Author Topic: 6m old not really eating  (Read 1636 times)

Offline MGault

6m old not really eating
« on: April 24, 2019, 05:47:42 PM »
Has anyone got any tips for helping my puppy trying to eat properly? At the moment we are feeding rusty AVA Nutritional as it seems to be the only food that agrees with his tummy, he used to really scoff it down however over the past week or so he has been really off with it and it take us having to sit with him some evenings and get him to eat out of our hands when he hasnt eaten all day. Im toying with the idea of changing his food or adding some wet food to it??

Has anyone else had this? Or could advise what else we could try as i dont really want to cause anymore tummy upset after finally getting it setted.

Thankyou!!

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: 6m old not really eating
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 06:25:43 PM »
I do think its quite common for them to start to get a bit picky around this age, - Humphrey did and I‘ve seen several similar posts on here.
I would start by not giving any treats at all, just to see if he eats better when he‘s really hungry. You could also take his bowl away after 15 minutes and not offer it to him again until the next mealtime. Obviously you don‘t want to make him miss too many meals but it won‘t hurt him to go hungry for a day and it will give you an idea whether its the food or something else. Be careful not to make a show of being too worried, (the little wotsits pick up on these things so quickly and use them to their advantage! :005:) Try not to get into the habit of leaving the bowl down, - I did that with my first dog and it became a real pain, it took him all day to finish his food which wasn‘t good in the hot weather. Could his teeth be bothering him?
It could simply be that he has infact gone off that brand of food, a spoonful of wet mixed in might also help, - (my last dog prefered a mixture of both), and if all else fails you might be best trying another one but I‘d do that as a last resort.
Hope that helps ?  ;)

Offline Digger

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 11:43:55 PM »
Hiya.
Really unconventional reply coming- I'll brace myself for criticism!
Our dog was plagued with runny poo on and off for ages when we first had her.
She came to us on skinners field and trial but quickly went off it. We tried Harringtons and tinned food but she quickly went off all of them and the tummy still persisted.
Vet suggested chappie which did help a bit with the tummy but she quickly went off that too and wouldn't touch it.
She is now fed on.......Chubb roll (3 different flavours) and Aldi's langhams complete dog food mixed together. She absolutely loves it, looks fantastic and her poos are perfect!
To top it all, total cost..about £4..a week!
(Plus treats... ;))
 :005:

Offline ChrisS

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 08:19:19 AM »
Smudge was on AVA puppy food. He was and is very food orientated. We had a similar spell at what feels like a similar age (he is now just over 1). We were recommended not to change his food. In our case it appeared to be linked to the development of his teeth.
Try softening the biscuits with water. This worked for us. It did take a bit of encouragement to get him to eat but after a couple attempts he was eating as normal. After about a week he was back on the hard biscuits.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 07:20:24 PM »
I am currently struggling with my girl who is 2 1/2 mnth, she is so finicky she wanted raw and ater several meals doesn't want to knw it, I decided maybe she didn't like raw so I bought wet food, now she doesn't want that, I end up literally hand feeding her, she is fit healthy and still lively as a cricket????? suggesitons anyone. If she is going to refuse both I will keep her on raw as that is my preference for her

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 10:40:39 PM »
Our previous dog went through a phase like this and it was adding some Lilys Kitchen wet food to his dinner that got him interested again. Do hope you can make progress, it’s a worry isn’t it?

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 10:28:41 AM »
I have tried lillys kitchen she wouldn't touch it, she is teething so I have to assume this is contributing to the problem

Offline Gerryjane

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 12:42:53 PM »
We have the opposite problem. Toby is manic for food of any description but we are struggling to find one that doesn’t give him horrible poos. He’s 13 weeks so the joys of teething will be upon us soon. Ido hope you can find a solution.