03:23:11 PM »
Its riddiculous that you people are stealing things right in front of our faces these days
Id have went after him if it had been me

I also am aware that by law you need postcode etc on tag but i refuse to put it on
I puit on the tag his name, My name (first name only) mobile number and that he is Microchipped so if someone finds him that wants to return him they can take him to local vets etc to be scanned

I bet you'll be tearing your hair out now with worry that they may be out to steal her - Its a terrible though and i like you would be absolutely devastated and sick with worry

I would rather pay a fine tbh but thats just me as im petrified that it gets into the wrong hands and diesel is extremely friendly and would go off with anyone if they broke into our house

My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »
Thats awful - hopefully nothing will come of it and it was just a teenage prank.

It is a legal requirement to have your name and address on your pets tag and there is a fine I think for not doing so.  So sorry that you have been scared by this.  I think it sounds more like a complete twerp more than anything sinister.  The fact that he grinned at you rather than just melt away speaks volumes.  Beggar!

While its no comfort its a legal requirement to have your address as well.  Should Milli have caused an accident and also found without the correct information the owner can be fined up to £5000

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/379

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »
I'm really sorry this happened, but don't blame yourself. I think most of us are pleased and proud when somebody makes a fuss of our Cockers and I certainly wouldn't have thought of any possible underhand motive if it had been me with my Cockers.

To be on the safe side, review your garden and home security. If Milli spends time (however brief) on her own in your garden make sure that gates are kept bolted and padlocked if possible. Can Milli be seen in the garden from the road? Could someone climb over your fence or gate to get to her and if so, how long would it take them?

When you take her out is she ever left in the car on your drive while you finish getting ready, or while you nip into a shop? When you leave her at home do you close all your windows?

I'm really, really not meaning to scaremonger here, and I hope it was nothing more than a youth making a fuss of Milli and thinking it would be fun and annoying to steal her ID capsule, but I do think that it would be wise to be very vigilant for the next few weeks.

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 03:29:53 PM »
I suppose it all depends on the individual.  I would never put the girls names on a tag and make it easier for someone to steal them by knowing their name!  To me the law asks for an address and that's what I do but everybody is different. :blink:

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 03:32:33 PM »
Is anybody aware of a fine
being handed out for not
having the required information
on a dog tag?
I just have my mobile number
and "microchipped" on Ellies.
steffxxx

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »

It is a legal requirement to have your name and address on your pets tag and there is a fine I think for not doing so.

I didn't know that Sheryl,so have just read this

http://ezinearticles.com/?Dog-Identity-Name-Tags---Discs---What-Information-is-Legally-Required-in-the-UK?&id=1894590

But we are told over and over these days about fraud and theft of our identities and our name,address and postcode are required on a dog tag  :huh: preferably scan me and microchipped too,well for a start my address wouldn't fit it's so long.
My dog is microchipped,she has mobile/landline numbers on one side and neutered and scan me on the other,i think i'll take the risk of a fine  ph34r
People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 03:41:27 PM »
i think i'll take the risk of a fine, But we are told over and over these days about fraud and theft of our identities and our name,address and postcode are required on a dog tag   preferably scan me and microchipped too

I also agree with this

However i am thinking of getting one without Diesels name on it now as like Sheryl says it does make it easier to take them if they coming running to you when you shout their name  ph34r

I think i shall get a new one without his name on it
My name is Diesel

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 03:45:16 PM »
Bob answers to most name said in a high pitched squeaky voice
so i dont think having the dogs name on the tag make much differance

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 03:48:22 PM »
Maybe not to you but it would to my girls.......again a personal choice :blink:

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »
Yeah Diesel will run to anyone who shouts diesel
And he wouldnt answer to a name he did not recognise so it would definately make a huge difference for him
I noticed this on the cocker walk - when people shouted him he would happily run to them for cuddles even though he had never met them and i defo think i should remove his name  ph34r
My name is Diesel