Author Topic: identity capsule stolen  (Read 7253 times)

Offline Toni-UK

• Site Member
  • Booby-Doo
Re: identity capsule stolen
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 06:35:28 PM »
It seems that what i said in my earlier post quite a few of you agree that you wouldn't put so much personal info on your dogs tag/disc,so i'm thinking most dog owners are probably the same.

I have been trying to find any info on any dog owner being fined £5000 for not fulfilling the requirements,but can't find anything  :-\ the law on what we put on tags/discs really does need changing.

People laugh at me because I'm different, but I laugh at them because they are all the same.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »
My tags have my mobile number & the vets phone number on one side and scan me I'm chipped on the other.

£5000 fine for not having an address on a dog tag - the law really is an ass sometimes  >:D
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 01:37:01 PM »
If by law i was to put an address on the tag i would put the vets address
They can scan him and call me if he is found but i would NEVER put my address on Diesels Tag
However i am going to order a new tag Without his name on it after this discussion
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 02:00:11 PM »
I'm with you on the vets address Charlene. I never put a dogs names on the discs anyway.
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 02:23:46 PM »

I don't get the panic about people knowing your address if your dog gets lost....  :huh: :huh:

Do all of you who are so worried about that also ensure that there is nothing in your purse with your address on, in case that is lost or stolen? 
If Honey was lost, I'd be far more concerned about getting her home to me as soon as possible than whether someone was trying to steal belongings on the off-chance that there was no-one left at home not walking (or looking for) the dog... 

While I can understand the experience of the OP was unnerving, I suspect if the youth did take the address details it was more likely to have been malicious mischief then planning to burgle... surely it is easier to get hold of a copy of the telephone directory and work your way through it to find out which houses are empty than to go to the trouble of finding a dog being walked (which wouldn't guarantee an empty house, we don't always walk Honey together!).  :dunno:
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 03:12:55 PM »
Absolutely agree.
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »
Also what's to stop them from using the phone number on the tag to phone to see if anyones home?

On balance I would prefer to have info on there that will, in a genuine case of the dog going missing, get them back to asap.
Mine just show telephone home&moblie, house no and postcode and my surname. More importantly to me is I also put Microchipped and spayed.
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline Pudding

• Donator
  • Bob My Love My Life
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 03:17:10 PM »
is it not more to do with that they know where the dog lives,
 if they wont to steel the dog ?????

Offline Sheryl

• Donator
Sheryl, Holly, Kali, Baby Lyla and Angel Chloe

Offline karen488

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 03:43:35 PM »
I thought that the other risk of theft value was waiting for the reward money. Doesn't most dog insurance now cover posters and reward £ ??? It sounds like an absolute doddle. Locate pedigree dog. Lift over fence. Hold onto for a week. Return and claim your cash bonus.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 05:04:09 PM »

Yes, this was my concern.  Don't care that much if my property is stolen as it's insured and mostly replaceable.  My dogs are another matter.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Karma

• Site Member
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »

If they were desperate to steal a particular dog, most addresses can be found from a telephone number...
Or they can call up using the phone number and scam more info out of you, then track you down....

If someone is determined to steal a particular dog, they will do it no matter what you do. (As happened locally, where a poodle was stolen, but two other dogs were left behind - the story had a happy ending and poodle was eventually reunited after 8 months!!)
People who steal opportunistically for insurance reward etc are likely to just take the opportunity in a park or an unsupervised dog in the garden... rather than tracking down an address, not knowing what the security would be like at a given house.   Or they just follow a dog home and find the location that way....

I'm all for not taking stupid risks with my dog's safety - I hate the fact that my in-laws are more than happy to leave her outside the village shop when they take her (despite the fact that they are well known in the village, and everyone would know who she was...), but I think she would be more at risk if lost and unable to be returned to me (handled incorrectly and placed in close proximity with other dogs she could easily be taken as aggressive) than from someone taking the time to work out where I live from my house number and postcode.  I made a point of including the fact that she is spayed on her id disc, to reduce her value to thieves, but if she goes missing I want to make it as easy as possible to get her home.
Remembering Honey. Aug 2007-July 2020

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 05:20:08 PM »

Yes, this was my concern.  Don't care that much if my property is stolen as it's insured and mostly replaceable.  My dogs are another matter.
This would be my worry too, not the theft of property, but of the dogs  :016: Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline black taz

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 06:10:38 PM »
my concern would that they would be more interested in your address to break in when you were out rather than necessarily the dog.

If you are concerned perhaps it would be worth contacting the local bobby to come and do a quick security check.  You can do the obvious things like locks on windows, double locks on doors, locks on gates etc. 

Offline Evadee

« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2011, 08:10:53 AM »
Just reading all the recent additions to this thread...

People don't need to be desperate to steal your dog, many offences in all sorts of crimes are done by mere opportunists as we make it so easy for them.  Why put temptation in peoples way?

We have been told for years and years now not to display our addresses publicly (tags on suitcases at airport for a random example).

I just feel that nowadays a telephone number and stating that your pet is micro chipped is adequate for anyone genuine who comes across your dog.  Why display more information than is absolutely necessary?

I guess it's a personal thing, I feel people should do what they are personally happy with which they appear to be doing  :D

I bet the law stays the same for years  :005: