Author Topic: New monster arrived  (Read 1938 times)

Offline rubyduby

New monster arrived
« on: February 28, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »
We have just got a 9 week old bitch puppy, she is adorable and the usual piddling, pooing, inquisitive creature we all know. My other dog 9yr old topaz is a Cocker also, she is having a bit of a problem even wanting to be in the same room as the pup , and my dreams of them sharing a bed fizzled out last night...ll. Pup was put in pen and yodelled an whimpered, so for the first night OH decided she could cuddle with him in one bedroom, whilst I let Topaz sleep unmolested on her own bed in her room with me.Poor Topaz  was so overcome with it all she insisted on sharing a single bed with me...Puppy was on bed with OH, as we soon realised that cuddled and warm she soon dropped off...bliss..However apparently she woke him mid night by biting his nose, obviously this is not going to work and we need to set rules for her. Honestly not sure how to go about it as Topaz wont go in the room if pup is in her den, and he wailing and whingeing does disturb her, I know it is early days and Topaz is already less stressed, I am thinking about getting a dog cage, but just wondering if their is anything I could try to help her sleep feeling safe, might even try leaving her in the living room and sleeping on the settee with her (wont be the first time in my lie) that way Topaz gets peace and quiet and gets to keep her own room etc. I feel guilty as Topaz and I areso close its unreal and I am terrified of doing anything to make her feel pushed out, which she will never ever be.I have had Cockers for 40 yrs, but a while since puppies, the last we bought 2 together and were great playmates and company for each other (an no older dog) ideas .folks, comments, want this to work and I know its early days, but I feel need to set the precedents now

Offline Ambler54

Re: New monster arrived
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2019, 03:45:06 PM »
Following this with interest...would love another pup but have no idea how it would work with Rosie...must be quite stressful right now for you.Lots of people have done this with success there must be a ‘secret’ formula...good luck.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 09:16:33 AM »
Well so far, as we are slowly adapting and gaining some form of routine, puppy slept thro most of the night, and big dog knows to keep out of her way when she is being manic, she goes onto my bed in the bedroom out of range, when puppy is sleeping I bring her back into the living room and make sure in both rooms ,she gets a lot of fuss and attention. She no longer seems stressed and seems quite happy to snuggle into my jim jams whilst Amber gallops around. Topaz now as the benefit of sleeping on my bed at night, which she is happy to do and I think she sees it as an actual bonus from pup being here, she is taken out walking alone with a friend dog, nothing changes there.. , and we will start taking Amber with us albeit carried (not fully vacs yet) I am hopeful if we can keep this set routine all will benefit. I have had puppies put with older dogs twice before, and one was hard one was easy, dependant on the older dogs temprament , but none as old as Topaz, and she has become very attached to me since losing her sister last year.
BUT she is a very gentle dog and wont bite but just get out of the way or bark, but I wont let the pup corner or chivvy her, both have to learn but puppy most ,Hey ho just hope things continue as is, cant wait till she is vacced and old enough to be able to walk

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2019, 09:20:25 AM »
Some dogs just don’t like to share their space.  I do wonder if it’s crate training  :huh: our next pup will be in with Coral who seems pup friendly....

Pearl now lives with 3 other dogs and still won’t allow any to touch her and I’m sure would rather they were all in another room!  We don’t treat any differently.  When Coral arrived, Pearl was used to sleeping upstairs.  So the dogs would be equal in affection and treatment I moved her downstairs in to the kitchen with Coral who was created for safety.  It took a few evenings but they settled and will share a crate if asked to but will never volunteer to sleep next to each other!

I think if you molly coddle Topaz you may be creating a “her and it” type scenario and run the risk of the pup being harmed once her puppy licence has expired - set the boundaries as you say but treat both as equals and as dogs  ;)

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2019, 09:26:32 AM »
Yes I see what you are saying, but I have always given Topaz a lot of attention since her sister died last year, and I don't want her to feel she is getting 'less' attention, as I wrote above she hops away when pups manic and I bring her back in when pup sleeping, and so far this routine seems to work, we have only had pup 2 days...sooo

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 02:07:17 PM »
We seem to be winning (touch wood) the crate seems a no goer, but if I bring the older dog Topaz in when puppy has calmed down a little, I can get them both on the sofa, lying down and we chill out  in a goup, albeit with me in the middle, pup keeps trying to dive at Topaz, but she has realised I wont let it hassle her, and she is definitely easing around it...but she is a wonderfully tempered dog, the secret is not to push it, but when one hurdle is clearly overcome, just move the line slightly

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 04:13:41 PM »
That sounds like good progress, long may it continue!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2019, 09:07:03 AM »
Just wondering how you are getting on with the pup?

Our new addition came home last week.  So far, Pearl has been the most accepting, even trying to play with her. Coral is trying to train her and asks when she needs to go out - which is hilarious as it took 2.5 years to house train Coral and even now it’s low priority and she sometimes forgets  :lol:

Sally appears indifferent but has allowed the little one to sleep next to her for around 10 minutes.  Purdey is ignoring the pup - totally.  She either sleeps upstairs if Mark is home or volunteers to go into her crate if I’m at home......she’s spent 3 days crated now in preference to sharing any air space with the pup  :005: