Author Topic: Working/ show confusion anyone?  (Read 2571 times)

Offline bajoleth

• My Beautiful Belle.
Re: Working/ show confusion anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 07:58:14 AM »
I think its easy to forget that plenty of the general public are not acutely aware of the appearance of every breed. I for one was ignorant to the fact that there was such a thing as a working Cocker before I joined COL and that was just 3 yrs ago, I am not ashamed to admit that , why would I know?? I knew about the various breeds I had grown up with i'e GSD, Yorkie, Shitz shu (can never spell that), Collie Cross, Show type Cocker. As an adult I wanted a Cavie so know all about them as I owned one, when she died I wanted a Cocker like my childhood dog, if I had seen a worker out and about which I am pretty sure I would have I would have thought them a cross as my vision of an English Cocker Spaniel is a Show type, that doesn't make me a bad person I was just ignorant to the fact as to the 2 strains. Since joining Col I am aware and can quite clearly see the difference and appreciate the beauty of the 2. Through COL I have also found out about Field Spaniels, Flatcoats both if I had seen out and about before would have thought they were crossed with something as I didn't know about them ;)
My 2 have never been confused with anything apart from everyone thinking Belle is a boy when she is so clearly a pretty girl :005: so I can sort of understand your annoyance but I think sometimes us Dog owners give the General public far too much credit when it comes to recognising Dog Breeds ;)
Jo, Belle and Monty

Offline wendyt

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 09:37:38 AM »
I've got 2 WCS Murphy and Indy. A lady once commented when we were out that she'd never seen Springers that were "all one colour", when I said I'd never seen any either she gave me the strangest look and said "well that's odd you have 2 of them". I explained that they were WCS and not Springers but she still didn't look convinced and eventually said "are you sure". At that point I felt it was time to walk away. ph34r

We were on the beach not so long ago and I heard a lady say to her OH, "Oh look at that little setter puppy, isn't he beautiful", she was pointing at Indy, who is the most beautiful liver colour, I felt obliged to tell her that he was a WCS and she was so interested and asked quite a few questions about the boys, we had a really nice chat. :D

Offline NotanotherAlfie!

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 09:38:52 AM »
Our Alfie is a working cocker (alllegedly!) but looks more like a show.  He looks just like the Alfie posted on here except he is chocolate roan.  I actually keep his ear hair length quite long to give more of a show appearance  ph34r

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 09:45:03 AM »
I think its easy to forget that plenty of the general public are not acutely aware of the appearance of every breed. I for one was ignorant to the fact that there was such a thing as a working Cocker before I joined COL and that was just 3 yrs ago, I am not ashamed to admit that , why would I know?? I knew about the various breeds I had grown up with i'e GSD, Yorkie, Shitz shu (can never spell that), Collie Cross, Show type Cocker. As an adult I wanted a Cavie so know all about them as I owned one, when she died I wanted a Cocker like my childhood dog, if I had seen a worker out and about which I am pretty sure I would have I would have thought them a cross as my vision of an English Cocker Spaniel is a Show type, that doesn't make me a bad person I was just ignorant to the fact as to the 2 strains. Since joining Col I am aware and can quite clearly see the difference and appreciate the beauty of the 2. Through COL I have also found out about Field Spaniels, Flatcoats both if I had seen out and about before would have thought they were crossed with something as I didn't know about them ;)
My 2 have never been confused with anything apart from everyone thinking Belle is a boy when she is so clearly a pretty girl :005: so I can sort of understand your annoyance but I think sometimes us Dog owners give the General public far too much credit when it comes to recognising Dog Breeds ;)

I totally agree... just like cars look all the same to me because I know nothing about them, many dog breeds are not recognisable to many people and that's fair enough. I have no problem with that.  ;) :D

Skye is a cross between working and show, leaning more towards working look-wise. I have been asked what sort of spaniel she is as she definitely doesn't look like a show type cocker which is what people normally visualise as a cocker spaniel, but she doesn't look entirely like a working cocker either as her legs are quite long and her muzzle slighly more show type shaped... She has occasionally also been mistaken for an Irish Setter puppy...  :D I don't mind really and I am well used to the fact that most of my dogs never get recognised as the correct breeds anyway... having a saluki, American cocker, strange looking cocker and used to have a Pyrenean mountain dog...  :lol2:
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline rubytuesday007

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
when Ruby was little I used to get asked if she was a golden retriever, I used to say no she's a working Cocker.. to which a couple of people responded are you sure.. i dont think they come in that colour  >:( :fear2:

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 12:15:57 PM »
I was out with my show cockers once and someone thought they were terriers ph34r
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 12:26:01 PM »
I've been told that William is a Clumber on at least 3 occasions >:( and can only assume that it's because he's an orange roan with a lot of white and the people who were mistaken had never seen a Clumber in real life or they might have noticed the differences in size and shape.

Here's my "Clumber" masquerading as a very handsome show type Cocker :luv:
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm201/elaineestall/William3-2.jpg

Offline Clare B

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 12:32:10 PM »
Working cockers are very rare here in OZ, as far as I know there is only one breeder in oz abd they are in western Australia. I have though seen 2 , both brought out with their families when they moved from the UK.
My orange roan as a puppy has been mistaken for a springer ... I'm thinking welsh as there's a few around here and the colours similiar , but maybe I'm giving the benefit of the doubt.
The weirdest confusion was when Flo was a young pup and someone said she's a jack russell cross with something ... Must be the colour again, but really ... Jack Russell ?

Offline 8 Hairy Feet

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »
I didn't know there were 2 strains
until Pepper arrived but I've got
my cocker eye in now.
Have also recently seen a Clumber
which I thought was a Sussex but I
hadn't knowingly seen either before
so I'm going to forgive my own ignorance :005:
steffxxx

Offline black taz

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 12:40:08 PM »
I have been asked a couple of times if Taz is a cockerpoo >:D

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 01:13:46 PM »
People usually correctly identify Pippa as a cocker spaniel, but someone the other day commented on my TWO lovely cocker spaniels.  Barney is a Basset Fauve de Bretagne    :lol2:

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 03:09:27 PM »
I think you can be forgiven or the sussex/clumber- neither are very common! I do wonder how a cocker can be confused as a jrt or gr but oh well! I know my cocker is supposed to look
Like!

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 04:48:57 PM »
All the time ...  Alf is a show cocker and all show in his pedigree but, even to me looks like he has some worker in him = what do you think?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/bertie749/IMG_0498.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g194/bertie749/IMG_0610.jpg
Alf Looks like 100% Show Type to me especially with those gorgeous ears. You are very handsome Alfie  :luv:

Ditto Don't see how there could be ny confusion He's beautiful :luv: :luv:
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."