Author Topic: Advice needed....buying game  (Read 5825 times)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
Re: Advice needed....buying game
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 11:01:11 AM »
any unused birds/rabbits  (that don't go to the guns or beaters) from our shoots are delivered to the Estate where they are prepared and sold on via butchers/markets etc.  I think it's a fair deal for using their land (and equally, by letting us utilize the land and develop pheasant cover etc they are keeping the countryside alive  ;) )

It is a shame that birds are low value at the moment....I was speaking to a gamekeeper this week and he said at least it stops poachers - 15 years ago when the cost of a pheasant was worth the time and effort of preparing a bird, there was much more poaching going on  :-\

at this stage in the season there's not that many birds going spare - Cob-web, this year you need to be prepared to get the birds in bulk at the start of the season  ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Dog Mad

• Site Member
  • Einstein
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 11:08:08 AM »
What does pheasant taste like?  I only really eat chicken, turkey and maybe a bit of duck at the chinese!  I never fancy the thought of eating pheasant but if its a way of eating cheaper free range food than I may try it.
Debbie, Einstein & Morgan
RIP Bailey 02/11/2009
RIP Tara 10/05/2007

Cazzie

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2008, 11:24:05 AM »
What does pheasant taste like?  I only really eat chicken, turkey and maybe a bit of duck at the chinese!  I never fancy the thought of eating pheasant but if its a way of eating cheaper free range food than I may try it.

Pheasant is very tastey, it doent have a strong game taste like people imagine, it is similar to chicken but slightly dryer texture, its all in how you cook it. I made up a recipe book for all the people I have introduced to pheasant and they cant get enough of it now  ;)

I do one recipe where I stuff the pheasant breasts with Philly cheese and peaches, wrap the in bacon and cover in tinfoil and put them in the oven, its delicious. You really should try it I think you maybe quite surprised  ;)

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2008, 11:25:57 AM »

Pheasant is very tastey, it doent have a strong game taste like people imagine, it is similar to chicken but slightly dryer texture, its all in how you cook it. I made up a recipe book for all the people I have introduced to pheasant and they cant get enough of it now  ;)

I do one recipe where I stuff the pheasant breasts with Philly cheese and peaches, wrap the in bacon and cover in tinfoil and put them in the oven, its delicious. You really should try it I think you maybe quite surprised  ;)

i have a fab recipe involving pheasant breast, creme fraiche and apple....really really lovely ;)
helen & jarvis x

Cazzie

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2008, 11:26:35 AM »

i have a fab recipe involving pheasant breast, creme fraiche and apple....really really lovely ;)

Mmmmmmm need to get that one  :shades:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 12:55:46 PM »

Mmmmmmm need to get that one  :shades:

I will pm it to you later when i figure out where i put it  ::) :005:
helen & jarvis x

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 05:39:46 PM »
Cob-web, this year you need to be prepared to get the birds in bulk at the start of the season  ;)

I started this thread at the beginning of last season..... :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 05:40:46 PM »
Cob-web, this year you need to be prepared to get the birds in bulk at the start of the season  ;)

I started this thread at the beginning of last season..... :005:

dohhh..... you did too  :rofl1:
helen & jarvis x

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 06:38:46 PM »
We went to two farmers markets today, both were selling pheasants (feathers and all) there were loads of them and very very cheap. Is there a farmers market near you?

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 06:44:12 PM »
We went to two farmers markets today, both were selling pheasants (feathers and all) there were loads of them and very very cheap. Is there a farmers market near you?

Oh yes, I get rabbit there sometimes, but there are never any pheasants  :(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club