Author Topic: Puppy Food - Diahorrea  (Read 1830 times)

Offline MGault

Puppy Food - Diahorrea
« on: February 27, 2019, 11:23:29 AM »
Hello All,

So i am having some issues with rusty at 4months old with his food,i started him off on royal canin cocker pup food due to not knowing what food he was on, he soon went off of it having diahorrea  now he is on skinners field and trial puppy but still having the squits, the vets have cleared him of other issues like worms etc and its down to diet.... they have suggested using hypoallergenic food however there is so much out there....

Can you suggest anything??

Thankyou so much in advance!!

Offline ChrisS

Re: Puppy Food - Diahorrea
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 12:04:23 PM »
Smudge our 11 month old show cocker has had 1 or 2 bouts. The first was caused by a reaction to apple. He has been on the same food since he was weaned so we were confident that it wasn’t the food (AVA medium puppy food from Pets At Home).One of the things our vet prescribed was a pro biotic. This has worked a treat and he gets a scoop very day. The one that was prescribed was Protexin Pro Fibre. We now get this from Amazon.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 12:25:51 PM »
I would feed white fish or chicken with rice for the next 3 days, split this into 4 small meals as this will help Rustys stomach cope and hopefully recover.

Procalin (spelling) is also a good one to add as this should help the friendly gut bacteria.

I always have Dorwests Tree bark powders just in case as this also helps.

A change in home etc can upset them for a while and sometimes finding the right food for your dog can be a bit hit and miss.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 01:26:55 PM »
Hi, Has your vet checked for Giardia?  Only asking as my dogs all had it last year - one of them suffered really badly and ended up hospitalised.  Through all his treatment which included scans and x-rays for blockages,  he wasn't tested for Giardia until I suggested it...  Only asking as intermittent diarrhoea is a symptom.

Otherwise, mine are all currently on Millies Wolfheart and they do brilliantly on it.  One of them had allergies as a pup and never settled on Skinners, so I changed him to Simpsons puppy sensitive.  Has no rice/ grains - potato instead - and he settlled really well on that.  So that may be another option to try.

Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 01:31:12 PM »
Hi my Marley was having an issue with certain proteins such as any dry food with pork or beef as the main protein source. It was a food for working dogs and what I found was there was too much protein percentage.  I switched him onto a dry food csj fit n fast which is wheat and rice free the main protein is salmon and I've had no real problems since. I suggest trying him on a food with fish as the main protein source and see how he gets on. Maybe the food he's been eating is too rich.

Offline MGault

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 07:45:25 AM »
Thankyou all, currently back on white rice and chicken with him however we woke up to a massive dirty protest in his cage this morning which is very unlike him so iff we pop to the vets!!

Thankyou again for everyones advice :)

Offline Ambler54

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 04:01:16 PM »
Had constant issues with Rosie, everything seemed to upset Her, especially Her injections...We would seem to sort Her out then a week later off we would go again.Then nothing worked and eventually She was tested for Guardia which came back positive, took a couple of bouts of antibiotics, which probably contributed to the problem.Then we couldnt settle Her tum down, She was so bad we wouldnt take Her out until we were sure She had emptied Her bowels and then take a bottle of water with us to wash where ever She had been as it was impossible to pick up...had some very embarassing moments....We tried all sorts of potions from the vets that would work while She was on them but within a couple of days she would be back to the runs.Then a vet suggested salmon and potato diet, suggested giving fish and sweet potato for a few days the. We found a product that had just that , no wheat or grains and We havent looked back.Vet also suggested supplementing with squash and sweet potato if Rosies tum was a little unsettled.....She is still on the salmon and potato wet food and kibble but can also tolerate small amounts of turkey and often has vegetables.She isnt good with chicken or rice..seems some dogs are not good with chicken.Which meant when we were advised to feed Her that she made no improvement.Good luck.

Offline MGault

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2019, 07:20:42 PM »
So we are now having to get three poo samples to send off for analysis.... hes currently on the Hills ID Bland tinned food which hes really taken to and is now giving us amazing solid presents when out. The vet who also has a cocker is going to test for guardia and also suggested trying him on Ava for sensitive digestion as her cocker is on that after not taking well to other foods, shes gone to stage of giving us a bag that she has spare which was very lovely (possibly feeling guilty for  all the vet bills aha)

Hes back to normal being the cutest cockerdile going and terrorising our cat until he remembers she boss and he runs away and gives her a toy to say sorry aha!!

Thankyou all for your advice we do all appreciate it here :)

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 08:09:11 PM »
Amazing the joy firm poops can bring!  :005:  Good that the vet is being so thorough and definitely worth getting the tests done.  That was a nice gesture regarding the food, hopefully things will settle down now and the cat will once again reign supreme!

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2019, 09:29:33 AM »
Your pup may have allergies against chicken and grains (very common) and without knowing what the litter were fed on before you had yours doesnt seem very responsible of the breeder (in my opinion) :shades: :shades:  Just check what is in the food you are feeding.  Agree that a potato and salmon with no grains would be a gentle one.  I feed raw so unable to comment on best brands etc.

Vaccinations can also affect their tummy.  Puppy food doesnt need to be fed, it is just the same as adult food but in smaller amounts (but some brands can be a little richer which wont help)

You can buy kefir from the Polish Dairy aisle in supermarkets.  It is worth giving a teaspoon on her meals as it is a good bacteria which might help heal her stomach and intestines.  Even a small amount of full fat natural cottage cheese too.

Before I had a dog, I would never have thought to celebrate a solid poo - but its something we do!  My vet tells me "you can kick a good poo"  :005: :005: