Author Topic: Got a new puppy Rusty  (Read 2863 times)

Offline MGault

Got a new puppy Rusty
« on: December 25, 2018, 09:26:57 PM »
Hello All,

I have been blessed with being given a a new Golden Cocker. Unfortunately we didn’t get him from a breeder it ended up being a Puppy Farm however to us it doesn’t matter where we got him as he is a total bundle of joy and happiness.

He has just had his first jab and awaiting his second jab. We have started taking him outside to start to get used to where we live, the sounds and to toilet where possible.

We didn’t know exactly what food he was on as the guy was shaded when asking so we went to Pets at Home and bought the Royal Canine Cocker Junior food as a good place to start, he took to the food really well and had a bit of diahrrea which was disappearing until the first jab and then it came back apparently due to stress?? Has anyone had this before??

I’m new to puppies and puppy training and spent a good few days trawalling through this forum using tips etc which helps greatly.

He has a lot of toys to keep amused, slowly starting the crate training with him which is painful at night but good during the day, we have a radio on at night quietly for background noise to help him feel comfortable and in company.... is there anything else I can do?? I left a jumper that I’ve worn with him for my scent which seems to be hit and miss.

I might be posting a lot for advice if I can’t find it on here lol.

Thank you in advance and any tips or advice will be very much appreciated!

Matt

Offline ips

Re: Got a new puppy Rusty
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 10:17:35 PM »
Welcome aboard
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 07:41:04 AM »
Hi Matt and welcome!

You sound to be doing all the right things with your pup  :D and most importantly have a sense of humour, which is a much needed attribute with cocker pups, that plus a ready supply if wine/beer and chocolate  :shades:

Getting your pup into a routine is my top tip - plenty of sleep with short spells of play / outside time (walk upto 5 minutes for every month of age, 2-3 times a day).  I made the mistake of thinking my first cocker would let me know when she was tired - shes coming up to 8 and only now puts herself to bed!

There is a wealth of information on this forum and plenty of experienced owners who will do our best to help.

Jayne

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 07:44:13 AM »
Hi and welcome! You‘ll find lots of good advice on here, there‘s loads of older posts to browse through but if you‘re not sure, just fire away, there‘ll always be someone listening.

Offline Barry H

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 01:48:01 PM »
I might be posting a lot for advice if I can’t find it on here lol.

Thank you in advance and any tips or advice will be very much appreciated!
Welcome to the forum, Matt!  It's a goldmine here - like WikiCocker...

Best single piece of advice I think is whenever you get fed up/annoyed with the little chap, take a deep breath and just remember that
1  they're with us for far too short a time to get annoyed with them and
2  all training takes longer than you think it will and needs more patience than you think you have.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 02:09:26 PM »
Exciting times ahead!  BarryH is spot on, there will be times you are beyond frustrated, but just take both of you out of the situation and don't let it worry you.  Welcome to the forum, looking forward to lots of updates!

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
Welcome aboard, the diarrhoea could be an infection which is common in puppy farmed pups, maybe he should be on puppy rather than junior food? It a learning curve, good luck.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline MGault

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 06:41:25 PM »
Thank you all so much this forum alone has helped a lot and slot of searching saved a lot of worry. Can’t wait to keep asking and gaining advice from you all and sharing some interesting adventure with my dude of pup!!!

Matt

Offline Digger

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2018, 03:47:10 PM »
Hi Matt-welcome to the counselling service otherwise known as cockers on line!
 Get your seat belt on- it could be a bumpy ride!!! :005:
Thought I'd check in with the funny poo thing- mine was terrible on and off when I first had her (she's 17 months now).
 Obviously, you should get rusty checked over by a vet due to him being very young and from a dubious situation.
In the case of my pup I did get some stuff from the vets initially but I think she is just a dog that is a bit up and down like that. Even now it does vary, she is affected by different things she eats and even in one day it might start with one or two really healthy looking samples, and as the day goes on, and with excitement etc they become looser but I tend to worry less now unless there is anything extreme as I know the dog and she is otherwise fit and healthy. You have to be more vigilant with a little pup, until their immune system has built up and you know them better.
What I will say, that can help and do no harm is a little cooked pumpkin. This can help firm the poo and they like it, so perhaps use little bits if that instead of treats?
Good luck with your little chap-hell of a first dog!! ph34r :lol2:
You won't be short of lovely people to help you on here though.
See you in a couple of weeks when the biting kicks in hahahaha!
We all love our little land sharks though. They are hard work but so affectionate and funny. You will never be bored!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 12:46:05 PM »
Welcome to the crazy world of cockers!

The vaccination could have upset your puppy rather than stress, so I would think about not having the next vaccination until you know he is healthy (the paperwork inside the vaccination packs that you rarely see states that vaccinations should only be administered to healthy dogs).  Ignore your vets threats about your pup not being immune if you go beyond the magic witching hour).  If his poo is still runny, it might be worth having him tested for guardia (sorry if that is not spelt correctly), it is an infection of the gut I believe that is prevalent in some puppy farmed breeds.

Any pleeeeaaassse do not have the Lepto vaccination.  It is not a core vaccine and has killed many otherwise healthy puppies / dogs and compromised the health of others (mine included in the latter).  It is only a bacteria that is treatable with antibiotics and hardly seen in the UK in spite of epidemic claims by greedy vets.

Offline MGault

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »
Well we take little rusty to th vets this morning as his tummy has been getting worse..... the vet has given us Metronidazole anti biotics, Pro Kolin paste and panacur to rule out any other parasite kind of infection. He took well to the tablet and panacur liquid, hopefully he’ll take to the Pro Kolin with dinner later on in the day.

He’s now crashed out on the floor feeling very sorry for himself.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 06:59:47 PM »
I have fostered pups in past and they have often had loose poo. Once you rule out any vet issues I tend to get a good diet (for sensitive stomachs like proplan) then feed more meals but smaller ones - so if you're feeding them 4 times a day then feed them 6 times but total for the day is the same but each meal is smaller than you'd give if only 3/4 times a day - it means its easier to take small quantities than larger ones on their stomachs
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline MGault

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 09:55:39 AM »
I have fostered pups in past and they have often had loose poo. Once you rule out any vet issues I tend to get a good diet (for sensitive stomachs like proplan) then feed more meals but smaller ones - so if you're feeding them 4 times a day then feed them 6 times but total for the day is the same but each meal is smaller than you'd give if only 3/4 times a day - it means its easier to take small quantities than larger ones on their stomachs

Than you very much PennyB, we have started with giving him more but smaller meals through out the day so hopefully this will work as Well! He’s coming back to proper life and currently like bambi on ice haha!

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 12:11:09 PM »
I am in a similar situation with my pup who has now just had her second vac, and will be able to go out next week, we gave up on the night crate because the pup made such a racket(being in a bungalow you cant get away from it) and this also upset out older dog, she now sleeps in the 2nd bedrm with OH whilst the older dog and I sleep in another. The weather has messed up the toilet training, but fortunately she seems to like being outside so we have built a tiny dog flap into our conservatory sliding glass doors and she uses that , tho not always appropriately, and she still has accidents in the house, tho she has only been here two weeks. She doesn't sleep as much as I would like and is constantly on the go, desperate to be with the older dog, but when she is she pesters and jumps on her non stop, which is getting to be a nuisance for all concerned...