Author Topic: bewildered  (Read 2038 times)

Offline praia

Re: bewildered
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 12:58:45 AM »
The best way to socialize a puppy with other dogs is with older dogs that are well-trained and well-socialized themselves.  Although puppy parties can be fun and be a nice place to meet other dog owners, it also so easy for puppy parties to turn into a fray where timid and submissive puppies are bothered by other pups if they aren't closely monitored.  Honestly, I don't see how a puppy can learn much about manners from other puppies who don't have any manners themselves.

I never took my Cocker pup to puppy socialization classes and we never allowed her to meet and greet with any other dogs besides our own and our friends' dogs.  She's very well-socialized, because although she didn't meet many dogs when she was young, she met well-mannered dogs that encouraged her to be confident and taught her how to be polite.   

I wouldn't allow a young pup to approach or be approached by any strange dog whose temperament and past history I am not aware of.  It only takes a few bad experiences for a puppy to lose confidence and start reacting badly to other dogs.

Offline Bluebell

• Limited Member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 07:33:06 AM »
I live in the Bournemouth area! Thanks for all the replies! At home if Bracken not sure of some thing he will bark at it, then once used to it he's fine, same with young children he whined & was bewildered but he met some more a week later & was fine, it's the first encounter! Weird as he's a terror at home & a baby outside! X
There are alot of COL ers in the south, and quite a few in the Bournemouth area  ;) There is a board for COL meetups - I'm sure you would have a good response if you wanted to arrange one  :D
Re the JRT - they are very much an 'act before think' kind of dog, really bad luck  :'( - though I agree with all of Praia's post ;)

Offline debbiedaywalker

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 07:53:42 AM »
I think that you did the right thing by picking your pup up, he doesn't need to interact with dogs that are not puppy/dog friendly. It's one thing being told off by a friendly dog, which a lot of pups need from time to time and being set upon. Both my previous pups have been set upon when minding their own business, I used to trust other dog owners' to control their dogs' or at least to warn me, but unfortunately not everyone does. I am certainly not letting my new pup meet dogs' that I don't know.
It is a good idea to put a card up at your Vet's to meet other owners' of dogs' that are puppy friendly. I would love to oblige but unfortunately am too far away from you.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 10:32:36 AM »
I still pick Teal up if she is being approached by a strange adult dog and never let her go to another dog which is not on a lead unless I have spoken to the owner of the dog and its OK with them, she is very bouncy and thinks all other dogs are puppies that want to play and some dogs just dint like this kind of puppy behaviour.

There are some not so good owners out there but also lots of really responsible owners who will be happy to have your dog mix with their dogs, just talk to them first and introduce your pup slowly, this is also a good way of making some new friends.

I would not worry to much about the JR incident most puppies are resilient little things.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 10:48:29 AM »
The best way to socialize a puppy with other dogs is with older dogs that are well-trained and well-socialized themselves.  Although puppy parties can be fun and be a nice place to meet other dog owners, it also so easy for puppy parties to turn into a fray where timid and submissive puppies are bothered by other pups if they aren't closely monitored.  Honestly, I don't see how a puppy can learn much about manners from other puppies who don't have any manners themselves.

I never took my Cocker pup to puppy socialization classes and we never allowed her to meet and greet with any other dogs besides our own and our friends' dogs.  She's very well-socialized, because although she didn't meet many dogs when she was young, she met well-mannered dogs that encouraged her to be confident and taught her how to be polite.   

I wouldn't allow a young pup to approach or be approached by any strange dog whose temperament and past history I am not aware of.  It only takes a few bad experiences for a puppy to lose confidence and start reacting badly to other dogs.

I agree with Praia on this.....with your puppy being so young & learning about the big wide world out there it is imperative that he/she has lots of positive experience's with adult dogs.  :shades: 
Years ago i made a mistake with Nina when she was a puppy & allowed 3 huge lab's to pin her down (whilst the owner's came around the corner having a good laugh about it  :o >:D). At the time i never realised how much it would affect her as she matured.  :'(  Its possible if you have a very confident puppy then no, they wouldn't be affected by a telling off but on the otherhand if they are nervous/hesitant etc it may well affect their future encounter's with other dog's.  :-\
Nowadays, if i ever think that any of mine are in danger from an attack i would rather pick them up than have them harmed.  :shades:  I know some people wouldn't agree but we all do what we think is best for our dog's.  :luv:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 10:56:34 AM »
sorry Maria ...have only just seen this ...now your other post makes sense  ;)  :lol2:

prepare yourself for meeting...... Tinkerbelle :luv:  - the perfect little stooge dog that holds no prejudices   :005:  (you'll soon see why  ;) )

Lindsey x
If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »
Hi Lindsey, it was great meeting you & the adorable tink, yes she is one special dog, bracken is fast asleep now don't know how long for though! Lol! He had a long pee when we got home! Give me a ring when we can meet up again! I am very pleased with how it went! X

Offline lindseyp

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 04:09:42 PM »
You're very welcome Maria - was good to meet you both too  :luv: 
& will be lovely to repeat again soon.   Tinkers snoozing away too ...under the christmas tree  >:(  :lol2:
Could u tell I was just a tinsy winsy bit smitten with Bracken   :004: :004:
off to work in a mo but will try & post the pics later ......think you might like them  :shades:  :luv:

lindsey x

If your dog thinks you're the best.....don't seek a second opinion!!

Offline Ninasmum

• Limited Member
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 04:48:31 PM »
You're very welcome Maria - was good to meet you both too  :luv: 
& will be lovely to repeat again soon.   Tinkers snoozing away too ...under the christmas tree  >:(  :lol2:
Could u tell I was just a tinsy winsy bit smitten with Bracken   :004: :004:
off to work in a mo but will try & post the pics later ......think you might like them  :shades:  :luv:

lindsey x

Awww puppy cuddles  :luv:  Who could resist  :021:
Isn't it lovely there is always someone close by, considering its a pretty huge world out there  :shades: :blink:

Nina, Jo Jo, Georgia & Alfie

Offline *Marie*

• BRACKEN
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »
Yes would love to meet up again, just give me a ring, looking forward seeing the photos! X

Offline debbiedaywalker

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 06:09:26 AM »
Aw I'm so glad you both had a lovely walk and Bracken has a lovely friend to play with  :luv: I look forward to seeing the pics.