Author Topic: A gun dog trainer I like - at last  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Sarah1985

A gun dog trainer I like - at last
« on: October 19, 2010, 08:30:39 AM »
When I first got my working cockers my OH wanted to take them gun dog training. It was one of the reasons we opted for a working dog. However I put my foot down and said no when I saw the training methods the guy local to us uses.  >:( It wasnt the sort of training I agreed with and I didnt want it to have a negative affect on my dogs and out relationship with them.

However over the weekend I spoke to someone who was training her dogs up with a lady whose just started running classes. I went to see one of her classes and was very impressed. So Ive signed us up for a one to one (well one on two as Im taking both dogs) on sunday. If all goes well Im going to sign up for a series of classes or for a regualar weekly one to one

Im very excited to see how my two do and I know they will love the challenge. Plus its something me and the OH can do together with the dogs.

Im alittle bit worried that all the obedience training Ive done that I might have trained out some of their natural ability. They are very calm, chilled, controlled spaniels compared with other working cockers I see. ph34r

Does anyone have any tips or pointers for things I can do to prepare?

Offline aliceandlouis

Re: A gun dog trainer I like - at last
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 08:50:24 AM »
No hints or tips, being from the 'show' side of things, but just wanted to wish you well at the weekend.  It is so warming when you meet a trainer who you feel in step with, so I really hope it works out well.

Enjoy  :D

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »
Enjoy it! Even if they don't have enough drive or you don't end up actually working them (it's not something I would want to do because as I've got older I've become too soft and don't like seeing things shot for sport), but they'll still love the training and so will you... it's the only activity that makes sense to my Weim and the only type of thing she'll agree to do (most of the time :005:)

If you're going on Sunday and you like the trainer, I'd wait until then and be guided by her rather than trying to do anything or prepare before you go ;)

Good luck!

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline stephremon

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:27:26 AM »
My mum had the same problem for years with her flat coated retriever... She has now found somewhere she can take both Brooke and her cocker Jenson. I plan to take Poppy along soon :) x

Offline black taz

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:38:12 PM »
glad you have found someone you like - it will make such a difference.

good luck

Offline Black Red + Yellow

• Inactive
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »
Be relaxed and enjoy yourself.  Be ready to laugh off things that 'go wrong' - it's happened to everyone......the first retrieving on a shoot Finn did is still talked about - he was sent to retrieve a pheasant which he did beautifully -  running straight past every single one on the shoot back to the nearest land rover....he was very pleased with himself and no one was able to take his spoils! 

Offline Cath

• Site Member
  • Breagh
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »
Hope you had a great time and the dogs enjoyed it  :D

Murron

Nothing beats the unconditional love of our doey eyed spaniels.
Cath, Breagh, Caoimhe and my angel at the bridge Milly.

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 08:26:20 PM »
Hope you had a great time and the dogs enjoyed it  :D

Yea we had a brilliant time. It was just an assessment this week so she could get an idea of where we were up to the things Ive done privately. But shes lovely and its was nice to get a different perspective on things. Im looking forward to formalising my training

We've got a couple of weeks  before my next lesson but Ive got plenty of things to keep my occupied. All of the things my two can do are trained to voice commands so we've been set the homework of moving over to using a whistle for recalls and sits so that next week we can start on some new exercises.