Author Topic: Possession aggression  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Cromie01

Possession aggression
« on: April 22, 2019, 08:48:00 AM »
Hi 1st time post I have a 8 mth old golden bitch she’s is beautiful a dream really smart doesn’t even chew my furniture or other items I had her spayed at 6 mths I’ve noticed a few times when she does get something she’s either not allowed or a cap off a bottle she might choke on if you try and take it off her she snaps and snarls as if she’s going to bite the other night she had been sick and then was going to eat it as I was going to move her into a different room while I cleaned it she done it again and it really scared me I jumped back I’m pretty sure as soon as she done it she knew she had scared me I left her a minute and then put her in her cage in a room on her own I told her she’s not allowed to do this she hung her head in shame and I felt awful in tears anyone else had this problem I don’t want it becoming a problem I’ve 2 nieces them and there friends play with her everyday and I’m afraid incase someone got bit

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Possession aggression
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 09:20:39 AM »
Your girl sounds lovely

There are others on here with more experience of dogs being possessive who will offer advice.

I’ve not had this issue but have always taken the time to train my dogs to give up whatever contraband they’ve found.  If I want to take an item from the dog, it’s rewarded with another item (ball, toy etc) or if it’s a high value item to the dog I may use a treat or bit of food to reward.  We practice this a lot when they are young and 8 months is not old - ask her to bring you a ball or toy, take it from her and swap for another item or simply give it back to her, that way she knows that you are not going to just take her prize item each time.......

Dogs natural instinct is to hunt, flush, chase, catch, kill and eat it’s quarry (yes, even ducky toy...) we ask a lot of our furry friends to break that natural instinctive cycle and give up what they have.

With regard to sick - it’s very likely undigested food.  To a dog, that’s just a bit more of their meal.  Ours eat too quickly and will be sick, the older unspayed female will be sick with hormonal changes, we let them mop it up providing it’s safe to do so and they want to.  Dogs are savvy creatures and generally won’t eat it if they are truly unwell.  Yes, dogs really are disgusting creatures - fox poo rolling is only really one of their traits!  I would only remove the dog from the potential of eating their own sick if I thought it would be harmful to them - most of the time, it’s gone by the time I find the mop/ cloth and clear up what’s left!

I would suggest re-thinking how you are dealing with your dog with regard to possessions.  She’s a dog, not a child and even at 8 months will not be able to reason - taking things off her with no compensation may exacerbate this behaviour. 

If you are really worried about your girl with your nieces and their friends, I would suggest finding some help from a local behaviourist who will assess both of you in your own home and help with a training plan.

Hope the above is of help,

Jayne

Offline Cromie01

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 09:55:52 AM »
Thank you yes I agree she’s still only young and only done it a few times she’s very good for her age do many I’m expecting to much from her she’s so friendly and placcedd and loves people I will start a little more training with her thank you 

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 11:11:39 AM »
Hi And welcome. You are not alone. This is not an uncommon problem and many of us here have had issues with it it various degrees of severity. Pearly has given some good advice. If you do a search in the forum for “resource guarding” you will find lots of threads full of advice that I am sure you will find very helpful.