Author Topic: A question about shoots and woodcock  (Read 1453 times)

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
A question about shoots and woodcock
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:30:13 PM »
I was chatting to our local stalker today (he provides most of the local venison in these parts) about shoots, and how I wished I'd had the opportunity to train Chloe for working.

He said that traditional pheasant shoots are "dying out" (I think that's how he put it) and that folk want to pit their wits against wild birds now. He said that we have a healthy population of woodcock here and, as cockers were originally trained to flush woodcock, I got to wondering why Skye folk haven't capitalised on this. There is one estate I know of in the south end of the Island, where they have woodcock and some pheasants, but from what I gather, its a fairly low-key, small set up.

So, for those of you who work their dogs, do you agree with him?

Him and a few friends apparently go out for a days shooting now and then with their dogs (I might ask to tag along one day). He also told me that he'd been approached by a guy from Ireland last year, who wanted to come over here with a group of mates to shoot woodcock and was prepared to pay thousands! He refused, cos he was worried about it not being professional enough for them.

Any thoughts? Could I open up a shooting estate? (Just kiddin on that last sentence obviously  :005:)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
Re: A question about shoots and woodcock
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:52:45 PM »
No thoughts I'm afraid as I'm a failed gundog trainer  ph34r. However the 'stalker' reference made me chuckle. I'm a city girl so when move to the countryside and had a patient tell me one of his hobbies was stalking scared the life out of me!! :o :o

I now know that he didn't mean that kind of stalking!  :005: :005:

Sorry Sue, going off topic! I'll shush now  ph34r

Offline milly

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 09:51:44 PM »

He said that traditional pheasant shoots are "dying out" (I think that's how he put it) and that folk want to pit their wits against wild birds now. So, for those of you who work their dogs, do you agree with him?

I have no knowledge of your area Sue but pheasant shoots are plentiful in my area with keepers busy managing stock at the moment. Here woodcock are secretive little birds and highly prized, if anyone gets a left/right on woodcock it's treasured because you would be lucky to see them in pairs. At the end of the season woodcock tend to be left and the guns let them go.
The 'Shooting Times' has a woodcock club but to be in it you have to shoot a witnessed left/right and the gun must not be lowered between shots, not easy to achieve.
I've got two little pin tail feathers in my hat from last years season and I treasure them.
Milly

Offline millrace

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 09:54:44 PM »
big shoots are finding it hard in the currrent money times,,unless your loaded its just to expensive, hence people want to find that free wild bird to shoot..... ie the woodcock!!!!!!
cockers and woodcock are great together after all thats how the breed came about.....
my dog had a great season with the woodcock last year her nose is coming on leaps and bounds in finding them,,, managed to shoot a few and miss loads..but im lucky in that i have several places where the woodcock can be found...
in many parts there are no woodcock and thats why people will pay a fortune to get a chance to shoot one if you havee them on sky treasure them and dont let them be exploited,,,
you don't train a working cocker......you negociate!!