Author Topic: Crate type size for spaniel & does non chewable exist?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Blondeduke

Crate type size for spaniel & does non chewable exist?
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:59:02 PM »
Hi
I have never used a crate just a pen in past. So what size is recommended pls? Am not sure I will ever be able to shut a dog in one but everyone tells me dogs like their crates ? To hide in? I don't know?
Is there such thing as a non chewable non shred able safe type bed? My older dog I bought a brilliant gortex type which is still excellent condition ( I will use this for new pup, not sure if it will be chewed). I remember using old towels but corners did get chewed.
Any tough beds  recommended pls.
Thank you.

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Crate type size for spaniel & does non chewable exist?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »
Hi,
I never used a crate until we got Daisy.  Daisy was fully grown, as she was a rescue, and it was her foster mum who suggested a crate for her.  I was sceptical, but she loves it.  The door lies open all the time now, and she wanders in and out at will.  Sometimes she goes in there with a chew, other times just for a nap.  Initially we did close the door if we had to both be out together but the maximum she was left was 30 mins.  Now she has the run of the house.  Going back to the puppy issue and chewing, if you have a decent bed, don't use it initially, they can chew through anything! Stick with easily replaceable and cheap/recycled bedding.  If you are looking for something hard wearing at a later stage, have a look at Tuffies - https://www.tuffies.co.uk/browse
Her ladyship here has one and loves it.  Particularly inside the cage in the car as it is really solid and she doesn't get chucked about.  They are eye wateringly expensive, but they are extremely good quality.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 07:15:05 AM »
We bought a hard plastic travel crate for Humphrey (the sort used on airlines) which we could then use in the car and when we go to stay overnight anywhere. Its his familiar little den,  a secure mobile haven and we‘ve never had any problems if we‘ve had to leave him in a hotel room for instance.
Initially we used it at night or for very short periods in the day with the door closed, eventually we took the door off altogether. He doesn‘t use it much these days but will retreat into occasionally if he just wants a bit of peace and quiet!
I‘d never had them for my previous dogs either and was very sceptical but used properly and kindly (not for hours on end for house training, as is often recommended on some American websites I‘ve seen  >:( ), I think they‘re a great help.
Don‘t have any particular recommendations for a bed, sorry - I bought a cheap small one to start with but Humphrey was never much of a chewer anyway and even though he had a big grown up bed  :lol2: for his first birthday, he still prefers to curl up into the tiny originial one (with feet and head hanging over the edge!! )

Offline Blondeduke

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 05:48:41 PM »
Thank you I have been looking at plastic airline ones too & metal , my other half seems to think we managed before & keeps asking why we need one now! ....our puppy is being collected soon we have a bit of a drive plus it's more to transport to vets, groomer, or pop in car on my own just to keep him safe & contained! I remember buying a car harness to fix dog in car last dog which was an utter waste time. ( he did have julius brill harness for walks)
I did use a puppy pen last time & still have it, but as pen was so small I used it to line the walls of our utility to make more room. However it's still in great condition, been used chickens etc  I will use old towels for bedding, until the young nibbler stops that bit. It's like toddler proofing our home again.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »
https://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/carriers/metal_cages_and_boxes/221150
This is the one we bought for Daisy, it is really good, and I have recommended it to a few others who have been equally impressed.  It is permanently installed in the living room, so may not suite what you want it to do.  Toddler proofing and puppy proofing are pretty similar  ;)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 05:05:11 PM »
Gemma has a Atlas 100. uses it in the house and when travelling
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 02:03:36 PM »
I have a 9 week old girl and she just wont entertain the crate, she will go in to eat or for treats thrown in, but shut the door and she sits and wails and gets stressed, it is handy for emergency situations, like to feed my older girl unhampered etc, but only literally for minutes..never used a crate previously despite having had Cockers for the last 40 yrs....

Offline Blondeduke

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 11:41:34 AM »
An update I bought a medium metal 2 door crate pet planet it's huge fits hubbies car but pup happy in it etc. No good my small Audi! Great price though.
I then got a very nice material nylon crate off amazon and it fits really well in my small car ideal for pup. I have a pen indoors so will only use for transporting. I regret not buying the Croft one I saw at Crufts where it was v good deal & the guy did tell me to go for smaller size. V nice well made product.
Must go ready for garden visit. Being kept puppy busy
I may invest Lintran car crate very nice indeed. I am finding my pen great still for newbie indoors ( had many years ago last dog) I only see crate good car TBH!

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 12:37:45 PM »
Puppy busy, that describes it perfectly! I am so glad you got sorted, and that all seems to be going well.  Keep the updates coming, love to hear how you are all getting on.

Offline Toofast

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 01:26:59 PM »
What size crate?
I was going to suggest 20" wide x 30" long = a Medium size crate. I notice that you have already bought a medium.
 This may look large to start with but our puppies grow so quickly. If used correctly it is a lovely quiet and safe den like place where our pets can call their own.

I am not a great believer in using crates/cages for places of punishment or where a dog is left conveniently, for hours on end while parents are out for long hours while working and then put back in the cage all night again. a22 >:(
Used with kindness they make lovely "dens" and sleeping places.