Author Topic: identity capsule stolen  (Read 7250 times)

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: identity capsule stolen
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »
Is anybody aware of a fine
being handed out for not
having the required information
on a dog tag?
I just have my mobile number
and "microchipped" on Ellies.
steffxxx

Have to admit I've never heard of any fines being handed out - quite possibly because its very easy for a dog to lose its tag.   A tip that our dog warden gave is that its a good idea to write a telephone number on the inside of the dogs collar as well.

Its worth bearing in mind that if your dog is picked up by the dog warden and they are unable to reach you by phone for one reason or another, having your address would mean the difference between your dog being returned to you or spending a night in council nominated kennels.  Given the number of dogs getting picked up and that many dog wardens work "office hours" if they can't get hold of you easily then its kennels and the owner of the dog has to foot the boarding cost.

There is no requirement to have your dogs name - none of my dog have their names on tags - only my surname, address, & mobile no.

ETA:
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=26183380
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline silverdawn

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
thank you all for your kind words and advice which will be acted upon,..
  one thing is for certain, we have learned from our mistakes and will be more wary in future.
  we were lucky in a way in that this particular scumbag only got away with the the capsule
and not our Milli,...in future we will be more protective of her,..thanks again...

Offline emilyjw

• Site Member
  • However crap the day cocker kisses aren't far away
    • Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 08:52:37 PM »
I always think it's a good idea to display in windows, tags etc that the dog is neutered/spayed/chipped etc. That way they will be less of a target.

I would also phone the police and give a description.
Emily & the Jabracken fluffies - Bracken, Hermes and Jasminex

http://www.fourpawsanimalrescue.org.uk

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 08:53:46 PM »
The exact same thing happened to me on a beach in Wales.  A middle aged couple were fussing and I saw them messing with her collar.  I ran to her and they rushed off.  It was only when I got back to the holiday cottage that I realised they have taken her identity tag.  Luckily the only details on the tag were our home number and my mobile number.  I know what people say about it being the law to have your address on the tag, but there is no way Ellie's name or our address is going on it.  If I get fined I get fined.

Thinking of you.  I so understand how you must be feeling.

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 09:20:49 PM »
Just a quick thought, if you need an address, how about your parents address or someone responsible that if the dog is found they would have an address to return him/her to.

Willow and Katie

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 09:42:41 PM »
thank you all for your kind words and advice which will be acted upon,..
  one thing is for certain, we have learned from our mistakes and will be more wary in future.
  we were lucky in a way in that this particular scumbag only got away with the the capsule
and not our Milli,...in future we will be more protective of her,..thanks again...

It may be some crumb of comfort to you that I have tried two of these capsule type tags and they repeatedly came loose themselves and eventually dropped off. So perhaps he didn't take it  :-\.

I personally don't have my dogs address on her tag but mine and my OH's mobile numbers and microchipped. We have our mobiles on us all the time and I think if my dog was missing I would probably answer my phone pretty sharpish  ;). And there probably wouldn't be anyone at home as we'd be out looking for the dog!

Millie

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 09:45:54 PM »

I personally don't have my dogs address on her tag but mine and my OH's mobile numbers and microchipped. We have our mobiles on us all the time and I think if my dog was missing I would probably answer my phone pretty sharpish  ;). And there probably wouldn't be anyone at home as we'd be out looking for the dog!
[/quote]

Ditto I just have 'chipped and spayed' a mobile number and our postcode nothing else

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 10:14:44 PM »
I too just have my mobile number and our surname and postcode.  After all, if ever one of my dogs was lost (god forbid!!!) I would be out looking so have my phone with me, and if a genuine person wanted to return the dog to me, they could find me from my postcode and surname.
Never, ever put the dog's name on the tag as it just makes it too easy!!
A number of people have assumed my surname is my dog's name and I never tell them otherwise - just in case!!!
(Would love to see them trying to get one of my dogs to respond to MY surname  :005: :005:)
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »
I think this should be put to the dog press to see if there is a way of coming up with a better and less obvious suggestion for what to put on identity discs which won't get the owner fined but becomes a recognised norm countrywide.

I hope that makes sense.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline jennycockerspaniel

• Donator
  • A.I.O.H Jenny
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 11:57:13 PM »
I just put my phone number and the vets and microchipped.
Penny Black Jennys niece

Offline karen488

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 07:24:54 AM »
Think the law def needs a change. Maybe your vets address would be a better one. Then if something had happened they would know medical history and that the dog would be paid for etc...

Offline Evadee

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 08:21:15 AM »
Again here I just have:

Mr & Mrs Surname
Microchipped
landline
mobile

I don't care what the law is (in this case), I would never entertain having our address or postcode on the tag.  Agree the address law needs updating.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 08:25:55 AM »

Same here - I have never had my address on Coco's tag - don't care what the law says.  ph34r I think the rules are outdated nowadays that everyone has a mobile on them all the time  :dunno:
Julie and Watson

Offline silverdawn

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 09:10:40 AM »
quote sarah,..post 20,..
   yes sarah this could have happened,...we both discussed this long and hard,..

we decided to post after we were certain the tag was there before we set off on her walk,
liz remembers it was there when she put here harness on before placing her in the car..
  i have searched the house and the part of the garden where she plays and found nothing,..

Offline silverdawn

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 09:36:07 AM »
when i realised (just outside Morrisons) that the tag had been stolen,a gentleman came up to me and
started to fuss Milli and he couldn't believe what had happened and when i told him my address
was on the tag allso,he was again in disbiefe,....he advised me to head home without delay as this person now knows you
are not at home and could be in contact with a friend with a car who could be heading towards my house with the intention
 to break in and steal,.......(some food for thought here.)