Author Topic: Play biting my older dog....  (Read 1614 times)

Offline rubyduby

Play biting my older dog....
« on: March 14, 2019, 12:04:36 PM »
Well Amber as settled in relatively well, Topaz my 9 yr old tolerates her very well, and we all doze together on the sofa on the rare occasion that the pups is tired, unfortunately when she isn't tired she continually pesters my older dog, non stop till the older animal clears off away from her, is there anyway I can stop her doing this, we have a cage we she takes real exception to, and spends little time in it as she yelps and wails when locked in...she is a strong minded pup, but I know we need to have some ground rules, but would like  experiences or suggestions please

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Play biting my older dog....
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 02:27:03 PM »
Having a routine helps with my pups. They have feeding times, outside times for housetraining, play times and crate (sleep) times. Pretty much in that order. They aren’t ever allowed to pester the adult dogs. They are allowed to play/interact with the adults so long as the adults are happy with it. If it escalates to the puppy being a nuisance they (the puppies) are  crated. And very often when they’re ott, they’re over tired and go straight to sleep. Puppies need a lot more sleep than is obvious, and the adult dogs need peace and quiet and their own space. Crate training allows this for both parties. I’ve done this with the last 3puppies I’ve had. If ive learned anything about cockers over my 30+ years of having them it’s that they’re strong willed and can be manipulative (by virtue partly due to them being so cute!). They need consistency and rules. Good luck with your puppy. I do think she needs to be separated from topaz as soon as topaz stars being pestered.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 02:36:54 PM »
What Michelle said   :D. Also, in my experience when there is a new pup that pesters the older dog, they will tolerate it for so long and then put puppy in it’s place. They won't hurt the pup but sometimes a little nip will teach them respect. All dogs are different of course, this is just my experience. Maybe Topaz is too nice?  ;) :lol2: :luv:

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 03:43:04 PM »
When puppy Louis arrived on the scene poor William was absolutely shocked that he was going to have to share his home with such an annoying little creature  :005: so I made sure that he (William) had places to escape to for a bit of peace, and the opportunity to go to those places whenever he wanted to. His favourite was the top of the stairs.

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:58:19 PM »
We have had this problem with Maximus and Alfie.... Unfortunately when Max first joined our family, Alfie just wanted to play and love him so let him get away with murder.  Dexter, on the other hand, told him off on day 1 and Max totally respects Dexter.
Poor Alfie's ears have really suffered and are still scabbed and sore.  Every chance he gets, Maximus nips at Alfie's ears, as he knows that Alfie won't tell him off.  We are constantly telling him to stop, but I am sure until Alfie tells him it is going to be a long time till poor Alfie gets his gorgeous ears back to normal.   
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 03:20:48 PM »
Things have eased off nicely with Amber far more restrained in her 'attacks' and tho my older dog has no teeth for nipping , she found her own defence of either swatting her down with a large paw or sitting on her head...lol..peace is more or less restored

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 04:44:01 PM »
 :lol2: Love the idea that the cheeky young pretender is being sat on!  :005: