Author Topic: Working advice  (Read 2036 times)

Offline poppyhunter

• Site Member
Working advice
« on: December 18, 2007, 07:40:01 PM »
I'm new to the breed and would like some advice.

I've a working Cocker 5 months old and would like some advice on what training we could do. She currently goes to normal obedience but would like to get her involved in some form of working in the Sheffield area.

Any advice appreciated.

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Working advice
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 08:12:11 PM »
If you want to train your dog to work your best bet is to look for a good gundog training club in your local area or a professional trainer who gives lessons. The Kennel Club can provide a list of accredited clubs and societies and The Gundog Club is also worth a look, they organise training groups in a lot of areas.

If you want to do a bit of reading on the subject 'Training Springers and Cockers' by Mike Smith, 'Training Spaniels' by Joe Irving and 'Gundog Training Made Easy' by Eric Begbie are all worth a look. There is also the NOBS forum for advice on training and working dogs and making contacts for beating and picking up - www.nobs.org.uk
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline poppyhunter

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 02:27:58 PM »
excellent may thanks  :D

Offline LB

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 10:51:48 PM »
Basics must be done before anything further.

1. Have your cocker sit when you stop walking (on the whistle if you intend to do trials)
2. If you achieve #1 it will sit at distance when whistled.
3. Stay when you say so and you must be able to walk at least 20 yards without it breaking.
4. Come to you when you bid it to.
5. And this is the most important one, heel when walking without constant reminder.

Without these working all other training activities will suffer measureably.

LB

Cazzie

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 11:45:37 PM »

1. Have your cocker sit when you stop walking (on the whistle if you intend to do trials)
3. Stay when you say so and you must be able to walk at least 20 yards without it breaking.
5. And this is the most important one, heel when walking without constant reminder.

LB

:005: Sorry could helping laughing, but not laughing at you im laughing thinking about how long it has taken me to train sweepie in her 2 years just to sit, and she only does it when she feels like it  :005: Infact all of the above still does not apply to my working cocker, em well it does now and again :005: Little madam  :005:

Offline LB

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 03:58:06 PM »
I can asure you that my Sweep does all the commands but not always in the right order and I wouldn't change him for anything.

Cockers are little people and not like any other breed I have had so far ;)

LB

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 06:24:17 PM »

LB

:005: Sorry could helping laughing, but not laughing at you im laughing thinking about how long it has taken me to train sweepie in her 2 years just to sit, and she only does it when she feels like it  :005: Infact all of the above still does not apply to my working cocker, em well it does now and again :005: Little madam  :005:

Well I'm still working on sit and stay with Penny and she's 5 ph34r:005:
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.